ForumsWEPRUS police, don't shot me!

22 12384
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6QzSq51ik

Out of curiosity. Would one get shot in the US if someone did the exact same thing there?

Also my question. What would it take to get shot by the US police?

• 22 Replies
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

If you did that in the U.S. cops would respond the same way they did in that video. If you ran fast enough or far enough you might get tased (which that last officer actually mentioned when she was telling him to be careful) and if you mouth off to the wrong cop they might trump up a charge to give you a ticket but you won't get shot. Just about the only ways to get shot by cops in the U.S. is to point a gun at them, charge them with a knife or other weapon, or take a hostage. Beyond that our country puts a ton of money into developing non-lethal means of suppressing potentially violent people and if you don't show any sign of violent behavior the worst you have to worry about is a little electric shock if they're having trouble catching you. Ironically, any time these methods are used there's a bunch of people calling it a civil rights violation and bemoaning the small chance that these non-lethal weapons could kill someone.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

To be honest, the US police forces are trying their best to deal with a culture that means that almost any routine call out could turn nasty at any moment, because you never know who has a gun. Not that their best is anywhere near good enough.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

What would it take to get shot by the US police?

Being black, aged between 15 and 30 yo, wear a hoody.
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Being black, aged between 15 and 30 yo, wear a hoody.

George Zimmerman is not a cop. In fact, with the number of times he violated neighborhood watch procedures he shouldn't even have been a member of that.

To be honest, the US police forces are trying their best to deal with a culture that means that almost any routine call out could turn nasty at any moment, because you never know who has a gun.

Right, because other countries have zero gun crime. Any routine call anywhere in the world could turn nasty because some people don't behave logically. There's always going to be those people who hear sirens while speeding and, rather than pulling over, they try to run away. Combine those people with weapons and you get a volatile situation. The UK has thousands of gun crimes every year despite a gun ban, and tens of thousands of assaults and robberies using knives each year. Among all those crimes do you really believe that not a single one of those people would turn those weapons on the cops during a routine procedure?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

George Zimmerman is not a cop. In fact, with the number of times he violated neighborhood watch procedures he shouldn't even have been a member of that.

What does it have to do with DSM's question?
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

The UK is probably one of the most violence country amongst west Europe. Yet, compared to the US...

Comparing the US with Afghanistan will be far more fair and an equal battle :P

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Afghanistan/United-States/Crime

Kinda funny that even a war thorn country that have been at non stop war for at least 35 + years, and is one of the poorest country in the world. Yet, it still have far better stats than the US :P

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

What does it have to do with DSM's question?

You're being facetious, right? I quoted you because you're response was either a blatant call back to George Zimmerman's actions or an outright lie about U.S. police officers. I had already answered DSM's question in my first post.

The UK is probably one of the most violence country amongst west Europe. Yet, compared to the US...

Did you even pay attention to what that site says? Here's an overview for the lazy. All of these percentages are compared for the UK when the US is higher, just so I don't have to write it every time. 22% more US citizens believe crime rates are increasing (this isn't about how much crime there is but how much crime the public thinks there is). Both our nations have actually been seeing a steady drop in crime rates since the 90s. Out of hundreds of countries, the US is only 12 ranks higher with 16% more "crime levels" (I can't actually figure out what the numbers here are supposed to mean, it isn't a crime rate or percentage). The UK uses 58% more opiates than the US. The US had only 3% more executions per execution year. The UK is responsible for 30% more software piracy than the US. The US has 82% more total crimes. The UK has 3 times the total crimes per 1000 that the US does. The US has 4 times the murder rate per million people. What this chart doesn't include is the fact that the US has more than 5 times the population of the UK, and many of their rankings seem to be based on totals more than percentages, as well as 2.5 times the landmass of Western Europe. The UK is smaller than Oregon.

