ForumsGamesOld Game of the Week

31 23044
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

With quest games being so popular, many of the older games that do not and will not ever have quests become forgotten my the majority of players.

Each week, I will find a game that has been on this site longer than I have, play it, post it here and give it a brief overview so others who are interested may play it and discuss it.

This week's game is:

http://cache.armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/magnetism-495.png
Magnetism

This game was added to Armor Games in 2007, but it is actually even older than that. The goal of the game is to get the metal ball into the cup, while avoiding different magnets and obstacles and using them to your advantage at the same time. There are four sets of 25 levels, two which are played with the mouse and two with the keyboard. Timing and accuracy are required to beat every level of this underrated physics puzzler.

• 31 Replies
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I was a little disappointed having to kill all the reds even after some of them risked their lives collecting the coins.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

@Ernie15 It is lacking in logic, but not entirely. Many of the later levels involve planning ahead, even if it means jumping at the exact right moment. Players do get stuck on some levels according to the comments.

@weirdlike I prefer to think of it as a situation where the reds want to die the same way that the greens want to make it through the door. They risk their lives for the greens on every level when all the greens do is take their coins and run to the exit. That may be why the reds steal their shields every now and again.

GeoffreyXIV
GeoffreyXIV
42 posts
Nomad

I played it once through, and then I played some levels again to collect the coins which I did not collect the first time, and my score from the end kept increasing, so after collecting all coins I played the first 6 again and it still increased.

Aidan257
Aidan257
3 posts
Nomad

Beat it and got all the coins. Really challenging and fun game, well designed but short. Thanks for suggesting!

cobbcannon3423
cobbcannon3423
295 posts
Marquis

It was pretty fun, some of the later levels gave me a hard time but it wasn't too challenging.
I feel like some of the mechanics could have been introduced a bit earlier and even after some of them were introduced they almost never got used, like the shield.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

This week's game, suggested by @Ernie15, is:

http://gamemedia.armorgames.com/654/icn_thmb.png
Galactic Gravity Golf

If you have ever wondered what it was like to play golf in space, no longer shall it be a mystery to you! The goal is to launch the ball into the black hole in as few shots as possible and with the highest score possible. Beware of planets, which have their own gravitational pull and will absorb the ball if contact is made, but can also help pull the ball closer to the black hole depending on their location. The longer the ball is kept alive before it enters the black hole, the more freefall points will be added to your score. A black-hole-in-one is worth over one million points. How high can you score in 36 levels?

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

Politely requesting Exit Path

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Gravity golf is fun, I've played similar space games but not with golfing so this was new "fore" me. Got around 24k as a final score, I don't know how high that is but I doubt it is a good score as I did not focus on getting gems and such, but mostly focused on getting the ball into the hole.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

My most recent score was about 21 million by level 28, I stopped there. Gems and freefall are nothing compared to black holes in one, which are easy to obtain in the first 18 holes. It isn't as enjoyable once the dark matter planets appear and the ball bounces all over the place.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

@GhostOfNinja I may feature Exit Path later on when newer users frequently view this thread, but the goal right now is to introduce users to older games that they have probably never played. Exit Path is a great game, but it also has 16 million plays.

This week's game of the week is:

http://gamemedia.armorgames.com/7553/icn_thmb.png
ControlCraft

ControlCraft is a platform strategy game that was added in 2010, and the objective is to take control of all enemy towers. To accomplish this task, you must overwhelm enemy towers with units by number. Each tower has a number on it, so if you send more units than that tower has in it, you can capture that tower. However, units in towers replenish every several seconds, even while your units are on their way, so you must have plenty of reinforcements. The playing field is filled with 'neutral' towers that are not occupied by anyone, so they can be captured by anyone. The more towers you have, the more units you can summon, and the easier it will be to dominate the other teams.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Played this one before, the recap is pretty nice as some levels are a bit challenging to get the initial edge over the cpu... sadly its usually the first few minutes that make or break you in regards to completing the level. Pretty fun.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Easy until it gets to the level that's nothing but launchers. Haven't found a way through that one yet. The reds are unstoppable.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I don't usually like strategy games, but this one was above average. My favorite part was listening to soldiers speak upon deployment. They have those classic English phrases down, like "Infermative" and "Cool it, someone".

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

If I can get on the internet this Thursday, which I could not last Thursday, there will be a new old game of the week.

@weirdlike Some levels the difference is in the first few seconds. Control Craft 2 gives more leeway for recovery since the towers max out higher, and additional units can be sent to towers that are already at their maximum regeneration level. Some levels have identical layouts to ControlCraft, but are easier to beat in Control Craft 2 because of the small mechanical differences.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

Now that I can load and play games again, this should be a weekly event again.

This week's game of the week, suggested by @nichodemus, is:

http://gamemedia.armorgames.com/2409/icn_thmb.png
Mastermind World Conqueror

This strategy game was added in 2008, and in this one, you are the bad guy. The goal is to take over the entire world, which is done by completing criminal missions in various parts of the world and eventually acquiring continents as your own. This must be done while also defending against occasional enemies who will raid your base, which can be upgraded to different locations to give yourself an advantage. You may have up to thirty minions at a time, all of which are the replaceable. Attack, defend, and conquer the planet!

Showing 16-30 of 31