ForumsGamesWhat do you think about games with strong female leads?

14 2840
TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

Ex. Tomb Raider, Metroid, and Resident Evil?

Personally I think they're great because it puts you in a new scenario but you don't really get into their mindset or think the way they would or not as much as their male counterparts; Most of the time its mainly that "kill em" mindset like you do in Call of Duty or Battlefield. While in Halo you can actually make an attachment with Master Chief and look at things his way. You know what I'm saying? Its like we play as this female character but the game just pushes us to play the character as a male. Or maybe its just completely because I'm not a girl.

• 14 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

It doesn't really matter to me wether the character is male or female. The only difference I see in playing as a female instead of a male is that the female is more attractive than the male.

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

Tbh, there are so many games with male leads, so I'm glad when there's a game with a female lead, maybe that's because I'm a female, but idk. I don't think that gender matters too much, it's not like whenever I play a game with a male main character, I'll stop playing the game, it does feel a little odd, but it's not the end of the world. We all can relate in some way to the character, regardless of gender, and it's nice to see the mindset of both genders, even if you might not be able to understand it completely. I honestly think that there should be more games with female leads since I think about 40% of gamers are female, and I think that the ratio of playable characters that are male and female is far different from that.

daydreamer01
daydreamer01
440 posts
Peasant

i love it the female spirit is great
im a guy but i really connect with feminine things
so yeah more strong female leads

DaOrigin
DaOrigin
10 posts
Nomad

We all play as female bcuz boobs...
JK!

bnsr
bnsr
4 posts
Nomad

i think male is better

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

Wanna elaborate on that a bit more @bnsr?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Xzeno would love it, but I'm not him.

I really don't care.if the main character is male.or female, so long as the idea isn't a forced issue to push some.sort.of agenda. If the game is a well written and well made game, then I don't care either way.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I'm the same as pang. I don't care, I just want a good game.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

What they said. I'm fine with it either way, but a lot of the times it seems like they try to force a female lead and practically say 'Hey! Our game has a female lead, doesn't that make you want to buy it?'. If the plot/character is more fitting as a female, then make it female. If not, then don't.

Shrublord
Shrublord
7 posts
Nomad

I really don't mind playing as a female. But I prefer games in which you can choose your gender (the Mass Effect series, Halo Reach, most WRPGs, etc.) so that those who prefer playing as a male/female can have a choice.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

Yeah I see what you mean @TheMostManlyman

Also I'd like to disagree with some of you guys and say that the sex of the character does matter in terms of making a character a character. Like you aren't going to have a guy character run around in a mini skirt for no good reason right?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

You did in Final fantasy 7

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

^
Alright then.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

personally, i like it. but to be honest, its only because females simply have the gender roles they have to deal with in society. if we lived in a truly equal society i dont think any of us would really care what the gender of the main character was.
about the strong part.... it depends. i dont like unrealistic bad-*** characters in most cases. its much easier to relate to a regular character.

Showing 1-14 of 14