ForumsGamesPhysical or Digital

17 6534
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Just like the title says, do you like the physical copy of a game? Or do you prefer a digital download instead?

For me I prefer a physical copy because most of the time, unlike digital, I can sell a physical copy for a somewhat good amount of money.

• 17 Replies
huwbert2013
huwbert2013
239 posts
Bard

I am used to Physical copies,( My age again) from tape drive games in the eighties but I prefer digital for speed of delivery.
There are benefits of resell of course, for physical.
Psst Anybody want to buy any DS games

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

I like a mental copy.

danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

Each has their ups and downs.If you loose your game console when you have a physical copy you can get another console and still play,but you can loose the game itself easier.Digital,however,is lost with whatever stores it,but unless you loose the console it's downloaded into,you can't loose it.I think. not 100% sure 100% of this is correct,so correct me if I'm wrong,but I think you get the message.

I don't have a preference in this matter.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Physical. As I'm a console gamer, they depreciate in value much faster so are cheaper to buy, and second hand ones are often so cheap they're basically giving them away. The other day I bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution for £2.00.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I still like the feel of a physical game cartridge/disc in my hands, brings back such memories of earlier gaming. But really, so long as I get to play the game, I'm not too fussed overall.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

PC or console, physical copies have always made more sense to me. I've never downloaded a game before, and I've never paid for a download, since I don't think much of the idea of buying something that doesn't physically exist. If the computer goes, so does your game.

There is the argument that you can lose the disc or damage it and you would have to replace it, but if you're actually responsible and you take care of your games, that doesn't happen. I've never had to replace a disc, and if the time comes when I have to, a used game disc is usually cheaper than paying what a reputable website would offer for a digital copy of the same old game. If I had to choose between paying almost full price for something that's going to go down when my computer does or paying less than half price for something I can play on any computer, it would not require serious contemplation.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

physical for me. i just really dont like messing with digital stuff. i want to insert the cd or casette or whatever and just play. i want to be able to take it to friends. i simply dont want to be so reliant on my console. physical games are just easier to take care of.

also i want to add that physical games are better when it comes to money saving. its easier to understand how much you are wasting when your using actual money.
plus, if the game gets lost i can at least blame myself. when the digital game doesnt work for some unexplained reason (or a long code that doesnt really mean anything) its very frustrating for me.

impulse255dj
impulse255dj
48 posts
Farmer

There are merits to both. Over many years I have built up quite a substantial collection of games on disc. For the ones I go back and play more often I have been purchasing digital copies on Steam and GOG just for the convenience of having there in my library so I can just click the icon and reinstall it when I take a notion rather than going hunting for the discs in my attic.

However I do hold on to my physical copy for a couple of reasons.
1) It's not unknown for various digital game providers pull games from their stores and servers. When that happens, if the game is not installed on your hard drive at the time, its gone from your collection.
2)From time to time the various networks (Steam, PSN etc) go down meaning that you can not play the games you own.
3) Ok this one is a bit silly but... There is something just nice about buying a game and having a physical thing that you can hold in your hand.

philimaster
philimaster
491 posts
Peasant

I prefer physical, they are always much cheaper and you also sometimes get some sweet sweet extras!

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It's always been physical for me. I love seeing the design that goes into each of my game cases, how they look on my shelves, and I take great pride into maintaining the integrity of the discs and cases. I've had my PS2 and PS3 for years, and all the game discs and cases still look brand new.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

Most of the time I like physical copies of games - it feels nice to add something to my collection. It also takes up less space than a full digital game. Digital games are convenient, though, especially on 3DS and phone because then you don't have to carry them around with you wherever you go. I still like the feeling of owning the actual game with the case and disc/cartridge though. Plus it's easier to find good deals on physical games, although I do occasionally spot very good download deals.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i prefer physical, but there has been times where the digital games were 5-10 dollars cheaper.. so at times like that i go with digital

Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

Physical for me.

Harcokilly
Harcokilly
26 posts
Nomad

Physical - I have great Cd collection = )

shafaet
shafaet
482 posts
Blacksmith

I like Physical Copies of games because then you can just finish the game and keep it along with you to play it months or maybe years later just to give it away to someone that might be desperate to play that game or sell it if you don't want to keep it which can't be done in Digital Copies.

Showing 1-15 of 17