ForumsThe TavernCan a parent be your best friend? (Debate)

15 3868
Greg7077
Greg7077
824 posts
Jester

Can a parent be your best friend? Coming from a kids point of view. Please state your opinions as a reply. Also please don't be rude towards other peoples opinions! >
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion -My grandma

• 15 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Well yes, if you're that much attached to your parent they can be. I don't see why they shouldn't be unless you don't like your parent.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Considering they are the first people that you will ever meet and they are the ones that live with you for the first 20 years of your life, I don't see why they wouldn't be your best friend.

Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

Yes, they really can, though often they aren't depending on time spent with them, conversation topics, and generally how said parent decides to raise his/her/their children/child.

But shouldn't this be in the WEPR?

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

They could, very, may i add.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Why not? If you have similar interest it's even better.
I didn't have much in common with my dad but we both LOVED watching and playing ice hockey so we were best friends then.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

I agree with everyone above. They certainly can be our Best friend!
This thread could have been more interesting, if it had been posted in the WEPR Section!

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

Anyone can be your best friend if you allow them the opportunity to be and you share enough of a connection. Now if a parent stops acting like a parent completely just to be your friend, that's when it's time to worry.

But shouldn't this be in the WEPR?

It has nothing to do with World Events, Politics, or Religion, so it should be fine where it is.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

It has nothing to do with World Events, Politics, or Religion, so it should be fine where it is.

But it's actually WEPRE, so one could argue it's in the "Etc." section.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

so one could argue it's in the "Etc." section.

It Belongs there!

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

A parent is a parent until they no longer have to care for their child. Once their child is too an adult, then a bonding friendship can happen. Otherwise, a parent who tries to act cool and hip to impress their own child isn't a parent. Best friends don't spank each other when they've done wrong.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Best friends don't spank each other when they've done wrong.

Well that's bringing up when you're six years old. That's a bit different age group then the "friend" era.

a parent who tries to act cool and hip to impress their own child isn't a parent

... That's like half of why my parents are cool. They do it on purpose just to irritate me.

A parent is a parent until they no longer have to care for their child

Which is... Like never. Sure they quit physically taking care of you, but parents worry and care about their kids until the day they die. It's a lifetime job, hence, it defines best friend in one of the greatest ways possible.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Good Replies @xeano321!

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

That's a bit different age group then the "friend" era.

To add to that, at around ages 4-6, you're still figuring out good manners and what society expects you to do. Sure, there are playmates, but they aren't really true friends, per say. In my opinion, a true friend won't be afraid of telling you that you're wrong and will always be there for you. Parents correct their children when they're wrong, and are there for them when they need a shoulder to cry on. With that, a parent is a child's best friend.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

a true friend won't be afraid of telling you that you're wrong and will always be there for you. Parents correct their children when they're wrong, and are there for them when they need a shoulder to cry on. With that, a parent is a child's best friend.

So apt and correct!

drdakota
drdakota
62 posts
Nomad

Honestly. Yes. Me and my dad go ride around just for no reason. Go fishing and hunting and all that good stuff. He's my friend xD BUT he can also be a parent when he needs to be. He tells me when i'm wrong and helps me learn. So, yes, a parent can be a parent and a friend at the same time.

Showing 1-15 of 15