ForumsNews and FeedbackAdd Approximate length to game description

7 4264
nicklepedde
nicklepedde
3 posts
Farmer

It'd be nice when browsing the games to know if it's the sort you can sit down and beat in an hour, or a day or a month. I know there will always be that one commenter who "totally beat it faster", but in general it's be nice to know if my Earn to Die session will be over before lunch, or if I'm getting into something more Gemcraft-esque where I'll be at this for several days.

• 7 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

It's a nice suggestion and something that I thought myself from time to time as well @nicklepedde! Let's see what @Ferret thinks of this!

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@MrDayCee @nicklepedde I do love this idea. I wonder if an actual number should be written each for each game hypothetically, or if we could tag games as being "Quick" games. I also wonder how we'd know. Hmm....

nicklepedde
nicklepedde
3 posts
Farmer

I would be happy with maybe a couple tags:
quick
[no tag assumes it's a moderate length maybe?]
lengthy
endless

I don't know if this is a whole new can of worms, but if members were able to post their beat it time, and an average can be taken from that.

OR you just run a timer when the game is open, and like the quests, when the game is beat it updates the Armor API... I'm sure aside from seeing the approximate length of a game, having a leader board would up the replay for the short ones..

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@Ferret @nicklepedde These tags would need to be added slowly over time I guess... the whole idea would probably look like this in my opinion:

Play Lenght: Flash - Game play time under an hour;
Play Lenght: Quick - Game play time of several hours to one day;
Play Lenght: Moderate - Game play time of several days to a week;
Play Lenght: Long - Game play time of several weeks to a month;
Play Lenght: Extensive - Game play time takes several weeks to months;
Play Lenght: Indefinite - Game play time is indefinite.

The last one would be for MMO's or games like GemCraft for example, which can be played indefinitely.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Curious what @Tasselfoot thinks of this. Maybe @Lroot and @Boppins as well.

Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
802 posts
Chamberlain

Easy enough to do for future content... would need the assistance of the community (you guys) for past games; just too much content, too many old games to remember every one of them.

And then it becomes a matter of the value of doing, the time to do, etc. Which are not questions that I have the answer to.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

GameFAQs has a "poll" for each registered game where you can select how much time you've put into a game. This of course would produce a rough estimate of a game's length, but perhaps the game doesn't end after a plot finish, or there's plenty of replay value. Megaman X would get three-to-four hours, whereas Fallout ]|[ would get 100+ hours.

The average is then displayed somewhere next to the game description. I figure instead of a mission-based polling attempt, we open the flood gates of the new poll feature and figure in an average after a certain period of time.

Showing 1-7 of 7