ForumsNews and FeedbackNew (may become Official) Contest Suggestion.

32 13038
akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Just like there are official Armatar and Poetry Contests, how about an Official Photo Contest which runs for a month and is based on a topic that changes every month? Maybe the photo contest winner can be given a merit as a reward.

• 32 Replies
akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@Arm_Candy, I think having a new Quest will attract Photographers.

Coming with the rules,

@Ferret, Now, will there be new editions like the Armatar Contest or can we stick to the Monthly topics? If yes, shall the topic of the next month be decided by the winner of the last round or by the panel of judges? (I think going with the judges will be fine)

Let me talk talk about the topics -
I think the topics chosen should be photographable. The topics should also be completely original right? So, I think @SirLegendary has found a method of checking it out.

Coming to the allowance of Photoshopped entries, can this be allowed and considered as an entry for the contest? Since @SirLegendary did find a way of even checking this out, can we have this? @SirLegendary, will you be able to tell if the shot was taken by that person itself or is it a mix of what's available on the Net and his own?

Should there be a standard definition for the Photos? I mean if everything is seeming to be grainy, it would be a bit difficult during judging right? So, if not a standard definition maybe a definition line can be considered and any photo which passes that line can be considered.....(?)

All entries must be fitting to the current contest's theme. If a certain entry is debatable to whatever extend, a "judge" will give the decisive and final ruling for submission.

An entry must be completely original. You cannot use entire (or even elements from) pieces of "photography" made by someone else......A "Judge" can ask you to provide conclusive proof that the entry was created by you entirely and you are obligated to provide this when asked for.

I think these from the Armatar Contest can be considered here too. Right?

Plagiarism will not only exclude your submission by means of disqualification, it will also exclude you from participation in any future contests AND will have further consequences!

So, apart from exclusion, should this contest have this - ""exclude you from participation in any future contests AND will have further consequences!"" ?

Now with the timings, should it be one month or 1.5 months?

With the judging, should that judging be transparent? I mean I have this idea in mind -
Divide the total of a round number maybe say 10 to 20 PER judge into Rubrics that is common to all judges? And this, say, 20 marks be divided into 4 or 5 divisions (if its 4 divisions its 5 marks per division and vice versa) having aspects like Creativity, Photography Skills and a few more? And this be common to all judges?
So if this is considered a judge will award points to the entrant based upon the judging aspects and the person with the highest cumulative points wins that round. So is this okay or should it be the way its done in the Armatar Contests? And if this new system is considered should it be transparent?

Now, coming to the Judging,

Winners will be chosen after the edition is officially closed;
The winning entries are non-debatable, results are final;

According to me, this should be as it is.

As a special appreciation for their outstanding work, all the winners and their winning entries of every edition will be placed into the Armatar [maybe "Photography"] Quest Winners Hall of Fame!

Is this okay?

And coming to another point, I have a few doubts in mind. @Ferret mentioned earlier that he is willing to award the winners a month of AFG+ and a Merit. So, should this be okay or as @Arm_Candy pointed out, should the winner be given the Artist Quest or should a new Quest like the
the Photography Quest with a blue background and an image somewhat like this, - {maybe it can be improvised. We have a lot of amazing artists here right? }

http://previews.123rf.com/images/gromaler/gromaler0809/gromaler080900028/3645475-vector-film-reel-Stock-Vector-negative.jpg

be created? I think @Ferret can decide upon this....

Glad that I found time to write this out. As of now, I have these Suggestions to the Contest. I think I will get more ideas as time proceeds.....

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

If this is a contest about photography, I don't think we should allow photoshop. It's like taking performance enhancers in sports. Also, it gives a huge edge to users who actually know how to use photoshop. If a user who did not know how to use photoshop tried to use it, their unedited photo would have probably looked better.

As for your suggestion about stickying the thread, I don't think it needs that. Don't jump the gun, let's see how popularity in the contest plays out before we start asking for quests or the thread being stickied. Besides, the ASC isn't a stickied contest yet it remains pretty popular.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

So, do you say that we restrict the use of photoshop?

do you suggest that we run an interest check in the forums?

Even the count to 100 was un stickied recently.....

I get it...I think a merit and maybe a month of AFG+ can be fine if the beginning. But if it has a lot of competition later, maybe quests can be added......

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

As far as Quests, let's try the contest for a while and see how it goes.

I would agree about Photoshop, seems like a reasonable rule.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

May I suggest that each round consist of taking more than one photo with sub-themes? Otherwise, the contest doesn't feel like it takes much effort to actually take part in.

Eg: Colours as a theme, with a different day having a different colour as a sub theme.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Should collages be accepted?

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

Should collages be accepted?

If you disallow the use of photoshop, you would have to be careful with allowing any sort of photo editing software. I would say no to collages regardless because it would draw the emphasis toward the combination of photographs instead of the photographs themselves.
maydayp
maydayp
31 posts
Shepherd

to prevent against plagiarism you could require something identifying in the picture. Though that might make it harder to get a good entry.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

And, who will be the mod judge?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@akshobhya I don't think we need a mod judge, we just need users who have experience in photography

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Then, will an admin take care of the prizes?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Ferret already said yes to that, so let's move on to other things we need to plan, yes?

We still haven't found judges. We need users who have some experience in Photography, and not just taking random pictures, but have some real knowledge on it.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Maybe a list of Criterion can be uploaded by you, @SirLegendary for picking the Judges?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Like I said,

"We need users who have some experience in Photography, and not just taking random pictures, but have some real knowledge on it."

Preferably users who have been on the forums for awhile and have experience. Also, just some proof that they know what they are doing. I don't think we're expecting someone really amazing, but someone with enough knowledge to be able to judge some photos from users who probably don't have the experience/knowledge they do.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@SirLegendary, do you know anyone like that?

Showing 16-30 of 32