ForumsWEPRIs suicide a option?

28 12861
thebeast782
thebeast782
63 posts
Nomad

So.... every day people make a decision that will change their family. They commit suicide . Now... I know I might seem a little bad or washed out for saying this but, about 1 year ago i made plans to hang myself. Due to bullying and a recent family loss. But if people become depressed due to this and do kill themselves, is it their fault?

Now, there is a group that say it was because of their loss of respect, family. Or even because they did not want to be on this planet any-more. But overall i think (Warning: if you don't like my opinion, please don't bash on me.) it's the person's fault, sure, they were led to this but. Overall it is in the hands of the main man himself. (and woman)

Now, in every person's life, they WILL have some sort of suicidal behaviour.
But having it can effect your emotions, family, friends and overall everything. But if you do have some thoughts. Please, don't commit suicide.

But now, that i have talked about this, i think i have came to a conclusion. If everything is lost to them.. then i guess it really is an option .

Leave your thoughts below and share your opinion on this.
Have a happy day and life.

• 28 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

In theory, I think you should be able to make the decision to end your own life. In practice, I'd try to talk a healthy person out of it, or physically stop them, because there are ways they could get help, and allowing death through inaction would make me feel like a murderer.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

But if people become depressed due to this and do kill themselves, is it their fault?

Depression is a mental illness caused. Physically, in the brain, there's something wrong. It's not the person's fault for the way they feel.

Overall it is in the hands of the main man himself. (and woman)

Ultimately the person commits suicide because they no longer wish to live due to how they are feeling. So, yes, it is in their hands whether they do it or not, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have been helped beforehand.

Of course it's an option. Everything is an option. The question is whether it's good or not. There's a big difference between suicide because one is depressed and suicide because you have a terminal illness and you're simply suffering.

Now, in every person's life, they WILL have some sort of suicidal behaviour.

Erm. Source?

thebeast782
thebeast782
63 posts
Nomad

oh crap, forgot the source

[url=http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/frontpage-forensics/201312/suicidal-thoughts]

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The take-home message of the article in your link is that not everybody has those thoughts, though. On the contrary, your source agrees more with Kasic than with your opinion.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Oooh we are going for controversy now aren't we?
Okay, so here is my opinion in a super quick nutshell version. YES suicide IS an option, obviously, but I think it is ultimately the wrong decision and the wrong option.
Suicide is only a solution for the pain you are feeling for yourself; you just transfer it to those left behind. I have actually read a lot of suicide cases and suicide notes; part of the ending value and the mortal nature of it brings a kind of light on humanity I am enthralled with; and I have never seen a justified case where I was was okay with the person killing themselves. No it is not that person's fault they feel that way; but no matter how bad it gets, suicide is a choice and it is ultimately the person who chooses, not the person's condition such as depression. It is not their fault they are depressed, but they still choose to kill themselves. This is completely my opinion, so I cannot say objectively, but I have never seen a case where I would excuse suicide as not the person's choice. What needs to happen is some kind of intervention or action into that person's life so they know that it is a fight, and it isn't going to be pretty, but it is worth it. I think that when someone is at that level of their life; that is when they need someone else the most. When they want to be alone and isolate themselves (for killing themselves); that is when they absolutely cannot be alone. Yes suicide is an option, everything is an option. It is an option for me to become a serial killer and commit mass genocide; but it is a bad decision. I have slightly different feelings if someone is terminal, in which case it could be more of a mercy killing, but still I am hesitant to justify it quickly.
I have this strong value of human life though; so I am bias to believe that every human life is valuable and worth saving. I actually want to go into medicine for that reason, so obviously I am on an extreme in this issue, so I can't objectively look at something like suicide.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

and I have never seen a justified case where I was was okay with the person killing themselves.

Hitler?

but I have never seen a case where I would excuse suicide as not the person's choice.

There was a group of prisoners sentenced to death in old Japan (might've been China) that was tasked with committing ritual suicide in front of enemy troops as psychological warfare instead of being dishonorably brutally executed.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

The fact that you said "instead of" means they had a choice, regardless of the options.

