ForumsWEPRThoughts on the Christmas "hype"?

13 6721
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

So.. What do y'all think of Christmas?

I'm just saying I feel like it's too hyped up if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm saying that the meaning of Christmas has changed. Maybe for the better, maybe for the worse...
THOUGHTS???

• 13 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

It's a nice time of year. Houses decked out with lights, Christmas music on the radio, burning oneself with hot cider every time without fail....those things haven't really changed in my lifetime.

Who do you believe is hyping it up? Retail stores definitely take it very seriously in order to attract more business around this holiday, which involves, for many people, a great deal of purchasing, but that's nothing new.

Maybe I'm saying that the meaning of Christmas has changed.

Relative to what, it's original intention? Many people do still celebrate it to commemorate the birth of Christ, but there are still quite a few who celebrate in a secular way, which to many families means buying a bunch of stuff to give to other people, thus to many children, regardless of their faith, "Christmas" means presents and little more. Still, this is not something that's exclusive to the 21st century.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I like free stuff. Other people like free stuff. We all like free stuff.

Honestly, spending a little money to get someone else free stuff while they get you free stuff is worth it.

As for the original intention, Ernie summed that up pretty well.

~~~Darth Caedus

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

Who do you believe is hyping it up?
Exactly what you said. The retail stores, or big business's, that essentially make considerable amounts of money during this time of the year.

Although I suppose it helps out with the economy and such.

Relative to what, it's original intention? Yes, and not even the whole religion basis of it. Maybe it's the kids who expect the super expensive presents( the new Playstation, an Iphone, etc.) and when they do not receive that expensive gift, they aren't grateful for it. Let's just say the kid got some clothes for Christmas, and he throws a huge fit over the fact that he didn't get the new iPhone, or whatever.

I may be making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is, but that's just me.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Yes, and not even the whole religion basis of it. Maybe it's the kids who expect the super expensive presents( the new Playstation, an Iphone, etc.) and when they do not receive that expensive gift, they aren't grateful for it. Let's just say the kid got some clothes for Christmas, and he throws a huge fit over the fact that he didn't get the new iPhone, or whatever.

That sounds like a problem with the parents.

I don't think I've ever gotten a present for christmas that cost more that $100, and that's just a guess, as I have no idea how much children's bikes cost in the early 2000s.

Even with the change our family made to gift giving, where its only 2 people instead of 10, I don't expect more that $50.

~~~Darth Caedus

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Hm, I think the hype is being lost on me, though that is probably just getting older and the whole time of year losing it's kind of magical essence. That and I need to work on my attitude... focus on being happier on a day-to-day basis as opposed to being an Eeyore all day. Though that is life in general, not exclusively X-mas. I do enjoy spending time with my family though, the gifts aren't really a major thing for me anymore, like I still get things, but the main focus is more of spending time with each other; which I like more than the hustle and bustle of everyone running around to give gifts to everyone.

I'm just saying I feel like it's too hyped up if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm saying that the meaning of Christmas has changed. Maybe for the better, maybe for the worse...

I am not so sure that the hype has changed so much as to you changing; that's what I think at least. I'm not being aggressive or insulting; but it probably just has to do with growing up and losing the kind of awe and wonder that this time used to bring; the hype instead of you seeing it as exciting could be shifting to an annoyance. Just a thought, I could be completely off.
I personally don't think too much has changed; I agree with Darth that kids being more entitles is more of a parental issue than a societal one. As a lot of kids are overly protected; not in the way that a parent should protect their child, as that is kind of their job, to keep you safe as you grow up; but I feel like some parents over step that boundary of protecting to spoiling and over shadowing them. But that has and will always be the case.
Maybe it has changed, though I personally think most of the changing is just growing up.
Saphire24
Saphire24
3,114 posts
Scribe

