ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAdventure of a Forumnaut: Discussion Thread

2 4441
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This is the discussion thread for Adventure of a Forumnaut.

Feedback and general discussion about the story thread go here.

• 2 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Initial feedback I need is whether this endeavor will be worth it. That needs to be established before I continue on, mostly because this is very post heavy and requires more planning and foresight than a conventional story. I have more plans for this, but I always have more plans and everything is part of some long game.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It's proof of concept more than anything else at this point. I might have to throw in several more pages of actual story and not just set-up to get other people interested in this method of storytelling, but no one else has responded to the technique itself. This is a text adventure in the line of choose your own adventure type books. It would be easier for me to just program a text adventure, because that'd be easier that writing all of this out and back-editing the links, but the goal here is not the game itself. Eventually, I hope to branch this with greater community involvement with parallel stories.

I'm not really worried about readers cheating. The only way I might reasonably jumble the sections is if I released 100 parts at a time, but that's a logistic nightmare. I may, however, allow this to branch so much it's encumbering to check if it's even in the same story path.

I do plan on making at least one maze at some point, and there may be conditional actions, but you have a good point about spoilers. I haven't thought about how they might be dealt with yet, but a lot of the time people really don't read other posts, as evidenced by the same questions being asked repeatedly in the quest forum threads.

I haven't though up other puzzles yet, because I really want to avoid twinned parallel stories and cumbersome branches where there's a difference between choosing a>a>a, a>a>b, a>b>a, a>b>b, etc., because that doubles, triples, quadruples the work for less reward.

Showing 1-2 of 2