ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Town Meeting: Point System

107 41478
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hear ye, hear ye!

This is a town meeting about a new feature the Armor Games Team is discussing. We're asking for feedback from the loyal denizens of Armoria. Here are some basic rules of a "Town Meeting" thread.

- Be kind to the ideas of others.
- Try to make your feedback/idea clear, concise, and amazing.
- If you agree with another user's idea, quote the idea with a +1 to show that you like it.
- Mods/Admins can update the list as often as needed.

Topic of this Town Meeting: Armor Games Point System

Historically Armor Points or "AP" were a central part of the AG.com experience. Quests have taken their place, allowing users to earn Quests and compete on a leader-board. The Team has begun implementing the next phase of this: a points system that is based upon Quests that players earn. Currently this system has no name, but here is the basics...

Users will continue to earn Quests, but now Quests will be given point values based on how difficult they are to complete. Points will be counted up, and presented on a leader-board that will replace the current Quest count board. Certain point levels may unlock certain site features, this is yet undecided. Quests are currently the only way to get points that we've discussed.

Some questions to consider...

What would make you want to earn points?

What are some things these points could unlock on the website?

What would make this the greatest points system ever?

We love and value your feedback. But we also reserve the right to make the final decision on any features we launch. That being said, I'll be passing on the most popular ideas to the team.

~

General Ideas:

- Points Leader-boards on the side of the homepage. +2
- Point system should be unlimited, not limited. (Note, this means at any one time there is no limit to the amount of points earned, as opposed to a closed system where there is a maximum amount) +3
- Point system should retain the legacy name "Armor Points." +2
- Create a spendable point system, allowing people to purchase unlocks as with currency. +2
- Spendable Point System & Infinite Points will cause spam / bad idea. +4
- The system should be crafted so new users are able to reach the top.

Gaining Point Ideas:

- Gaining Points through Merits. +11
- Gaining Points through posting on the forums. +6
- Points for Comments/Posts may be abused. +4
- Some sort of website mini game like the AFD Coinerator to accrue points.
- Gain points (or Armatar?) for completing sets of Quests. +2
- Separate point systems for different aspects of the site. +1
- Give points for reviews. +1

Point Unlocks Ideas:

- Points unlocking exclusive Armatars. +7
- Points ranked-based system (Serf, Prince, etc...). +10
-- Ranks displayed next to names in forums. +4
-- Combining unlocked Armatars with current ranks. +2
-- Display badge to show what rank you are. +2
- Exclusive Forum unlocked after so many points. +1
- Allow users to unlock uploading their own Armatar +1
- Access to Beta Testing games. +1
- Unlock of premium content in some games. +1

• 107 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

-1 (million). I loathe IAPs. Adding them to the website is a rotten idea. I already get irritated with people who rank up faster by paying money because they didn't earn it. Paying for a place on a leaderboard is very, very dangerous. No.

I think you misunderstand, the idea is that you would be able to spend Armor Points to buy unlocks in games, not to buy your way to the top of the leaderboard. That being said, I give it a -1 myself.

Could anyone explain what exactly the ADF coin collector was? My computer was out of commission that day and I didn't check AG on my IPod so I only heard about it.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Could anyone explain what exactly the ADF coin collector was?

The AFD Coinerator was this year's April Fools' joke. On April 1, there was a pop-up thingy on the bottom right corner of every AG page that said AFD Coinerator. In random time intervals of up to a minute, you could collect AFD coins. Sometimes, there would be a bonus that made a certain collection much more valuable. There was also an AFD leaderboard. At the end, quests were awarded depending on the number of AFD coins collected.
riku_ullman
riku_ullman
1,148 posts
Farmer

This might sound weird, but I think AFG should remain exclusive to all of this. Points won't let you into the forums or beta-test games and features and whatnot. AFG is the only in-site area that requires actual money (store excluded) and anyone willing to pay should get access to that material. And heck, it's less than two dollars for a month. I'm supporting it even though I don't play games much just to help out AG. With enough support, they could reduce the number of ads on their site. :|

well no you are not supporting the site. you are paying the money instead of the ads paying for money. the only solution for this is to donate to AG, not get AFG+.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

well no you are not supporting the site. you are paying the money instead of the ads paying for money. the only solution for this is to donate to AG, not get AFG+.
Psst, @riku_ullman, hay psst! Ya you, they make more money from AFG+ then they do from the ads that that person has seen.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

@Ferret Is there any time frame for when this new system might come out?

riku_ullman
riku_ullman
1,148 posts
Farmer

guys will you stop minusing me if I get rid of the idea you can pay real $$$ for OOO? (real money for coins)?

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

minusing
What?
helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

Well, I just got here through Patrick's "Special Directive Alpha". I don't have much time, so I can't read all of this. I'll just vote for the ideas.