It has been hyped up earlier each year. With carol on the radio in late September, I'm no longer excited about Christmas. I thing it is partly to do with being older, but I still find that my siblings (younger) aren't excited either. In fact, I think the hype is killing the excitement for children, as by the time Christmas does come round, they have heard so much about it that they almost can't wait for it to be over. Even the surprise of opening presents is lost, as almost invariably, my friends know exactly what they are getting. For me,as a catholic, the thing that I look forward to most now is being with my extended family at midnight mass. This may seem like a rant, but I wish Christmas could go back to basics.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I'm not enjoying Cracked recently due to a recent topic which, every time they mention it, thoroughly demonstrates just how little they research despite calling out other websites for not doing so. BUT ANYWAY. They did have their head editor explain the true meaning of Christmas, which was in part the origin. Pre-Christmas Christmas was about celebrating a family/clan's foreseen last reunion together on the Winter Solstice where, at that time, being in the biting cold means 'people would freaking die'. So we as humans made the best of things by giving one last big celebration in the event that someone in their family/clan would be lost to the winter shortly thereafter. It was also a great way to lighten up on upkeep by feasting, so that there would be less cattle and whatnot to keep living throughout the cold where nothing grows.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

It has been hyped up earlier each year. With carol on the radio in late September, I'm no longer excited about Christmas. I thing it is partly to do with being older, but I still find that my siblings (younger) aren't excited either. In fact, I think the hype is killing the excitement for children, as by the time Christmas does come round, they have heard so much about it that they almost can't wait for it to be over. Even the surprise of opening presents is lost, as almost invariably, my friends know exactly what they are getting. For me,as a catholic, the thing that I look forward to most now is being with my extended family at midnight mass. This may seem like a rant, but I wish Christmas could go back to basics.

First thing to do, avoid watching networks such as LMN, and Hallmark because they start showing Christmas movies in late September all the way to Christmas which totally kill the fun of watching a good holiday movie.
What I do is record the few ones I like so I can watch them on Christmas eve or Christmas day.
I also avoid certain radio stations until a week from Christmas because it then puts me in the mood. If I'd start listening to it in October, it'll kill all the fun for me.

Basically record everything you watch so you can skip the senseless commercials then watch your shows.

If possible try to wait until the first day of December to purchase your gifts.

That's about it.

SazzyNews
SazzyNews
1 posts
Nomad

I love Christmas... The smells, the sights, the decorations, the tree, the presents... All of it! I love giving way more than receiving, so end up spending a fortune on gifts and it's always more than one gift per person. I like making people happy. I like being thoughtful. I like being generous.

Unfortunately, many people around me spoil it by being miserable, ungrateful, complaining all the time about silly things like rubbish on tv and not getting what they wanted - oh and by eating too many brussel sprouts!

Christmas makes me feel happy to be alive. It also makes me feel lucky to have what I have despite not being well off. I wish it made others think that too.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Christmas makes me feel happy to be alive. It also makes me feel lucky to have what I have despite not being well off. I wish it made others think that too.

Good, don't let anybody ruin it for you. That's why I go to all this trouble so I can enjoy Christmas. I loved it when I was a kid and I still love it now.
I can't wait to get some snow so I can walk in my neighborhood at night an enjoy looking at the lights and trees in some people's windows, smell the cold and the snow, hearing the crunch under my boots. When it's a freshly fallen snow, everything sparkles under the moon and stars. That's the greatest feeling for me, I even enjoy the sound of the Winter wind. Everything is quiet.
Saphire24
Saphire24
3,114 posts
Scribe

I never said I didn't enjoy it. I love seeing the first frost, because it sparkles so nicely. And when my relatives come round, we play games, and do crazy stuff. I love Christmas, I just hate how it is built up

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I very much enjoy Giftmas, hype and all. Though it would be nice if I didn't start seeing stuff for it in early October.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

really christmas is kinda dead to me, the presents, spending time with family, and the christmas dinner is nice and all, but it's not really hyped up anymore..

there hasnt been snow here in my city for december in a long time, recent years it hasnt hit until January if any at all.

And on tv there arent as many holiday commercials / holiday movies / holiday episodes of shows on as much anymore.

Most places here hasn't really decorated much for the season as they used to either, even house decorations have slimmed down, so there is really no hype for the holiday seasons for me anymore, it just feels like an average day.

Showing 1-13 of 13