ForumsNews and FeedbackSomething NEW!

13 6451
R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

Armor Games is referred as a kingdom, right?. A kingdom of happiness and prosperity. There are different titles like "Knights" given to some special members which have contributed much to the kingdom.

So my idea is :-
Why don't we have some new titles for Moderators and Administrators?

Instead of Administrators they can be referred as WIZARDS.
And instead of Moderators they can be referred as WARLOCKS.
And the owner of the site Sir Daniel can be referred as KING or Wizzardmaster or only Master!

And if possible to put a new title as Assassins. I don't know where to put it but it sounds like a good idea to me

Hope you like this idea

• 13 Replies
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

First of all, these titles are for status, they are for information. Yes it would be cool that moderators and admins get new titles, but that would be like making it a popularity contest.

People have already complained before that it was just about knowing the right people and connections, and just being popular all in all. That's not the case, to be knighted you must be a noble contributor to the forums, basically a great person. having these titles may endorse inequality. And moderators, as much as they are respected, they want to be treated equally.

Second if we were to change the names, wizards and assassins hardly go with our theme, even if Kingdoms are what you are thinking of. I was thinking maybe, in order from highest to lowest - King (admins), Prince (mods), Knights. That's it. Though I still kind of disagree with the whole idea.

My point is, they are called mods and admins because they are mods and admins. Though it is nice to suggest that because, yes we are a kingdom themed community

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

@SirLegendary is correct, these titles are used for informational purposes, not as an indication of status. I would also like to delve a little bit more into why these names would not necessarily have a positive impact on the community.

Instead of Administrators they can be referred as WIZARDS.
And instead of Moderators they can be referred as WARLOCKS.

Which would require people, many of whom believe that wizards and warlocks are the same thing, to consult the About page every time they forgot which ones were the administrators and which ones were the moderators. It's not easy to remember when there's no indication of hierarchy in the title, so you would see an increase of reports of broken features and similar complaints to moderators, which they would then have to forward to administrators all because some people were unclear as to what the difference between the two jobs were.

Also, the moderators could have reason to find their theoretical titles offensive, as "Warlock" does have a much more negative connotation than "Wizard".

Taken from this article,

Wizards are generally viewed as good people with strong moral codes who also offer wise advice and assistance, and many fantasy stories feature a kindly wizard who helps the characters achieve their goals. A warlock, on the other hand, is sometimes portrayed as a much darker individual.

In some cases, for example, a warlock may be viewed as a more advanced wizard who works on more complex magic, and some people also consider warlocks to be more corruptible, delving into darker magic which can potentially turn them evil.

And there's still one more problem with the names in general.

In communities which do not distinguish between wizards and warlocks, these terms are typically used to refer generally to male practitioners of magic.

We do have female moderators as well as male ones, which would mean that one additional title would need to be put in place just to fit the theme. Unfortunately, if they were to go with the generally accepted female equivalent to both male titles, "witch" doesn't possess a positive connotation in everyone's mind. Not to mention that it would get even more confusing should a female administrator join the team.

Do I have to go into why "Assassins" would not work as well or is that even necessary?

I was thinking maybe, in order from highest to lowest - King (admins), Prince (mods), Knights.

Again, the gender thing would pose a problem. The female moderators, for example, would either have to accept a male-specific title, or there would have to be two titles for the same job.

Secondly, giving them royal ranks does imply a certain level of superiority, and it could cause some users to see moderators and administrators as intimidating rather than helpful. It could just as easily raise users to ask the question, "What does that make us, peasants?" and thus feel inferior to moderators, admins and knights simply because of the titles chosen for their jobs. Hierarchy is okay, provided that users are well aware that the only hierarchy that exists in the system is the set of tools provided for each job.

Third and finally, if you have three ranks that sound similar (king, prince, knight), but only two of them have actual power to handle reports of spam, broken features, etc, it's very possible that knights would be bothered with reports of things that they could do anything about. "Moderator" and "Administrator" are universal internet terms that mean "Report things to this individual", but in a kingdom setting, a &quotrince" is usually thought of as an individual who has the world at their fingertips and doesn't give a rat's toaster about anyone else. Like the "Warlock" title, it could easily be seen as offensive, but it could also lead to confusion about who to report things to. Since a "knight" can imply nobility and willingness to help others, people may be more inclined to report things to them simply because the name sounds more like what a moderator actually is and does than &quotrince" does.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@R1a2z3e4 It's a fun idea!

More important then fun, is that users know who they need to turn to when they need help. Or who to listen to when they are being mean to other users. The titles of Admin and Moderator carry the strength needed for their positions.

Also the titles of legacy on the site. But thanks for sharing your idea!

R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

Thank you all !

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

whoa, that's a great idea!
how about if regular players (like me) could have more than one title option and they unlock more titles as they get more quests, recieve upvotes from comments, rate games...?
and what about game developers had titles like "blacksmith"?

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

how about if regular players (like me) could have more than one title option and they unlock more titles as they get more quests, recieve upvotes from comments, rate games...?

It might be cool to have titles that are based on how many quests you have, or something similar to that. There did used to be a system like that, according to this thread, but it was gone before I made my account so someone who was been here longer will have to explain why they ditched it.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

^ @Arm_Candy is right. There used to be a ranking system. from Serf - King.
Though it promoted spam because by posting you would earn points.

Second, those were ranks. Titles on the other hand, like said, aren't for status, they are more informational. These suggested titles would only promote spam and maybe even inequality.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Can I be a wizard/sorcerer without becomming a moderator? Pwetty pwease??? *puppy dog eyes*

R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

and what about game developers had titles like "blacksmith"?

Nice idea!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

There used to be a ranking system. from Serf - King.
Though it promoted spam because by posting you would earn points.

It was mainly commenting that generated the most spam, while rating games were also basically free points. The system was more ideal for a site with a smaller number of users and games than this one had when AP was finally removed. Even now, a point system including forum posts wouldn't be a horrible idea, though forum gamers would surely thrive.

That system will probably not be returning to us, but unless this thread is merely a ruse, we should be seeing a new point system sometime in the future. As for ranks, that has yet to be announced.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Yes, there has been posts before telling of what might be a reopening of a points system. I think it was based on quests.

Also it would bring life to the forums again.

R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

The title Wizard cannot be used for Admins and Moderators due to some reasons as sir Ernie15 said.

So, can we use the title Wizard only for the owner of this site?

amorboy
amorboy
1,255 posts
Shepherd

Why wizards and warlocks or fictional roles !? why not actual historical roles like i dont know : emperor,king,duke,count,knight,squire(jobs like blacksmith or i dont know maybe healer or bishop or ...) or we can have titles !! like the way we unlock Armatars we should be able to unlock titles , or we can have titles that are added to our name like Amorboy The Bold or The champion or ... (yep im the best :P) and for new comers something like the new or the welcomed :P (THESE ARE EXAMPLES :P) or we can have both like someone becoming a lord can also choose a title for himself like : Lord Amorboy The Noble Or Count Amorboy The Brave (the titles should all be good and not insulting and for titles lower then squire we should put jobs then things like serfs or peasents ...)

The thing is i miss the old ranking system those days the forums had a beating heart ...

Showing 1-13 of 13