ForumsProgramming ForumSo i am learning how to make 2D games.... any advice?

4 7544
thebeast782
thebeast782
63 posts
Nomad

I am currently learning how to use Unity in effort to create 2D games. As a beginner i am wondering if anyone has any advice or any sites i can learn from. Again, beginner but i am ready for a challenge as i think this could be a gateway into the video game industry. Sure, it WONT be an instant success but I need to learn.

From studying the site from a while, a game gets an average amount of 80k plays. So, feed me people. (Not really) I must learn.

• 4 Replies
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I found this site has a good list of tutorials. 2d and 3d games in Unity are pretty similar only difference is how the camera is positioned. Unity has a lot of it's own tutorial series that are pretty good too. If you just google 2d unity game tutorial you are bound to hit a lot of good results too.

dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

I found this site has a good list of tutorials.

@thebeast782 maybe u can start by making some kind of a small pokemon map after checking out that link?

edit: oh i forgot to tell that u dont need to put every single pokemon into that map

GoodyPundit
GoodyPundit
56 posts
Shepherd

Can I suggest you to start with developing a very simple game?

MartinJ95
MartinJ95
3 posts
Farmer

start small, stuff like basic gameplay mechanics and have something playable, keep working and building up and keep adding to your ideas. try following tutorials to get a feel for the code and once your more comfortable you will start to be able to understand it easier and be able to change and adapt code in your own way. obviously success won't come straight away and it really is hard (i myself would really love to make games to get into the games industry). but yeah just try not to over do things since your a beginner and just build up from small things. i would suggest something like a shoot em up as they are like the easiest type of game to make.

Showing 1-4 of 4