ForumsNews and FeedbackHelp This Forum Keep up with the Times?

10 4545
Colonel_KR
Colonel_KR
16 posts
Nomad

After having a look at this forum, I think it could use some new features common to many forums that I haven't yet seen here:

- A button that allows you to directly quote another person,
- A chart of emoticons,
- "Like" buttons,
- A more complex post editor,
- Custom signatures, and
- Maybe member blogs.

Anybody else in favor of these ideas?

Also, what's the name of the server that powers this forum?

• 10 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

- A button that allows you to directly quote another person,

I mean, you can technically do something like:

@Colonel_KR : - A button that allows you to directly quote another person,

I guess it could be implemented but I don't really see a purpose for it.

- A chart of emoticons,

I'm not too big on emoticons but that could be useful to people who use them.

- "Like" buttons,

That could actually work, along with a dislike button. I've seen it work with another forum and it worked.

- A more complex post editor,

What do you mean by more complex?

- Custom signatures

These things tend to make forums disorganized. So, I'd have to disagree with that.

- Maybe member blogs.

You mean like a diary? I'm kind of iffy on that.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

I have to agree with R2 on these matters.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Same. But what R2 said about signatures was very lightly worded. I hate signatures on websites....

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Quote buttons and like/dislike buttons would definitely help facilitate discussion in some ways, but the other 4 are pointless (does something but not worth the effort) to useless (does nothing), if not bad.

~~~Darth Caedus

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I think the simplicity of things here is already a good thing. Like a simple medieval life compared to a disorganized industrial life. And, I hate custom signatures.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

@Colonel_KR

The idea of custom signatures has been brought up quite a few times in the past, only to be shot down. The general feeling was that AG wanted to keep their forums streamlined and simplistic. Personally, I feel that custom signatures won't mess up the site if we just impose a word/image limit, but people just don't appreciate such a form of vibrancy. There's probably not going to be anything done on the matter for a while, if anything.

I'm not sure what the server name is, or what they used to make it, but what I can tell you, is that they made it themselves, and didn't source it out to a third party.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

A chart of emoticons,

No, not the emoticons! People would be spamming with those all over the place. Only relatively low quality forms provide you an entire list of those things.

"Like" buttons,

Why? It's not like it really is important or tells us anything. (Not trying to sound negative, but I've just never seen the use of a like button in Forums.)

Great suggestions, just doesn't fit in with the community here.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I'm in favour of less gimmicks to force people to express themselves with words instead of button presses.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I'm in favour of less gimmicks to force people to express themselves with words instead of button presses.

Colonel_KR
Colonel_KR
16 posts
Nomad

Hmm...I see. Well, thanks for explaining everything, guys.

Showing 1-10 of 10