ForumsNews and FeedbackPayload Tested... It's Working?

3 7926
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

This is the first time I have seen a recurring ad-related popup anywhere on this site.

During a game, this message will sometimes pop up:

http://s17.postimg.org/flvjewbj3/payload1.jpg

When you click the little x in the corner, this pops up several seconds later:

http://s3.postimg.org/3rwg8wpwz/payload2.jpg

I researched this phenomenon, and apparently this is not the only site where these specific popups appear, but all reports I could find of it have been from today. The general consensus behind these anomalies is that they are a glitch resulting from an existing ad. So far, they seem to be completely harmless, but I cannot confirm this as a fact.

Reports from Imgur
Reports on a UFO message board

It also popped up several times on the Armor Games Official Wiki.

The ad in question may be the 3D rotating ad, which is an ad that takes the shape of a cube or a rectangular prism and rotates through four different ads. This is an example of one via the Armor Games Wiki:

http://s30.postimg.org/wxv2epg0h/payload3.jpg

In the past several days, I have seen these sprout up all over the internet, and they may be the culprits behind these pesky payload popups.

I am not interested in getting rid of this ad for myself at this time. Obvious solutions include Ad-Free Gaming or some kind of ad-blocker. If you've come to tell me about these solutions, save your breath for now. I am more interested in knowing how many people have come across the payload popups, not just on Armor Games, but anywhere on the internet.

If anyone has any further knowledge on these harmless little popups, please tell us what you know.

• 3 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

or some kind of adblock

Shouldn't have said that...Shouldn't have said that.

As for the thing about the popups, it seems pretty annoying, but you've done some research about it, which means it will probably help in fixing it faster.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

Shouldn't have said that...Shouldn't have said that.

Should have read "ad-blocker," so I fixed it. I did not mean the specific add-on by that name, just all ad-blockers in general. I never use any of them as it is, nor do I condone the use of them, but sometimes people will suggest those type of things when responding to an ad-related thread.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I haven't seen any that look like this one specifically, but I did get a similar popup window that said my flash player was out of date and that I had to update it immediately. I've been seeing those rotating ads that you mentioned, and while I don't know if there is a direct correlation between those and the popups, they sure do slow down games!

I've also gotten three reports of phishing attacks ahead since I logged in an hour ago, and I've never gotten one of those from this site before... if those ads are as new as you say they are, they could be responsible for everything we've reported so far!

8 minutes after posting this: I got a new popup that asks me if I want to leave this page... the little x in the corner doesn't work, so I clicked Leave This Page... only that didn't work either, so I had to use the task manager to force quit Chrome... =/

Showing 1-3 of 3