ForumsForum GamesKill the King RPG

81 22892
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

KEEP IN MIND THAT ANYONE CAN DROP INTO THIS RPG AT ANY TIME. DON'T BE DISSUADED BY HOWEVER MANY PAGES IN WE ARE. THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Alright, so I like the idea of playing in an RPG, but I never have because I hate how complicated they are. Making a character sheet and all that always just seems like too much work to me...maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but just in case I'm not, I'm creating a simpler RPG where I, as the creator and narrator, have more control, and you, as the player, need only to worry about little things like combat and decision-making. I'd also like to make this unique (I think?) in that you have to learn many of the mechanics of the RPG on your own, so feel free to experiment with what you can do and how certain things work. Let's see how it goes, and feel free to provide feedback....

Darkness has descended across the land. In a stunning coup d'etat, a man named GhostOfNinja has seized the reins of power from the beloved, and now deceased, king. Since then, the feudal society has been turned on its head, with peasants, middle-class merchants, and even the lords of the various counties of the nation rendered helpless to the whims of the self-proclaimed god "GoN". Roll 1d4 and 1d20 to join the fray. You might also want to tell me your gender; I'll just take a wild guess if you don't.

-----------------------------------
REVEALED: Combat mechanics
Combat is turn-based, with the participant with the higher speed going first. Each turn, you attack for damage equal to your attack stat, which is subtracted from the defender's HP. Defending HP is equal to the defense stat. Each time a defender takes an attack, they roll a 1d4; a 4 dodges the attack completely, a 3 cushions the blow and halves the damage taken (rounded down), a 2 takes normal damage, and a 1 represents a critical hit, doubling the damage.

• 81 Replies
RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant
DICE RESULTS
1 = 1d4
18 = 1d20
Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

Wow, that seems interesting.

Something = 4
SomethingElse = 17

And I'm male.

DICE RESULTS
4 = Something
17 = SomethingElse
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash rolled a 1
Attack: 5 [+1 for dull kitchen knife]
Defense: 5
Speed: 5
XP: 0/30

RazorLash rolled an 18, no special powers

For the ones at the bottom of the social pyramid, not much changes. Kings can come and go, but the hardships of everyday life for these people is always a crushing reality. There was certainly change this time though. When King GoN had gleefully declared that all peasants would be "relieved from their duties, just for ****s and giggles", there had initially been celebration among the serfs. Until the stark realization set in that they now had no job, and their would-be masters were angry. Very angry. Which was why RazorLash now found himself stealing from a street vendor to try to stay alive with no money and no food, on the run from the most powerful man in the county. Worse still, the vendor had caught him.....

CHOICES: Enter combat (vendor base stats = 2/2/2) or Try to talk your way out of it or Give back the food or Propose your own solution

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Gogotank rolled a 4
Attack: 20
Defense: 20
Speed: 20

Gogotank rolled a 17, no special powers

He was a member of the king's circle of most trusted confidants...and yet he was not happy with the king. Before the coup, he had been promised a share of glory, a position of power, a sliver of influence. And yet here he was, with nothing to show for his efforts. The time had come to show the king that broken promises led to broken bones. But he could not act alone.

CHOICES: Ask other agents of the king if they share your views or Keep your plans to yourself for now or Propose your own solution

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

Enter combat
(Question how high of a roll would have been needed for a special power?

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

Combat is turn-based, with the participant with the higher speed going first. Each turn, you attack for damage equal to your attack stat, which is subtracted from the defender's HP. Defending HP is equal to the defense stat. Each time a defender takes an attack, they roll a 1d4; a 4 dodges the attack completely, a 3 cushions the blow and halves the damage taken (rounded down), a 2 takes normal damage, and a 1 represents a critical hit, doubling the damage.

In this case, RazorLash goes first with a speed of 5. He attacks for base 6 damage against the vendor's 3 HP. The vendor rolls a 1d4: Vendor = 2

The vendor takes normal damage and dies. Razor receives 15 XP for dispatching a low-level opponent. XP: 15/30, Level 1

Breathing heavily, Razor watches dispassionately as the life bleeds away from the street vendor. He quickly begins to feast on the contents of the food stand, as civilians scream and clear the area. Just as he begins to feel full for the first time in weeks, he glances up and is surprised to see three men who have not fled from the carnage. One of them smirks sardonically and places a hand on his sword. "Town police," he drawls. "You're under arrest."

