ForumsWEPRWhich type of a Government is the best?

80 33628
akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Which type of a Government according to you is the best? And why?
1) Democracy.
2) Federalism.
3) Communism.
4) Dictatorship.
5) Monarchy.
6) Constitutional Monarchy.
7) Military Rule.
8) Republic.
9) Democratic Republic.
10) Parliamentary.

• 80 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Aloso agred. He would have the resources to do something good. Bu then he/she would have to be educated,strong character, true leader and much more. But still in this sistem people doesn't have the power. So like in Switzer land there should be many referendums.

I don't think that a dictator is still a dictator if the people can vote on a referendum. And he could still void the rights of the people easily and do whatever he wanted. If you want the people to have power, a dictatorship is not what you look for.
WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

I don't think that a dictator is still a dictator if the people can vote on a referendum. And he could still void the rights of the people easily and do whatever he wanted. If you want the people to have power, a dictatorship is not what you look for

Yes, true. But mix betwen dictatorship and democracy s the best. Leave the King(the Quean) to rule but still people should have more rights and veto by referendum. This is very hard to achive (if possiblem) but it would be the best.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Utilitarianism is a theory in normative ethics holding that the moral action is the one that maximizes utility. Utility is defined in various ways, including as pleasure, economic well-being and the lack of suffering. Utilitarianism is a form of consequentialism, which implies that the consequences of an action are of moral importance. This view can be contrasted or combined with seeing intentions, virtues or the compliance with rules as ethically important. Classical utilitarianism's two most influential contributors are Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill. Bentham, who takes happiness as the measure for utility, says, "it is the greatest happiness of the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong".

This sounds more like a system of ethics than a system of government. How would it apply as a government?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yes, true. But mix betwen dictatorship and democracy s the best. Leave the King(the Quean) to rule but still people should have more rights and veto by referendum. This is very hard to achive (if possiblem) but it would be the best.

The whole reasoning behind the argument in favour of a dictatorship is that the dictator has to be reliable and makes the right decisions. But if that is the case for people in charge, all other forms of government are just as good if not better than a dictatorship. If only one person is in charge, things can go wrong that much faster. Hence why I think it's idealistic, but irresponsible.
WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

If only one person is in charge, things can go wrong that much faster. Hence why I think it's idealistic, but irresponsible

You are right. It would be the best leadership if the people always follow moral; so it isn't possible. But even if there was a leader like this he would be ignored or killed- just like Jesus (maybe no exactlly like Him but you get the point).

Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

This sounds more like a system of ethics than a system of government. How would it apply as a government?

Think about it. In a Utilitarian gov't system, the only laws there are regard matters of moral ethics. So the only way one could break the law, or any law for that matter, would be if they do something that hurts or doesn't benefit the majority of people. For example, robbing a bank. Robbing a bank only benefits the burglar and maybe their accomplices (one could argue that robbing a bank would also benefit the burglars and their families and maybe friends and community, but that's beside the point). Robbing a bank would NOT, therefore, benefit the majority of people in the world. The thousands of people who carry money in the bank would be harmed. So in this situation, robbing a bank would be a crime. But take one person in Uganda stealing some apples from a store to feed his family because none of them can get jobs and they are starving. This would benefit the majority of people involved (the thief's family and the thief). It would only hurt (if that) the store keeper, because chances are the storekeeper wouldn't be missing a couple apples. So to answer your question, utilitarianism would relate to being a gov't because utilitarian laws, like the ones above, would apply. The main reason people don't think utilitarianism is a good form of gov't would be that it could "never work". It wouldn't work because one could argue that, "What if the same storekeeper was robbed multiple times, each time not being that big a deal? And overtime, the storekeeper loses money. And overtime, he gets stressed out, maybe if matters got really bad and these same trivial occurrences kept happening to his store, he is forced to sell it and his family has to move or becomes poverty stricken or whatever. Wouldn't the majority of people involved in this situation have benefited? Wouldn't only five or ten people (the storekeeper and maybe his family) be hurt? So are you saying that Utilitarianism means that if a family starves and dies and if it benefits the majority of people then it's okay?" Many people have a problem with that. I can even see how it would be bad. But it also leads you to think, "Is one family that suffers, starves and eventually dies that helps 10 other families to live something that should be avoided, or is it a sacrifice that's worth it?"