It seems like what little difference there is between our crime rates can entirely be explained by the massive size difference, extreme population difference, and the highly diverse population the US has that the UK doesn't. But I guess that only works when you look at all the factors rather than relying on rhetoric about how the US is some crime haven with a gun in every person's hand and cops shooting random people for fun.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

difference there is between our crime rates can entirely be explained by the massive size difference, extreme population difference, and the highly diverse population the US has that the UK doesn't.

population size difference is not a factor. it's a about rates, not about totals.
and it's pretty ignorant to say that the UK has not a diverse population..
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

It's not fair that you would make the title "US police" because actually, different states have different laws. Also, this has way too much assumption. First of all no one in their right mind would walk calmly, drop something, pick it up, then run if they knew it was just a comb. Second of all, it's as if this video title treats US police as animals. Which in a way is very disrespectful. I've seen many posts about police that are debatable, but this just seems like a video titles to get views on Youtube.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

population size difference is not a factor. it's a about rates, not about totals.
and it's pretty ignorant to say that the UK has not a diverse population..

Several of the categories from that site are about totals. For example, the execution rate was the total number of people executed annually for capital crimes. One of the ones I didn't mention was total prisoners, according to the site DSM linked the US has 82% more prisoners total (11.88 million vs the UK's 6.52) which has nothing to do with rates or percentages.
And it's not ignorant at all. Roughly 72% of the US population is white. Compared to the UK's 92% it's completely fair to say that the US's racial diversity is a far greater factor in crime statistics than it is for the UK.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

it's completely fair to say that the US's racial diversity is a far greater factor in crime statistics than it is for the UK.

when you are a racist maybe...
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

when you are a racist maybe

Yes, I'm saying that because I'm racist. It has nothing to do with the way minorities tend to make up the poorest class or the existence of gangs (and thus gang related violence) or the massive amounts of drugs that cartels bring into the country. Nope, I'm too much of an ignorant bigoted redneck to actually have valid reasons for what I say.[/sarcasm]

DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

What has a bigger minority anything to do with crime rate. It not like all minority equals lower class. If one happens to have a larger minority, it just means bigger percentage of the minority are from middle/higher class.
Let me give you an example. If a country have a 3 percent low class/poor people. That number will not change regardless if you have 5 percent minority or 10 percent, even assuming all the 3 percent are from the minority.
Even if a country have only one ethnicity(which is impossible, but assuming they have), then that low class/poor people will still exist. The only thing that perhaps will be changed is the fact that it will consist of majority.
Also the UK is a country of minority. Taking into the consideration that it consist of several countries. Also the UK immigrants or minority as you call them, are from war zones. Basically they are traumatized people. While the US immigrant are economical emigrants that pursue better opportunities. In that sense the US have a huge advantage, especially considering that they are far richer than the UK.

I am not criticizing the US just to be a jerk, but the sooner the US realize that they have a problem, the sooner they can solve it.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

What has a bigger minority anything to do with crime rate. It not like all minority equals lower class. If one happens to have a larger minority, it just means bigger percentage of the minority are from middle/higher class.

Your scenario only makes sense if the number of people in each class always stayed the same and the races were spread out equally through all of them. That's not true. Economic immigrants are coming to the US with almost nothing and wind up living in low income neighborhoods filled with crime. Their children then grow up in an environment where a life of crime is often the only way to make sure you aren't constantly victimized and so they become criminals. This is a cycle of behavior that drastically increases crime rates in low income neighborhoods and makes it extremely difficult for anyone to escape. It affects schools causing even intelligent children to have trouble learning, it affects jobs and savings as people are constantly having possessions stolen, and it creates an area where police hesitate to go because of the danger making it that much easier to commit crimes.

I am not criticizing the US just to be a jerk, but the sooner the US realize that they have a problem, the sooner they can solve it.

Name it and solve it. You started this thread with a video of a British man being yelled at by British police because he had a comb that looked like a knife and he intentionally misled them into believing it was a weapon. One of those police officers even threatened to tase him. Do you have any reason, other than the video's title, to believe that would result in a person being shot in the US? What exactly is the problem US police have that causes crime rates to be so high? If you even know enough to find that problem, what's your solution? Last question, what right do you have to criticize the US for its crime problems when the UK has more than 10% of its population behind bars while the US doesn't even have 4% of its population incarcerated? The UK even has close to the same number of capital crimes and resulting executions according to the comparison you linked on page 1. If you look at the number of prisoners and executions compared to national population the UK is actually a lot worse than the US.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I'm too much of an ignorant bigoted redneck to actually have valid reasons for what I say.

glad you say this yourself. =)

i just wonder how you put race in line with crime rates..
like every white kid is a goody good and every non white kid is a bady bad... -.-'

Showing 1-15 of 22