ForumsWEPRThe Labour Party Leadership Vote.

6 5590
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

This ongoing shambles is case everything wrong with British politics at the moment. I'd like to present a little outline of events:

The Labour Party has traditionally been the left wing party of the working class, although it has drifted to the centre in recent years under the various leaderships of Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and Ed Miliband. Following a disastrous last election where their main rivals, the right wing Conservatives (AKA The Tories) took an overall majority and their Scottish candidates were wiped out by the Scottish National Party, Miliband resigned. Four candidates have stepped up to try and be elected leader:

Andy Burnham is in favour of moderate reforms to reduce spending cuts and increase the public sector, and various other fairly sensible policies. Seems a solid, if uninspiring choice.

Yvette Cooper is broadly similar to Andy Burnham in aims, if not implementation.

Liz Kendall is like the others but more right wing.

Jeremy Corbyn is a radical left wing candidate with far reaching plans to reform basically everything. He also favours dramatically altered foreign policy which involves withdrawing from NATO. Unlike the others, he seems to actually believe in his policies, and behaves nothing like a career politician.

As you might expect, Jeremy Corbyn immediately gained a small, but loud and passionate following among old Labour veterans and young firebrands. Suddenly, everything was about Jeremy; it wasn't "Why my policies are good", it was "Corbyn's policies are rubbish". Various former politicians, including Tony Blair, have expressed their dislike of his ideas, likely boosting him further. There was also an attempt by some elements of the media to twist his opposition to the Israeli government into anti-semetism, but nothing sticks to him. Matters came to a head when some people who had joined the Labour Party specifically to vote Corbyn in as leader were expelled because it was believed they were Tory infiltrators. With only eight days remaining until the result is declared on the 12th, the party is in total disarray.

• 6 Replies
philimaster
philimaster
491 posts
Peasant

Yurp...
#corbyn4presidentoftheuniverse
In all seriousness, Corbyn is the obvious choice for labour. For one, he seems more inspired than all the rest and secondly he has traditional Labour values!
And as Keir Starmer said " what labour needs is values" which ones you may ask? not specified...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Well Corbyn wins. He once voted on a bill in 2004 calling for Arsenal to be recognised as the best club football team in the world at the moment; Lots of support around Islington then. Pity Campbell is a Conservative, if Corbyn took him as part of his campaign, he'll have a large core of loyal voters. :P

Though seeing he's viewed as a radical far left, all hail the next Tory government.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Corbyn is a supporter of Hamas and Hizbhulla. Said more than once he appreciate them. He also has some links with holocaust deniers.

I belive that this is the end for the labour dream to win the election. I mean, No one who consider themselves 'moderate' will vote for him. The jewish community who traditionaly supported the labour will propebly change its loyalty.

And on another aspect - I belive that Corbyn victory reppresent a wave that go around Europe, of moving to the extreme. May it be left or right wingers, the wierdo's and fatanticals getting more and more seats because you European loonatics just get scared from the world that change around you.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Corbyn is a supporter of Hamas and Hizbhulla. Said more than once he appreciate them. He also has some links with holocaust deniers.

He's one of the minority in the corridors of power who hates the Israeli government (An entirely reasonable position...). Minority positions always end up with nutters...

KrissBoiixP
KrissBoiixP
75 posts
Nomad

Why does everyone hate the right side so much?
I think the center is the best way to go, take the best from both sides. Left side is going nuts with feminism and ''equality'' and right side seems to sometimes forget the people and drags along religion everywhere they go.
I am glad they went with Cameron, at the election it seemed to be the only option to vote for.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I think the right gets flak because of the uncaring toff image. There's some truth in it, but the left is also guilty of mudslinging. Not every Conservative is a corporation loving tax slashing fundamentalist. Everyone is guilty of demonizing the opponent. We're just not smart enough to pick out the grains of truths amidst the deluge of falsehoods all the time. It's also far easier on our conscience and mind to depict the other side as evil.

The best leaders are the ones who try and portray a united front, those who strip themselves of any political ideologies, with the sole aim of just setting out to do what they feel is best for the country. And I think many political campaigners would like to do just that.

But that's near impossible, you don't moderate yourself and win votes with a neutral image. At least, that's not a very common outcome.

Showing 1-6 of 6