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The whole reasoning behind the argument in favour of a dictatorship is that the dictator has to be reliable and makes the right decisions.

a other thing in favour of a dictatorship is that laws can be made and changed in a minute. and that there are short leads to the highest power.

But take one person in Uganda stealing some apples from a store to feed his family because none of them can get jobs and they are starving. This would benefit the majority of people involved (the thief's family and the thief). It would only hurt (if that) the store keeper, because chances are the storekeeper wouldn't be missing a couple apples.

uhmm. sure the shopkeeper will be out of business if everybody stole his apples instead of buying them.. leaving the area without a shop to steal/buy apples from...

what about a more serious matter...
when a girl is forced for prostitution, it only harms that 1 girl and benefits maybe hundreds of man with pleasure..
(i didn't read the rest of the post. sorry)

Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

what about a more serious matter...
when a girl is forced for prostitution, it only harms that 1 girl and benefits maybe hundreds of man with pleasure..
(i didn't read the rest of the post. sorry)

Exactly what I meant. If you read my post, I said that there could be several arguments contradicting how Utilitarianism could work. There are several flaws in the ideas of it too, and you pointed out one of them.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

@Mickeyryn
then why do you think it would be splendid? =S
it's known that slavery isn't splendid, right?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

a other thing in favour of a dictatorship is that laws can be made and changed in a minute. and that there are short leads to the highest power.

And you think this is a good thing? I know that bureaucracy can be tedious at times, but I'd choose it over despotism anyday.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

And you think this is a good thing? I know that bureaucracy can be tedious at times, but I'd choose it over despotism anyday.

yea, well.. in my 2nd post i said it all depends on your position and thoughts. =)
i know there are people who see it as a good thing because it's able to adept fast to new happenings. in a country with high corruption being able to change laws on the spot can be very beneficial to some people. but it all depends on your position and thoughts. =)

Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

@Mickeyryn
then why do you think it would be splendid? =S
it's known that slavery isn't splendid, right?

I think it would be splendid because I feel that there are plenty of benefits. I feel that the benefits of Utilitarianism are often overlooked because people spend so much time trying to sniff out bad things about it (not talking to you). But don't get me wrong - anyone who knows me can tell you that I am one of the biggest human/animal rights supporter guy out there. Of course I do not believe that slavery is splendid. No one for of government is without its flaws.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I think it would be splendid because I feel that there are plenty of benefits. I feel that the benefits of Utilitarianism are often overlooked because people spend so much time trying to sniff out bad things about it (not talking to you). But don't get me wrong - anyone who knows me can tell you that I am one of the biggest human/animal rights supporter guy out there. Of course I do not believe that slavery is splendid. No one for of government is without its flaws.

do the flaws wager right to the benefits? from what i have readed from you, my conclusions is that the flaws are to big and much. that it's "laws" are to easily exploited.
somehow it makes me think of this qoute: "a world where pleasure is the highest good and its pursuit is encouraged regardless of means and consequences. The notion of ‘sin’ is put into question and all evil deeds are justified as long as they give meaning to people’s existence."
but maybe that is because i don't see the benefits that utilitarianism will bring us that can counter things like forced prostitution. maybe you can help me there?

Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

do the flaws wager right to the benefits? from what i have readed from you, my conclusions is that the flaws are to big and much. that it's "laws" are to easily exploited.
somehow it makes me think of this qoute: "a world where pleasure is the highest good and its pursuit is encouraged regardless of means and consequences. The notion of ‘sin’ is put into question and all evil deeds are justified as long as they give meaning to people’s existence."
but maybe that is because i don't see the benefits that utilitarianism will bring us that can counter things like forced prostitution. maybe you can help me there?

Here's what I think. Forced prostitution is one of the worst things that can possibly happen to someone. In just about every form of government, it doesn't matter which form there is, there will always be horrible things like this.
Democracy - In America right now, there is underground forced prostitution.
Dictatorship - In North Korea right now, think about it. I bet Kim Jong-un gets laid every single night with any girl he wants, and he'll probably get it. I'm not trying to make this as a joke but it's true.
Utilitarianism - Exactly the point you just brought up.
It could happen anywhere. I'm also not trying to say that since it can happen anywhere, so be it and it's not important. I'm saying that no matter how hard we try, people are still rooted with evil. For example, take Communism. I really think it is the best form of government. It is perfect. But it could never work. Just like Utilitarianism, it has its fatal flaws.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

@mickeyryn
but wouldn't it be legal with Utilitarianistic laws?

Showing 16-30 of 80