ForumsWEPRDeath sentence for terrorists

17 13186
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

There is a huge debate here in Israel about a new law some right wing party is trying to pass.

The law claim that any person who was proven guilty of taking terrorist action againat civilians can be sentenced to death. They even claim that supporting a terrorist act first handly (like driving a suicide bomber to its target or building a bomb) can get you sentenced to death.

Firstly, I am nost a religious person, so the claim "You are not god and cant choose who live and who dont" dosent affect me. A country DO choose who die and who dosent if neccesery.

Secondely, this is not your normal death sentence thread. Here you dont talk about a simple murdurer with a criminal ideas, but a person who murder another person just because the murderer belive in some ideaoligy that claim that his cause make the victim a target.

I will be glad to hear your opinions.

• 17 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

this is too complicated. what is the root of evil? nature? nurture? any person can come up with any excuse to throw away responsibility in order to avoid death. in the end, you are responsible for your own actions. sure, those people might have been pure souls if they were born else where, but its irrelevant. what is relevant is the people who get hurt. those people have to be protected, not those who commit the crimes.

If you pay close attention to what you read, you will notice I have never said anything contrary to that.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

In my view, it's another case of the Israeli government being hopelessly politically inept. Terrorists in this case will likely mostly be members of Hamas and Hezbollah, and executing a member of these organisations will mostly serve their interests; an executed terrorist will be a martyr and thus they can paint the Israelis as callous and galvanise greater support. Imagine Israel's response if Hezbollah executed an Israeli prisoner. If these people pose a significant threat to the state, just lock them up in maximum security and leave them there.

Showing 16-17 of 17