ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGoodbye (Short Story)

6 4713
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Gee sat on the floor, next to his broken bed. The bed was broken for years now, but it was only today that he tried to fix it. Avoiding all emotion, and trying his best to act like he did not have a heart. He filled his time with things he had learned over the years. On that day, he woke up, played his guitar, played the piano, ate breakfast, read Looking for Alaska, wrote a song, played blackjack with himself, played chess with himself, logged onto forums, watched the news, watched Whiplash, watched Fight Club, watched The Notebook, Watched 500 days of summer, went jogging, worked out, went a few rounds with his punching bag, and finally tried fixing his bed. Eventually there was nothing left he liked to do. There was silence, a deep silence, but what screamed the most was what was inside. Between his chest and his stomach, was fire. It was fire, the kind that would set someone's mindset to committing suicide, genocide, and maybe even just simply crying. His stomach felt like all the butterflies suddenly exploded. It almost felt as if he couldn't breathe, and all the muscles in that part of his body had cramped up. She left him all alone, in the cold, bare, raw, and short of breathe.

It was only a few hours ago that he felt like he could die poor, but happier than the richest man could be, happier than a kid who could eat all the candy in the world, happier than when Tyler Durden disappeared, happier than Tom when he first kissed Summer.

"I don't understand why couples get bored of each other."
"Every day something new happens, every day a problem emerges and couples would have each other to talk about those problems."
"If we were at a park, you think we could talk for hours?"
"We could talk for hours and it would only feel like five minutes."
"Give me a kiss."

He didn't remember who said what, but only remembered that it was said.

"Gee, you know this won't last forever, I don't want you to get your hopes up."
"I know, I'm ignoring all my personal philosophies and beliefs about relationships just by being with you. We're running into a wall, but that doesn't matter. None of that matters because of you."
"I'm here and you're there. I'm scared."
"Why?"
"I'm scared of the day when I hurt you."
"On a long enough timeline, anything and everything becomes obsolete, so it doesn't matter."
"I loved that."
"What?"
"What you said, I never thought about it that way."

It was almost too painful to think about how long before the pain goes away. How much longer till he could feel numb again. She was different from many others. When other girls would talk about shopping, she would talk about books, movies and music. When other girls were with him, they would use their phones, while she would totally forget she had a phone. When other girls were sleepy on a phone call, they would say they needed rest and said goodnight, while she would stay up and keep the call on even if she was asleep.

Gee thought to himself that he would never find anyone else as perfect for him like she was. She was beautiful, smart, funny, and weird. She blinked slowly, bit her lips, and always smiled when she saw him. Her mole above her eye, her dimples on her cheeks, her brown hair, and her soft lips was everything to him. How do you continue to love something you let go? He wasn't bitter, he was the one who let her go. What do you do when everything you cared about vanished into thin air, gone with the wind?

He sat up from the floor, next to his unfinished bed and started writing his letter to her. It would be the closest thing to a proper goodbye.

Dear Mia,

I couldn't stop thinking about you, nothing in this world would could stop me from thinking about you. I know I said that we shouldn't talk anymore after our last goodbye, but I couldn't help but feel like there were some things unsaid. I let you go, and I only did that because I knew that's what you wanted, and that it would make you happy. We were never meant to last, and I was about to ask you if you wanted to try a long distance relationship, but my waiting for the right time resulted in the end of our time together. I'm not writing this because, I wanted you to feel guilty, but because I did fall for you, even though I thought it was impossible after everything I've been through. The truth is, I woke up everyday for you, I ate my breakfast, lunch and dinner for you. I didn't sleep because I wanted the seconds to last, which was after all, for you. I just wanted to tell you good bye in the most sincere way I could. Perhaps in another world we could have been together. A world where you didn't have to leave. A world where I owned a jet to fly to you. A world where I could do something to be next to you, instead of call you and tell how I wish I could be beside you. A world where our kisses actually made physical contact. A world with you. Time will eventually take away any world though, so I'm just glad to have been able to have done everything we could while you were here, and talked about everything you could through a phone, in this world.

On a long enough timeline, anything and everything becomes obsolete, so it doesn't matter.

From your very own idiot, gee.

He read the letter, over and over again. It was strange to him, he'd never reread anything as much as he did with this letter.

• 6 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

WAAAAAAA! *sobs*

But at any rate, great story XD. See what happens when inspiration strikes?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Not my ideal source of inspiration.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

That what doesn't kill you... makes you stronger... keep that in mind, always...

Great story bud! I don't read much, but this caught my attention to the very last punctuation...

Saphire24
Saphire24
3,114 posts
Scribe

Is this based on reality!? :'( Poor you if so. :'( A good read, well done.

K261326
K261326
26 posts
Nomad

Nice Story got into the story i can feel where the feelings goes. agree with saphire poor if its based from you.

red303
red303
7,571 posts
Shepherd

Another great story by a great author. Nice job, Legend.

Showing 1-6 of 6