- Points Leader-boards on the side of the homepage.
+1

- Point system should be unlimited, not limited.
+1

- Point system should retain the legacy name "Armor Points."
+0 - in fact, I'm not very interested in the name now.

- Create a spendable point system, allowing people to purchase unlocks as with currency.
-1 - I don't like spendable points anywhere. I know that it is probably just my hesitance in spending, but I really don't like it.

- Spendable Point System & Infinite Points will cause spam / bad idea.
+1 - probably yes.

+1

- Gaining Points through Merits
+1 - yes, because only a mod/admin can give you a Merit. And he probably has a valid reason to do so.

- Gaining Points through posting on the forums.
-1 - no. Spammers' paradise.

- Points for Merits/Comments/Posts may be abused.
+1 - I don't think so for Merits, but surely for C&P.

-1 - you should earn them by your work, not by gambling them.

- Gain points (or Armatar?) for completing sets of Quests.
+1 - definitely yes.

- Separate point systems for different aspects of the site.
+0 - well, which exact aspects?

- Give points for reviews.
+1 - if "give" means "you wrote a review and I want to donate my points to you because I think that your review is marvelous".

- Points unlocking exclusive Armatars.
+1 - for sure.

- Points ranked-based system (Serf, Prince, etc...).
+1

-- Ranks displayed next to names in forums.
+0 - in forums? Profile or leaderboard would be better.

-- Combining unlocked Armatars with current ranks.
+? - I don't clearly understand this.

-- Display badge to show what rank you are.
+1

- Exclusive Forum unlocked after so many points.
+0 - I don't see much sense in that. But maybe, it depends on the content of this forum.

- Allow users to unlock uploading their own Armatar
+1 - that would be a "hooray" for me.

- Access to Beta Testing games.
+0 - no need for that, I think.

- Unlock of premium content in some games.
+0 - just as betatesting.

riku_ullman
riku_ullman
1,148 posts
Farmer

sorry @helpo1 for copying your stuff.

- Points Leader-boards on the side of the homepage.
+1

- Point system should be unlimited, not limited.
+1

- Point system should retain the legacy name "Armor Points."
-1 really? "Armor Points" sounds dumb.

- Spendable Point System & Infinite Points will cause spam / bad idea.
+0 depends if spamming gives you points, but if so, +1

+0 really? there is always the "hero of the day" and "hero of the week" and "hero of the month". but new users have easier quests to do. so I would suggest no point leader board.

- Gaining Points through Merits
+1 (million). you know how hard it is to gain those merits.

- Gaining Points through posting on the forums.
-1 (million). just no. 15 posts = the worth of 1 easy quest done? this WILL cause HUGE amounts of spam, spam and SPAM.

+1. as long as if it is harder to gain points that way than completing quests. as @helpo1 said, no gambling mini games.

- Gain points (or Armatar?) for completing sets of Quests.
+1. maybe even seasonal quest sets should be completed before gaining access to the contest winning armatars. (feel like people are going to minus that already).

- Separate point systems for different aspects of the site.
+0. what do you mean? are you talking about my third major request?

- Give points for reviews.
-1 (million). spammers will attack.

- Points unlocking exclusive Armatars.
+1.

- Points ranked-based system (Serf, Prince, etc...).
+1.

-- Ranks displayed next to names in forums.
+1.

-- Combining unlocked Armatars with current ranks.
-1. you unlock armatars with points and you unlock ranks with points, so this would not make sense.

-- Display badge to show what rank you are.
+1. same thing as one of the things above. (Ranks displayed next to names in forums.).

- Exclusive Forum unlocked after so many points.

- Access to Beta Testing games.

- Unlock of premium content in some games.
+1. get stuck in a game, so you go play another game to 1: gain some skills, and 2: get points from quests to unlock premium content.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Soft close of this topic for now, tomorrow I'll update everything and send feedback internally. Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

No problem!

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Can I just point something out about the fact that people believe that if posts in the forums will cause massive amounts of spam shouldn't be as worried as they are. Sure there will be some spam but the forum community is good enough to locate the spammers and have them reported. Plus it would be really easy to deal with the spammers seeing as there are so many people on each section of the forums at any one time. We already get spammed by bots, people spammers are the same, well no, they are Worse then bots. So the spam problem will always be there no matter what, plus the spammers won't be around long enough to do any real harm to the site, they always drop out after a day or two, just like the bots do. And so what if they make it into the leader board? When they get banned their name will get removed, plus spammers that make it into the leader board will be so much easier to find and deal with then just regular spammers. Just putting it out there that there will always be spammers no matter what and the battle against spam will never end.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@JACKinbigletters The issue is that moderators have to deal with this spam. It's not as simple as you lay out, and rewarding trivial behavior on a website isn't really the direction I think we wish to go. You could talk to moderators about how they feel about it.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Since you have soft closed it so you want my many cents on the topic or would it not be worth it.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Daleks Sure, go ahead.

Showing 61-75 of 107