ForumsThe TavernNerves and Stuff

7 3696
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this thread yet, so bare with me, it's been awhile.
Recently I've been becoming more aware of how nervous or anxious I get about things. Maybe it's because it's approaching the end of the year, and Im just noticing it happen more now that I have to deal with exams, ACTs, promposals, and just general highschool crap. I've always felt nervous about things that are far less important. Lately I catch myself sweating while playing video games. I notice similar things when I play tennis too. I'm in season now and that's probably why, but whatever. I find myself overthinking things often and messing up while telling myself not to mess up and just general stuff like that. Maybe I'm super stressed out over everything, I don't know.
Anyways yeah, I guess I'm trying to spark some kind of discussion about nerves/stress/lack of confidence/whatever. You don't have to tell stories or anything if you don't want to, general comments on this topic are fine. Venting is cool too.

• 7 Replies
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Well i can tell you, good luck with everything

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

I suggest that you practice YOGA and MEDITATE. I think that might help you.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one being stressed, since AP exams are just around the corner. On May 4th. I have five. FIVE AP EXAMS. Help
I'm not super worried about the History, English, or Comparative Government exams. I'm doing all right in those classes, I generally understand what's going on. Though I'm going to need to do something about my History textbook. Someone stole it. Science is less secure since the teacher doesn't really teach and just makes us take notes out of the textbook ALL THE TIME.
And then there's Calc. I'll be honest. I'm failing Calc. I could go into a lot of detail on why, but that'd take too much space. I'm not planning on passing the AP exam since it doesn't affect my grade, but if I get a D on the final I might pass the class and never have to deal with it ever again. If I fail the class, my mom's going to kill me. She's certainly threatened it enough.

Generally thinking about going college makes me stressed and kind of thin-feeling like I would start crying if someone breathed on me too hard. Is that nerves? I don't know. I mean, I've still got pretty good grades and an extracurricular or two. That's more than probably 60% of the people in my school. I don't give blowjobs in the bathrooms, I don't have a kid and bring it to school, I don't smoke under the media center walkway, I don't skip and hang out at Cook Out all day flirting with the servers. But apparently that's not good enough for my mom, who says "IF IT'S NOT DUKE OR UNC CHAPEL HILL I'LL DISOWN YOU." And she's done that before too. On my birthday. I'm doing pretty well, but I don't have the qualifications to get into either of those. They're the best schools in the state. My grades average between 85-95. Which is pretty good. I can probably get into NCSU with those. But I just don't want to exist and if you gave me the option to disappear off the face of the earth and be forgotten about, I'd pick that. I mean I wouldn't leave if it made my sister sad. Is that weird? That's not that weird, right?

This became extremely long. Ignore all of it.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I'm not planning on passing the AP exam since it doesn't affect my grade, but if I get a D on the final I might pass the class and never have to deal with it ever again.

And what do you want to major in again? Most likely you will have to take some sort of Calc in college.
"IF IT'S NOT DUKE OR UNC CHAPEL HILL I'LL DISOWN YOU."

If you go to UNC we cannot be friends anymore.

O, on topic or something, If I am not mistaken you are a junior right pick? It's a stressful time mate. While I never worried about prom everything else I worried about, getting into college, grades, etc. Obviously you do tennis so you are getting exercise to get your mind off of things which is good. akshobhya might be correct that meditating or something could also help. All in all you just have to believe in yourself and know that you are doing your best. Everyone blows getting into college out of proportion. In my opinion it wasn't as hard as I thought it was. I did very little outside of school and was an A/B student and was able to get into a good school. So just do your best, study hard, apply to a few places and know what happens happens.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Pick and Storm you guys are so cute ;~; And I feel you guys, because junior year was a time of anxiety. I constantly worried about everything and I developed insomnia because of it, which didn't help with me worrying even more about things. In my opinion, just try not to over analyze things. Like daleks said, what happens, happens, but it's not the end of the world.

You have your whole life to live, so don't live it trying to dote on a couple of mistakes you might make.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Well storm, at least you're taking APs. I'm not in any. I'm not in any honors classes this year either, which terrifies me. My grades are ok, As and Bs, leaning more towards Bs for the most part. I've been trying to bring my grades up, but it's difficult. I worry that I'm shooting too high for what I realistically can get into and that scares me. Don't feel bad Storm, you'll be ok.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

My friends, To Err is human, To forgive is divine.
Like I have said above, you guys should try out practicing yoga. It is scientifically proved to be a huge stress buster and if you guys get a good yoga instructor near your places they can teach you so many asanas just to improve your memory, which can be the greatest gift during exam times. There are also many asanas to relieve you of anger, anxiety, nervousness and also, fear. I think this can be of great help to anyone. If you are willing to practise yoga, it can be of great help to you guys. If you are not able to find a good instructor, you can atleast meditate for 15-20 minutes a day and this will give you control over your mind and people do practice meditation, sitting in a yoga position and this will be of the greatest help. If you want further information on yoga or on meditation, it's always there on the net and also on Wiki. I think I was atleast of a small help to you guys.

Showing 1-7 of 7