ForumsThe TavernWhat do these smileys mean to you?

21 9399
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Right, so even with smileys/emojis, it's hard to get your emotions across to others. This is what they mean to me:

- Smiling really happily
- Laughing
- Tongue stick out happily
- Sad
- Happy wink
- Shocked/Surprised

=) - Moderate happy smile
=)) - Laughing (because looks like a smile before it turns into an emoji)
D: - Sad yet surprised, or jaw dropper.

I know that this isn't complete, but what do you guys think about the smileys and emojis? Do you think it properly conveys what they are supposed to?

• 21 Replies
Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

the only one that looks right is the sad one. The others look creepy. Except for the winking one. That makes me feel like i have a terrible secret and someone else knows it.
my favorite will always be ;-; , mr weepy.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

= I am happy!
= I am sad!
> = I am angry!
>:c = I am super angry! Grrr!
= I am ecstatic!
> = I have evil master plan! Mwahaha!
D:< = I am yelling!! Rawr!!!
= I am shocked!
:3 = I lika did
>:3 = I r monster rawr *pomf*
^-^ = teehee
^~^ = uguu!
^w^ = wyflflflflflf
;-; = nuuuuu
;w; = NUUUUUUUU
;-;7 = I salute you *cries*
= lol!
:P = creepy lol (STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE THAT USE THIS)
:d = I wonder what is in my nose!
xD = that is funny!
XD = that is really funny!
XDD = That is REALLY SUPER funny!
XDDD+ = that is so funny it should be on 9gag!!!
xd = my name is blitzdota
Xd = lol I r dodo
8) = look at me I'm supah cool oh ya!
:^) = I am a mischievous person huehuehue
)+ = that makes me so happy omg!! (The more &quot" there are the happier they are!! )*
Any emote starting with "=" = trust me *wink wink*
u.u = I am right.
:v = huehuehuehue PERU!!!!!
:V = HUEHUEHUEHUE PERU!!!1!1!1!!!
:c = nuu I r sad now
:C = LOOK AT ME IM SAID GIMME ATTENTION
c: = I is happy
C: = I'm a computer program
:') = makin me cry!
:'( = making me cry!
:x or :X = oops!
:6 or :9 = idk how mouths work lol!
T_T** = oh bother smh
t_t** = sluuuuug face
e_e** = whaaaa (WARNING MIGHT BE A POT USER)
w,w** = whoo, whoo
Q_Q** = jeepers!
a_a** = A-LI-AN (ayy lmao)
x_x** = dedded
-_- = really now?
_-_ = whaaa...
:| = (kinda like the face you make when someone tells a dad joke)
._. = ummm scuse me mister?
.-. = mister?
I hope I covered them all xD

*BEST USED WHEN TALKING TO BOYFRIEND OR LADYFRIEND
** IF SOMEONE REPLACES THE "_" WITH A "." DO NOT TALK TO THEM EVER AGAIN AND GET RID OF ALL CONNECTIONS TO THEM IMMEDIATELY

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I try to refrain from using the AG emoji. As Crouton over there says, only the looks really accurate, though the and is also fine.

The shouldn't have teeth sticking out, or the mouth open at all. Do you see teeth on the ) ? No. The parenthesis is just a line. Also, the face looks incredibly horrifying. I'll be honest, I hate it.

And then there's the issue of the :P face. Is the spine of the P bendy? No, it's not. Is the loop in the middle of the spine? No, it's not. But I don't really care about tongue placement on the P face, I care about the smile. Every website with emoji just has to 'happify' the :P face. I feel like the :P face should retain its true neutrality instead of being forced to smile. Oh, right, sure, smiling is good for you! Laughter is the best medicine! But the :P face shouldn't be smiling at all. When I stick out my tongue at someone, I'm not smiling. It's not a joke. Look at this tongue, it's pink and squishy, representing my disdain for you or whatever action you've just gone through. A smiling tongue face, aside from being really disturbing on an actual person, completely defeats the purpose of the expression.

The just looks really sketchy to me, like what the people do in the bathroom at my school right before they pass the weed. If someone winked at me with a face like that, I'd call the police.

Also, I'm disappointed that there's no :| face. I use the :| face a lot , mostly when someone's saying creepy things, or are completely ignorant of something incredibly stupid they just said.
I'm glad that the :^) face doesn't automatically correct to , though, because who would be edgy if it wasn't :^)?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

should only be used WHEN COMING UP WITH SUPER SECRET EVIL PLANS WITH BFFS NOTHING MORE

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I was building a pyramid using a card deck and as I was putting the last two cards on top to complete the structure, my dog sneezed and everything collapsed!

That's what this emoji represent to me.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

A cat just saw his brother being torn to pieces by a bear because he was trying to get to the fish first.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

To me they mean nothing but irritating clutter in the form of disembodied heads.

A cat just saw his brother being torn to pieces by a bear because he was trying to get to the fish first.

I already apologised about that.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I just wish there was an emoji that expressed death. Is that so hard to ask for?

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I just wish there was an emoji that expressed death. Is that so hard to ask for?

Just @ me, that'll work fine.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

No thx I'm good. I like my body stab-free.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

There are too many to go through. This is how I saw a few of them when I looked at the cheat sheet for the first time.

- Just ate a lemon sandwich
oop: - Delicious chocolate soft serve
- Vincent Van Meow
- Lohan on a good day
- Keanu Reeves
- Watching Madonna at the VMAs
- Didn't think highly of his fallen homies
- Freddie Mercury
- Fiber is important
- Not watching Avatar again
erson_with_blond_hair: - American Idol contestant, eliminated in first round
What Meghan Trainor will never be
- Chain smoker
- Above 5 years from now
- Tobias gets kicked out of the Blue Man Group
- Concept totally lost to Ke$ha
- The extent of Dave Franco's acting ability
- The extent of Channing Tatum's acting ability
- The number of good Nicholas Cage movies made in the 21st century
oint_up: - Same as above but with James Franco
k_hand: - Same as above but with Ashton Kutcher

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

- I am smiling, and im talking about something i would smile.

- I use bigger smile. Because its more apropriate.

c: - Small cute smail, for when you need to smile in a cute way.

:c - Puppy eyes sad.

- Really sad.

D: - Worried, Dissapointed.

:/ - Meh . i dont know exactly what it means. I put it in messages such as : "But he was a cat :/ " or " He can't be serious :/ " Hmm now that i think about it it may be for something i can't believe.

:P - I am using my tongue in a very cute animish way.. Like when you :P and you look addorable.

:3 - ADORABLE. i use it as a superb smile. Smile of all smiles.

>.> - Sarcasm.

O.o - Can't Understand

-.- - Facepalm. i have no words D:

- Suprised.

Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

As Crouton over there says

I'm a crouton now? ;-; symbolizes all my feelings at this current time. And my feelings in all posts following this.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

This can be even more helpful!

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

The represent a steep and tragic decline in word based communication. What they mean is that people are losing the ability to express what they want to say with words, they've lost a degree of literacy. The only thing that us regular folks can do now is to shame those who use them until they stop; because that has the possibility of working, it gives us a moral obligation to try.

Please, join me in my effort to help people return to using their words. I'm concerned about the world and this is one thing that we can do to improve it.

Showing 1-15 of 21