ForumsWEPRUK General Election Day 2015

6 4119
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Today's the day. After five years of Conservative - Lib Dem coalition, the today the people of Britain will go out and vote in what is one of the most interesting elections of recent years given that no party is likely to win an overall majority and another coalition seems inevitable. By midnight, the votes will have been counted, and the real business of debating and double dealing can begin, until we have something vaguely resembling a government.

The most likely possible outcomes:

Labour or Conservative majority.
Almost no chance of this happening.

Labour or Conservative led coalition.
The most likely outcome, although which parties actually get involved remains to be seen.

Labour or Conservative minority.
If the smaller parties prove more belligerent than expected, the largest minority party may end up in power. Unlikely, but could happen.

• 6 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Exit polls have predicted the Conservatives will be the largest party, but won't attain an outright majority.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

In a surprising turn of events, the Conservatives have got a majority. I didn't see that coming.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Not surprised Cameroon is still the PM, but surprised that the Tories didn't end up having to rule through a coalition.

That single UKIP seat irritates like a prickly nettle.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

In a surprising turn of events, the Conservatives have got a majority. I didn't see that coming.

Neither did the surveys, as I've heard.

On the good side, Nigel Farage resigned.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Be thankful we don't have proportional representation then. The SNP got 4.7% of the vote and got 56 seats. UKIP got 12.6% of the vote and got one seat.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Well, so have Miliband and Clegg.

I'm not a fan of first past the post systems, but I dislike proportional representation even more.

Showing 1-6 of 6