ForumsProgramming ForumNew Programmer Questions

2 4850
TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

So I got this programming book but it doesn't tell me where I should start, it'd be really helpful for me and probably a bunch of other newbie programmers if you veterans could answer these questions. Thanks.

-What do or should I code first? (Ex. Mechanics first or menu first or etc?)
-Where do I go from there? ^
-What would a newbie most likely do wrong on his/her first try?
-How should I organize my code?
-How many hours a day should a newbie code and not end up being overwhelmed?
-What part is going to feel the most like hell?

• 2 Replies
strouthas
strouthas
24 posts
Nomad

From what I read I assume you have no prior programming experience.
If this is true, all your questions point to the same reply:

Try to follow some beginner tutorials and forget the game for a while.
Learn about basic things like types, variables, loops, conditions.
Then go deeper to object oriented programming like classes, instances, properties.

Then some of your questions will be self answered and the others will be meaningless.

Almost everything in your list is a matter of personal choice.

- I like to concentrate on the most difficult part of the game first and then do simple and easy things like the menus, the messaging etc.
- An obvious wrong approach for a newbie would be a spaghetti code. Learn from the day one to split your code into logical parts and comment your code by any means! Will save you hours/days/weeks as the project grows in files and time

Good luck and don't let the first (and probably many) problems disappoint you.
The amount of joy you will feel at the moment your first game will be complete is enormous! Trust me.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

I understand what I'm doing but I don't understand where to start. It's like I'm being given a tent and taught how to make the tent but not being told where to put the tent if that makes sense. The main question is basically where do I start (i.e start on level 1, a menu, etc.) because I want to put this tent on flat sturdy ground and not quick sand.

Showing 1-2 of 2