ForumsNews and FeedbackNew (may become Official) Contest Suggestion.

32 13018
akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Just like there are official Armatar and Poetry Contests, how about an Official Photo Contest which runs for a month and is based on a topic that changes every month? Maybe the photo contest winner can be given a merit as a reward.

• 32 Replies
Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

OOOOOOH, I had actually thought of that before and I wanted to suggest it too. Can we have one?

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

This is a good suggestion, @akshobhya! Photography is not as big as it could be here, and a contest like this would be just the thing to get people interested in it!

Most of the official contests are run by admins, mods or knights, so if you can find one who knows enough about photography and is willing to put in the extra time to run it, you'll have yourself a photography contest!

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

Just to be sure, I'll summon @Ferret to tell us his opinion.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Maybe a Mod can run this... If @Ferret accepts this...

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Gogotank @akshobhya Sounds fun, I'm OK with this. Ideally you'd get a Mod/Knight to support the idea and help run it.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Does anybody need a knight?

I think this a great idea, I actually suggested this to a mod once, but there were too many things going on and I wasn't a knight yet. I fully support this. Perhaps we can find a judging panel, people who have the knowledge to be able to judge other user's photos.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@SirLegendary I'd be glad to provide AFG+ and Merits for winners.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@Ferret that sounds even better, thanks

So we have a prizes, this attracts a few users. It's most important we have people who help start this up by joining. This is great. Now all we need is a good system with good rules, and then good judges. What I'm concerned of is that, how are we supposed to know if that user really took that photo and not took it off from google images. Sure we can search the image but, a few easy edits gets google a little confused. Hmm... :/

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

What I'm concerned of is that, how are we supposed to know if that user really took that photo and not took it off from google images.

It depends on what the theme is. If you choose commonly photographed items such as sunsets or trees as your theme, there are so many pictures of them available through Google that spotting plagiarism could be a challenge. If you set more specific themes such as "a pencil sharpener on a journey" where there are very few images that would fit the theme on Google, preventing plagiarism would be easy because actually finding an image to steal would be very hard.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@Arm_Candy Nicely put, I like your suggestion.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Can a mod be able to run this? Or will the Knight take up the job? Or shall a panel of judges be formed and a winner be declared through voting? (maybe a panel consisting of a Mod, a Knight, an admin and the winner of the last round?)

And, I think we can stop plagiarism, if we have topics that are more im-materialistic, right?

So, @Ferret, will this be given a Green Signal after things are finalised?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I trust @SirLegendary if he'd like to take on the project, I'd be glad to support it how I can. We could also get some Mod feedback @Gantic @MrDayCee @Zophia @Reton8 @Freakenstein @weirdlike @UnleashedUponMankind @kegaumongo.

You can reverse image search to prevent plagiarism, or you could ask that something specific is included in the image I suppose.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I feel up to taking on this project, if that's alright with you @akshobhya? Perhaps we can work on this together, you have my email after all. Though I'd prefer to be transparent about this, so we have everyone's feedback.

I've been doing a little research. I can also tell if an image was just photoshopped through a few useful tools online. It's pretty simple.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Work is getting on me again. So, was a bit late in replying.

@SirLegendary , I think you can take up the Knight spot here -

(maybe a panel consisting of a Mod, a Knight, an admin and the winner of the last round?)

@Ferret, I have a few things in mind.

1) Please give me 2-3 days of time. I will form a set of suggestions to the rules, proceedings, judging etc.. . If it is okay with you, we can have it in for the contest and can be modified to suit it. But, please do give me some time..... Is everyone okay with this? (Please do give me this opportunity/task)
And, should it be posted here or in the E-Mail?

2) Can I also be in the judging team please?

3) I was also thinking about a new Photography Quest. Is that possible? (Just like the Armatar Quest). I will certainly be sure to mention about it in my suggestions.

But please do give me some 2-3 days of time for the suggestions.....

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

I was also thinking about a new Photography Quest. Is that possible? (Just like the Armatar Quest). I will certainly be sure to mention about it in my suggestions.

Instead of making a new quest, you could award the Artist quest to the winners. Currently you can only win that quest from one contest. If you have a new quest created, there will be two quests that are only awarded from a single contest each instead of two contests that award one quest.
Showing 1-15 of 32