Death X or death Y isn't much of a choice. It's distinct from the other examples because it wasn't exactly a solution to their problems.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Ritual suicide is not quite comparable to depression-induced suicide. One has to do with a very strict honour code and can be considered "rational" in the context, the other is clearly the result of a pathological condition that wasn't treated soon enough.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

If I'm speaking from a normal person's point of view, with at least one family member, and one friend, then I would have to say no. You end up putting your burden on those close to you. Yes it may be heavy, but the truth is, you add one more problem onto your pile of problems, and then add it to another person's pile of problems. Yes, you may feel a slight pinch for a short time when you commit this act, but those who love and care for you will feel the longest pain they will ever experience. That is what I see, it's not an argument for a debate, it's just what I feel. Yes, I have experienced a dreaded loss, so don't tell me it's an easy way out. It can be the hardest way out when you consider those you will kill inside after you are gone. Took me a long time to consider posting here, it's painful.

Literally, yes it is an option. Morally it is not an option.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

If I'm speaking from a normal person's point of view, with at least one family member, and one friend, then I would have to say no.

I agree. I'd say no myself but, its a normal person, who, like you said have some family members and at least one friend.

I don't know if you've ever fallen into real depression, but it really feels that you are never going to feel happy again in your life. Can you imagine it for a moment? I know I can't.

Though depression, like most sicknesses, can be fought with modern medicine, it depends on someone's mind (i.e. countless factors) on how long will it take to be cured. Some people cannot stand it for more than a few weeks so it isn't strange that suicide seems like a reasonable solution after such suffering.

To sum up, it can be considered an option for someone, but I think that, logically, it is not.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

@SirLegendary I agree completely.

Hitler?

He was basically cornered and took an easy way out, he deserved to be tried and killed for his crimes.
As for the case in China/Japan; again they had a choice, but I would not call that 'suicide' in the terms of what we are talking about. When someone jumps on a grenade to save others lives, then it could be viewed as suicide, but I do not think it is, you are really saving a lot of people and though you are taking your own life, it is not out of depression. Which seems to be what is being discussed in this case, depression based suicide.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

Suicide is always an option, but a ****ty one, by religious views you would end up in hell, and you are leaving the loved ones behind in misery and sadness cause of your weakness to be able to stand up to things in your life

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

and you are leaving the loved ones behind in misery and sadness cause of your weakness to be able to stand up to things in your life

Again, putting it like it is a weakness of character ignores the pathological nature of a clinical depression.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

but how does bullying depress you? I know how that sounds, but I literally want to know, I'm not trying to be a jerk or something.

Multiple ways. The first thing it can do is create an environment where you do not feel safe. It makes it so that every time you go to a certain area, you risk running into the people who are your emotional/physical tormentors. The second thing it does it ostracize you from the group. Everyone turns against you because they don't want to oppose the bullies and get targeted themselves, or because they don't want to be involved. This makes it easier for the bullies to get away with their actions and leaves you alone. The third thing it does, and what's probably the most damaging, is that it's a constant anxiety and worry. Over time it starts to shape how you act and where you go, what you do and what you say. In the case of online bullying, which people dismiss far more than in-school bullying, the effects of all these are greatly magnified, and I guarantee you that anyone being bullied online is going to be bullied in-school too.

Depression is actually a brain state. Not everyone who goes through what I described above will become depressed, but they certainly won't be happy either way.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Let's put it this way: In short, it depends.

The "type" of suicide referred to in the OP is fueled by depression. One may see no way out of his or her problems other than to end it all. This is a selfish reason to kill yourself, because you did not put into consideration the effect your death will have on the people close to you. Your death was unnecessary. It did not benefit anyone in any way.

There is also another type of suicide in which you will have to sacrifice your life in order to save the lives of others. In this case, this is an option, even a commendable course of action, since it is for the benefit of all parties involved. This isn't really considered 'suicide', like what @ellock said, since you are not looking for the 'easy way out'.

Showing 1-15 of 28