ForumsGamesThe excessive growth of tower defense games

7 3097
231terminator
231terminator
87 posts
Nomad

i was never super interested in tower defense games, and recently it feels as if strategy games sections, not just on armor games but pretty much everywhere i look there is just a clutter of these. I don't hate them really, its just after awhile they all feel the same causing them all to end up bland. Theres just too many of these. I was just wondering if anybody shared the same opinion

• 7 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I completely agree. In fact, I hated tower defence games - at least, until I played GemCraft: CS. I really got into that one. But I think that game proves your point. While the overall structure and gameplay is kind of the same, it's really unique in how you construct gems, solve levels, etc.
King of Towers is another one that I'm getting into as well, but I still feel like it lacks the complexity of the the GemCraft series.

I just wonder if maybe there are so many TD games because they're easy to make. But a lot of people do seem to like to them, I'm just not one of them.

vetokend
vetokend
28 posts
Peasant

Agreed, they're blowing up.

I like the ones that have strong RPG elements. The ones where no matter how far I get, there's always something to gain, some way to progress further. If there's a stat limit / cap, it's nearly impossible to reach.

So far, there's only 3 that make my list. Gemcraft Labyrinth, Gemcraft Chasing Shadows, and Dungeon Defenders.

If you guys know of any others like that, I'm all ears. I hate caps!

231terminator
231terminator
87 posts
Nomad

@Moegreche well some TD games have unique elements, but to me tower defense games work like indie games. and by that i mean some have unique concepts that get people to play them and keep playing, where most others have no unique values and are just generic

@vetokend i liked dungeon defenders but the simplicity of being able to mod it is kinda ridiculous, when it became free on xbox live it was torn to shreds by said modders. And i constantly hear gemcraft is different from others, but i just dislike the genre

Serpentrose
Serpentrose
1 posts
Farmer

It's probably a combination of popularity and it being simple to make, and least simple to make a crappy one.

On the other flash gaming site I regularly use several of the top games are TDs, which means people are playing them and liking them enough to rate them highly. There are a lot of people who, rather than come up with an idea of their own, will simply look at something popular and make a copy of it. With games this is especially true if the core mechanics are simple.

diz2
diz2
2 posts
Shepherd

[/b]Gemcraft Is one of the best Games Ive been playing it since I was 6 years old and now Im almost 13. So... I feel Like Thats a good game. Very popular and one of the most orignal games out there!

mrdeath9700
mrdeath9700
50 posts
Nomad

can more people make rts games like starcraft where u just build your base and crush your enemies. I realize you cant port starcraft ti flash but really, too few rts games

danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

starcraft where u just build your base and crush your enemies.

DID YOU KNOW THERE IS A SEQUEL NOW??

all that aside,I really agree.2 out of every 3 "strategy" games are TD.I like Kingdom Rush,But the rest are just annoying.I WANT AN ACTUAL STRATEGY GAME ALREADY!!!

Showing 1-7 of 7