ForumsWEPRDimensionality

9 2845
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Watch this video:
<script src="http://flash.revver.com/player/1.0/player.js?mediaId:99898;width:480;height:392;" type="text/javascript"></script>
If that doesn't work go here.

What would it be like to exist in a different dimension?
The higher dimensions include other universes where the basic physical laws are different, what would those universes be like?
Is it possible to have universes lacking other dimensions, like time?

• 9 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I love ideas like this. Reminds me of the string theory. Let me watch it real quick.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

The first dimension is an extension of dimension 0 to dimenstion 0 (2 ideas, or points). The 2nd and third dimension deal with area and volume, the dimensions that form existance (or at least our existance). The 4th dimension would be duration, or arguably time. The 5th dimension is how time may move or split. The 6th dimension seems to be another point, a point that contains every previous dimension. To jump from dimension 5 to another branch of dimension 5 would mean you would jump instantly to another possible timeline that could have possibly accured. The 6th dimenstion is this jump, once again a branch of possible dimensions. The 7th dimension is every possible event made into one point, this would mean every possibility from the Big Bang, to the collapse or end of the universe. The possible time line of each infinity (or all of existance and how it may differ from a different infinity) would be line 8, which may branch off into more infinity points, which each other possibility (and not the single line we travel on now) would be the 9th dimension. The 10th dimenstion then becomes a point, in which all of time, all possiblities, all that may be impossible to exist. All of which is possible or shall never be imaginable, fits in one point, the 10th dimenstion.

I am either completely wrong about this theory, or only maybe slightly right. I should probally just stick with studying psychological theories and not worry about dimensional theories. x.x

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I have not heard higher dimensions described in that way, and I'm not entirely sure I buy the whole thing. But assuming that's it's correct you have an interesting question in "What would it be like to exist in a different dimension?"
The phrase "what it's like" is really just questioning consciousness. So by having it be "like" something is implying a state of consciousness that exists independently of whatever is going on inside of our brains to make us experience this odd phenomenon.
Looking at higher dimensions from a mathematical standpoint, it doesn't seem to agree with physics in that these dimensions would have a much higher state of energy than our own dimension. Now, that's all well and good if we are contained in or created by higher dimensions since energy can easily be lost in a system such as this. But the way this video described the hierarchy it seemed as though you had to have the "lower" dimensions in order to have the "higher" ones. You can't have a line unless you have a point, right? Otherwise the line become undefinable.
It's important to note that I'm really just talking out of my butt here and I really have no business arguing theoretical physics here, but the philosopher in me can't help but point out flaws like this.

But back to the original question, assuming that quantum physics is at least in the ballpark we would certainly have to account for every conceivable possibility within an isolated system. Extrapolating beyond this seems a bit silly, though. This might explain the "dark energy" that is overcoming the force of gravity of the entire universe, since each of these systems would have to have its own energy in order to operate.
But if we are contained within the tenth or ninth dimension, then what we can see and experience is actually a part of these dimensions and we are merely experiencing in the manner in which are tiny brains are capable of experiencing such things. Which is why is makes much more since that we're really just all Boltzmann Brains floating around.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Too tired to come up with something constructive.

So I'm going to construct a probabilistic equation for the amount of time that elapses between mentions of Boltzmann Brains xD

It will be a function of the number of Boltzmann Brains in a given area, recursively related to the probability of existence of said Boltzmann Brain lol.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Well, that's all well and good but you're going to have to presuppose the existence of the Boltzmann Brain.
Or if the equation is one of equivalence then maybe I could just keep mentioning them and increase the probability of their existence!

Boltzmann Brain
Blotzmann Barn
... that's quite a tongue twister!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Nooooo, it's starting to look more and more like a variant of Godwin's law!

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

I thought that the 4th dimension was a hyper cube???
http://www.fleischfilm.com/bilder/2%20wireframeHypercubeProjectedEdit.jpg

Karoc
Karoc
433 posts
Nomad

It is a hyper cube and so is what this guy is showing.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Is it possible to have universes lacking other dimensions, like time?

I have wondered about this and I do think it is possible, except that universe wouldn't be able to do anything because anything we do takes time.
Showing 1-9 of 9