ForumsNews and FeedbackMaybe tighten the security against spam bots

2 3796
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Lately I've been seeing a whole load of spam bots around the forum. especially from this user like these . I just think we should add some sort of stronger email confirmation to fight against these users. Instead of maybe just having texts, maybe a voice code. I'm sure new internet today won't hinder new real users from joining AG.

Just a suggestion because they have been shooting from everywhere.

• 2 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Some things to consider on this front:

1. These spam bot attacks typically come in waves. In other words, we are met with a week or two of heavy spam bot traffic followed by long periods of near silence.
  2. There are many measures in place to help curb the flow of spam messages. We only see a fraction of the spam that could be on the site. I know it can still be a lot, but this brings us to the next point.
  3. We must strike a balance between spam bot protection and accessibility. At the end of the day, spam bots are a nuisance - nothing more. If, on the other hand, we put strict measures in place to stop these bots, new users would have a frustrating time signing up. And this would be very bad for the site.
  4. And finally, if you spot a spam post that the mods seemed to have overlooked, just let one of us know. And thanks for your patience during this more active period.
StormWingDelta
StormWingDelta
72 posts
Shepherd

Spam bots are annoying yes but for every thing we can do the makers of them have ways around them. Best anyone could do is record the spam bot's messages and use some kind of dynamic regex or pattern matching codes to try and nuke them.

Showing 1-2 of 2