ForumsWEPRIs the bottle half empty or half full?

23 13825
TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

It's clearly half empty.

• 23 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

This is an obvious false dichotomy, there is no wrong answer. However, to play the game I'd say it is half full, because the standard condition of a glas is empty, therefore you have to fill it in order to make it half full.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Neither because air
AHURHURHURHRURHRBOfskgzkjesnfoskd

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

However, to play the game I'd say it is half full, because the standard condition of a glas is empty, therefore you have to fill it in order to make it half full.

I could say the opposite. A glass is a container, the purpose of its existence is to be filled. Anytime it's not completely filled it isn't accomplishing that purpose and thus the emptiness stands out.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Given the above posts, I'd just sum my view on this sentence: It depends on whether the bottle is being filled or drained.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

No. There is no such thing as "half full" or "half empty", just as there is no such thing as a "half on" light switch or a "half tails" coin flip. The state of the container is "half capacity".

DeaconTbone
DeaconTbone
1 posts
Nomad

It is clearly both.

never_1337
never_1337
1 posts
Nomad

i say both

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

If you have been filling it, it's half full. If you have been emptying it, it's half empty.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The bottle is always full of something. Half liquid means the rest is air or some other gas. Or solid. Or anything, really.

Nice thinking, but what if you take a bottle with a vacuum and inject half of the bottle's capacity of a certain liquid?

If you have been filling it, it's half full. If you have been emptying it, it's half empty.

What if you don't have that information?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

the bottom half is full the top half is empty. =)

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Then the bottle is full of liquid. It would disperse evenly, though it would be spread a bit thinner.
Liquid doesn't disperse evenly in a vacuum. Only gases do that.

But wouldn't that work the other way around? "The bottom is half empty and the top is half full."
Um...what?
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

He said that the bottom half is full and the top half is empty.

This also begs the question of what constitutes full capacity. ~10^12kg of matter can occupy 1mL with room to spare, so a thinly-spread vapour isn't going to be filling much.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

lol you guise are idiots I already drank it so it's fully empty

Greg7077
Greg7077
824 posts
Jester

It depends, if you we're filling it it's half full, but if you we're drinking it it's half empty.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Heat the liquid until it reaches boiling point.

Why? If you have a bottle with half capacity filled by a liquid and the rest a vacuum, that already defeats your point.

It's full of whatever is inside it if it is evenly distributed.

Actually I'm more of a mind with FishPreferred, if the gas filling the bottle is only at half its habitual pressure, the bottle can be considered at half capacity; otherwise you would have to assume that the bottle can be equally full when containing different amount of matter, which is counter-intuitive. Of course that also means that unlike for solids and liquids, a bottle can be filled by more than its capacity if you pressurize the gas, which is not entirely intuitive either.
Showing 1-15 of 23