CHOICES: Enter combat (police base stats: 10 [+2] / 10 [+2] / 10 ) or Run away or Get arrested or Propose your own solution

To answer your question, that's for me to know and you to find out :^)

DICE RESULTS
2 = Vendor
RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

Run away

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

Wow I just noticed that I've been shifting between past and present tense in my narration. Sorry about that, that's some elementary school stuff. I'll stick with present from now on (I hope), and I'll also use second person instead of third. Also, when joining the game, keep in mind that nothing is stopping you from providing a detailed description of your character, you just aren't required to ^^

@RazorLash

Alarmed, you leap to your feet and start running. Unfortunately, going from starving to stuffed and then exercising in quick succession is a bit rough on the stomach. You manage three or four paces before leaning over and yakking all over the street. The policemen snort. One of them kicks you in the stomach. "Alright buddy, you're coming with us" is the last thing you hear before the pommel of a sword smashes into your skull and you succumb to darkness.

You wake up in a large cell with six other prisoners. Your knife has been taken, and two guards are stationed outside a locked door featuring a barred window. One of your fellow prisoners glances at you, seemingly expecting you to speak. What is your next course of action?

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

I ask them what their in for

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester
DICE RESULTS
2 = 1d4
7 = 1d20
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@RazorLash

"So what are you in for?" you ask lightly.

"Swiped an apple from a street vendor. You?"

"Something like that. Except I killed the street vendor."

He raises an eyebrow and whistles. "Ain't that a *****. I guess that makes you the boss around here."

Another of the six inmates addresses you. "Hey Boss, we've been planning to bust out of here for a while now. You in?"

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

Does a bear crap in the woods? course im in.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

"I want to join the revolution with the peasants. I can't stand how the king treats people like this."

calwina
calwina
300 posts
Blacksmith

Ill try...
BaseStats = 1 DoNotKnow = 10

male.

DICE RESULTS
1 = BaseStats
10 = DoNotKnow
GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

@Loop_Stratos rolled a 2
Attack: 10 [+2 for dagger]
Defense: 10
Speed: 10

Loop rolled a 7, no special powers

The King's one decree so far, the one "relieving peasants of their duties", has directly angered two of the three major blocks of the social pyramid. The peasants are angry because they are jobless and starving. The nobles are angry because they have lost their servants. The merchant middle class, though, has been thrust into an unusual situation. Their loyalties have been split, some with the king, some against him. But as you walk out of your bakery and observe the graffiti on the outside wall ("DOWN WITH THE KING&quot, you realize that there is increasingly little room for neutral parties such as yourself. Your attention is caught by a group of starving peasants who are huddled in front of your door, begging for food. CHOICES: Give them some bread or Ignore them or Propose your own solution

@RazorLash

The plan is quick and well thought out. A faked stomachache, a sharpened wooden spoon, a dead guard, stolen weaponry and armor. Outside the jail, the six inmates look at you with newfound respect for your role in the escape. They propose that the seven of you stick together, with you as their leader. CHOICES: Accept or Deny or Propose your own solution
Received 5 XP for escaping jailhouse.
Received 10 XP for surviving one day. (forgot to give you this last post)
XP: 30/30, Level Up to Level 2! For leveling up to Level 2, you may add 2 points, divided as you choose, to any of the categories of Attack, Defense, or Speed. New XP: 0/35
Acquired equipment: Guard's Sword [+2 Attack], Guard's Armor [+2 Defense]

@Gogotank

Unlike many of the king's advisers, you have compassion for the masses. And so, despite the fact that the peasant revolution seems completely decentralized and unorganized, you've decided to join it. Your first goal is to find the peasants' leader (if they even have one). You walk into the king's armory for what you know will likely be the last time. Best to make it worthwhile. Choose any (and as much as you want) equipment you can think of to bring with you; the king has access to nearly anything.
Received 1 XP for choosing a side.
Received 10 XP for surviving a day.
XP: 11/30

Showing 1-15 of 81