ForumsThe TavernIs it better to be single?

30 8627
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Which is better: being single or being stuck for a nagging ***** for a wife?

I ask this question 'cuz it seems to have higher risks than rewards.

• 30 Replies
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

First, we don't tolerate cursing and swearing, so if you could avoid that in your next post, that would be great.

If you are not sure about life so far, how can you be sure about the person you will love for the rest of your life? It is better to have a steady income or a plan for income before you going into marriage, since a wife is what you are speaking about.

Though, in my opinion, once you have a steady income and a place to live, it is okay to have a wife.

My answer would be that it depends on your current situation.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I'm not interested in a relationship. I'd end up being stuck with a slob of a husband and probably six screaming potatoes that will slowly but surely drain my money. Also, the idea of sex does not bring me any happiness.

thesakew
thesakew
203 posts
Jester

It is better to have a steady income or a plan for income before you going into marriage, since a wife is what you are speaking about.

Yes, I also have this decision.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

If you are not sure about life so far, how can you be sure about the person you will love for the rest of your life?

Really? what if you don't receive the same thing. Plus, if you marry, you will lose respect, money, freedom, ect.

thesakew
thesakew
203 posts
Jester

Really? what if you don't receive the same thing. Plus, if you marry, you will lose respect, money, freedom, ect.

I have experienced of this. I have a plan with my girl friend but I feel useless because I do not have a job until now while her have a career in a national Bank company.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Well are you married? Not all women are like that. Have to wait for the right one to come along. One that matches your personality. I personally believe the media portrays a picture of the wife being in control of everything, and the husband is a worthless no good, but I don't believe it's like that. I know a ton of married people, and not one has a situation like that.

And being single can be a lonely life. But some people like it. It has it's perks.

Though, in my opinion, once you have a steady income and a place to live, it is okay to have a wife.

A good plan and layout for life is most important. Marriage isn't a spur of the moment decision. When you get married, it's supposed to last your entire life.

I'd end up being stuck with a slob of a husband and probably six screaming potatoes that will slowly but surely drain my money.

What money?

Plus, if you marry, you will lose respect, money, freedom, ect.

Where did you get that idea? Losing respect? From who? Marriage is a celebrated decision in life. A lifetime together with the person you love with your entire heart is not worthy of respect? The dedication alone to that cause is not honorable? The only aspect of marriage where you lose respect is divorce, and you don't make the wrong choice in the first place so no need to deal with that.

Money is a material thing. You can get a good job before you get married. If you plan it carefully, money will never be an issue.

And freedom? Really? Don't paint such a dim picture of marriage. Freedom to do what? What you want? If you're wise, you would marry a person that shares your same interests, or that doesn't care if you want to go out and do things with friends. Other instances are that you don't care what you give up if you can spend your life with this one person. The only confirmed freedom that every married person gives up (or should in some cases) is the right to go out with other girls/guys.

Life doesn't have to be boring. Why not provide some mixture and sample everything there is to offer? Marriage is for some people, and others remaining single is more appealing.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I was single until 33 yo. I was perfectly happy and I wasn't planning on getting married at all. Here I am now with a wife. I guess I was waiting for the right girl.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Seriously? It's censored, who cares? And who died and made you mod?

Anyway, on topic, hell no (Yes, we can say that one Legendary), unless the person is really THAT bad.

I don't have to be a mod to enforce some rules. If you wanted to confront me about it you, should have also done it on my profile only, because your post was mainly about confronting me instead of helping this person. I gave a straight answer which you could say, had a point in this whole topic.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Looks like I'm replying late to this one, but as the others pointed out, who said any of these things? I have seen people who have gained respect from getting married, shared incomes (more money for everyone, more gifts, more vacations), and allowed each other to do what they wanted of course with limits.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

If this is what you think marriage is about, then you shouldn't marry. Then again, I don't know how old you are, how ripe you are, and what kind of events happened to make you sound so bitter. But maybe you'll find a special person some day, and your stance on marriage might change. Who knows.

I ask this question 'cuz society is screwed!

I don't see the link to the topic. Really. What makes you say that, and in what way is it linked to marriage?
thesakew
thesakew
203 posts
Jester

Money is a material thing. You can get a good job before you get married. If you plan it carefully, money will never be an issue.

I found it's hard to get a good job. My GPA value are under the standard value of all good company in my country.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

But maybe you'll find a special person some day, and your stance on marriage might change.

What are my chances then? Because in my view my chances are slim to none.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

What are my chances then? Because in my view my chances are slim to none.

Never say never. I'm the living proof that It can happen.
I had 0% interest in getting married, I didn't go out, didn't have a GF in a loong time, wasn't looking for anyone then bam, I found a girl on the Internet and 10 months later I was married.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

BTW, is it really worth it?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

You have to remember to think about yourself. A lot of times people sacrifice themselves for their partner because it is the honorable thing to do, and they end up forgetting about themselves. That forgetfulness has the potential to turn into hatred towards the partner due to expectations, due credit, etc. Sometimes a little thinking of yourself is a good thing.

Showing 1-15 of 30