ForumsProgramming ForumHow to Make a Game from a Modder's point of view

11 5610
Redchaos06
Redchaos06
10 posts
Nomad

Hi im Redchaos im a excited to make a game to launch on steam but im just one guy cant do that unless its a 2d game anyway hmm is it hard to make a Risk Like game?? do i need to code an engine?? how do i put maps and other art files in it?? i just mod Reskinning doing 3D models but still i would like to make a Risk like game with some deep gameplay diplomacy,economy etc i will also be adding units into the game like Tanks,aircrafts,ships.infantry etc a game like European war 3 or World conqueror 2 something like that but on a scale much larger and gameplay much deeper if you would like to help me and hop in to my project well you will be welcome (but currently i must know on how to make a game i have unity installed the free version is it enough for my game to run through??

• 11 Replies
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Sounds fun. Dunno if I could help I haven't used unity, but I will suggest starting at 2D games. Jumping straight into a 3D game with little to no programming knowledge is not recommended.

Redchaos06
Redchaos06
10 posts
Nomad

Have you made any games yet?? would you like to help me get into this business?? ill be happy to share this project with someone

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I am still amateur, I only have a few simple games that I have made. You can try them out HERE. Right now I am currently having some tile based fun and am somewhat in progress on a fun game idea TBA later. If your inquiries are AS3 related then I would love to help There are a few other members on this site that have good input as well.

Some reading material if you are interested.

steps-to-learning-to-program
<-- really good article
how-to-make-games-for-free <--- good tools to use

Redchaos06
Redchaos06
10 posts
Nomad

Thanks just one question will it be hard to make a risk like game??

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

From a beginners perspective, it would be fun and simple to create small portions of the game. Trying to achieve a full version of the game would require some serious dedication.

Redchaos06
Redchaos06
10 posts
Nomad

Hmm small portions like 5-10 territories?? something like that?? will it be hard to implement things like economics would it require some coding?

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Think... smaller.

You stated that you already have a coding program. Well, open it up and get something to appear on screen. A solder, hat, old photo, anything you can think of. Then, (for a risk type game) there would be a button that you click and a randomized dice roll executes to determine the victor in battle.

There you have it. A soldier vs a hat. Who will be the victor?

btw from my perspective, programming some kind of economy system, territories, spoils of war, etc would be simple.

lukada
lukada
8 posts
Nomad

If you're just starting, I strongly recommend that you use a game engine like Unity or Unreal... Those really simplify all the work you have to do to learn C++ or java or stuff like that. They're still really powerful, don't get me wrong, but just easier to operate that making a game from scratch.
Hope this helps.

Redchaos06
Redchaos06
10 posts
Nomad

i Got Unity the free version will it work??

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I don't see why it shouldn't. There is also FlashDevelop that you can use to make flash games.

Redchaos06
Redchaos06
10 posts
Nomad

Thanks ill see

Showing 1-11 of 11