ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Closed][Official] Armor Games' Armatar Contest: PIRATES!!! YARRR!!!

134 59158
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8253540719_7b89c6b013_b_d.jpg
Summer is almost over and so is the "Summer Edition" of the ArmorGames' Armatar Contest. We can truly state that this edition was a BIG success, rendering a fantastic amount of awesome creations made by our users, which made it impossible to choose a winner! Thank you all for your incredible entries!!

Moving onwards to the next edition again and some of you may already know what it is... as we're back with that popular theme that is even celebrated with it's very own, special day of the year, which is coming Saturday! For those of you still wondering what this theme could be, well... Arrr, me hearty! Sat'rday be th'day we be celebratin' "Talk like a Pirate day", so the new theme be all'bout:

...well shiver me timbers... PIRATES!!! YARR!!!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/9801002245_ecb7e3a2ee_o_d.png

Avast! By the powers! 'ere be guidelines that'll help ye figur'out what be allowed and what not :

ARMATAR CONTEST GUIDELINES :

ne: All entries must be appropriate. They cannot be offensive or profane in nature. Keep it clean!
The entry must be square and at least 512x512 pixels in dimension.
Your entry must scale down well to 100x100. So if it looks good in its larger form, make sure that it will still look good when it is scaled down to the armatar size. Here are a few suggestions about this :
Sometimes keeping it simple is better. If you go into a lot of detail, it might not look as great when you scale it down. So keep in mind what the Armatar size will be and check often how it looks when it is scaled down.
Remember to save a lot while you are making it! Better to delete 20 -in between made- save files later on, than ending up with a finished piece you don't like or an end result that is showing up blurred when scaled down...
If you are able to do vector, by all means! That can help with the sharpness of the image. However, since they are small in Armatar size, this is probably not a big issue.
All entries must be fitting to the current contest's theme. If a certain entry is debatable to whatever extend, a Mod or Admin will give the decisive and final ruling for submission.
An entry must be completely original. You cannot use entire (or even elements from) pieces of artwork made by someone else, the entire armatar must be 100% created by you! A Moderator can ask you to provide conclusive proof that the entry was created by you entirely and you are obligated to provide this when asked for.

Plagiarism will not only exclude your submission by means of disqualification, it will also exclude you from participation in any future contests AND will have further consequences!

CLOSING DATE OF THIS CONTEST :

This'ere brand new contest be runnin' for a fair time now, so aye, we be lookin' at a grand grand booty o'drawin's from all o'ye scurvy dogs! What time 'tis be ye say? Well, that Jolly Roger be wavin' up high from 09/14/2015 'till 10/12/2015 matey!!

WINNING SUBMISSIONS :

Every participant of an official edition of the Armor Games' Armatar Contest receives a well deserved Merit for submitting one -or more- entries to every separate edition held. This means a maximum of one Merit per participant, per edition.

Alongside this Merit for your participation, we now have a special non-game Quest to award for the winning submissions of the Armor Games' Armatar Contest!! This special Armatar Creator Quest will be bestowed upon the creators of the winning entries that were chosen for every contest held from now on. The winners will receive this Quest to show our appreciation for their outstanding work. Wear this Quest with pride!
Winners will be chosen after the edition is officially closed;
The winning entries are non-debatable, results are final;
The Armatar Creator Quest can only be awarded once per user. If a particular user wins another edition, they will not receive this Quest again, as Quests can not be achieved a second time;
As a special appreciation for their outstanding work, all the winners and their winning entries of every edition will be placed into the Armatar Creator Quest Winners Hall of Fame!

So, go! Be gone to yer drawin' tables and start creatin' that thar shiny booty! And if y'won't, well blow me down! We be keelhaulin' ya fo'sure Jack! Now get t'work! Before we make ye walk that ther'plank... YA-HARR!!!

*Yo-Ho-Ho... and a bottle o'rum*

• 134 Replies
Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

Man, not even a mention

Ah... well... always next time!

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

There are many things that are unclear in the picture. One example is the diver's shadow. There is no sign of the diver's body in the picture so presumably he or she must be out of the picture's view, which would result in the diver be a ways away from the shadow. Therefore, the shadow cannot be a mere five foot tall shadow from that distance from the shadow caster to the shadow itself. The shadow's outline wouldn't be so defined either.
If something looks and acts nothing like a shadow, is it reasonable to assume that it is a shadow?

You need to stop this ad hominem attack saying that I have problems seeing correctly.
Apparently, ad hominem only counts when I'm saying something.

Others (including a staff member) have also pointing out that the picture is hard to make out at armatar size. Why do you continue to deny this obvious fact?
What gives you the idea that I would ever be denying that?

Yes, they are out of view now on the repost of your picture after you cropped it to support this argument.
Yeah; not buying it. I was willing to suspend disbelief up to this point, but you've exceeded the absurdity limit on this one. What's the point of even making such a claim? You can't possibly believe it.

Which picture would you like me to refer to from here on out?
Either.

All I'm saying is that a marine animal that weights upwards of several tons is going to need a way to swim properly and manage all of that weight.
Swimming is what cephalopod fins are for. Supporting weight is what water does. Huge tentacles aren't needed for either (although I've got that covered regardless).

Look, I know that you probably put significant effort into this image and are a little upset with me bringing this stuff up.
This only makes it funnier.
Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

So this is happening...

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Looks like we couldn't avoid it...well, new experience for everyone. Arguing over an AG armatar...I bet art critics take it easier on each other when discussing Van Gogh

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

If something looks and acts nothing like a shadow, is it reasonable to assume that it is a shadow?

Of course. That shadow must still follow the laws of physics though.

Apparently, ad hominem only counts when I'm saying something

No, what counts as ad hom is making "mean" personal insults about me being dysmorphopsic, having my monitor painted black, etc. rather than facing me like a mature individual and being logical. I don't really care about your superficial attacks and I don't want an apology, but what would impress me is a little grown up maturity and a little less peppery flippancy.

What gives you the idea that I would ever be denying that?

Because so far all you have done is deny that there is anything wrong with the picture and have instead tried quite hard to twist around the discussion to ignore apparent facts.

I was willing to suspend disbelief up to this point

Whatever. You've been in disbelief throughout this entire discussion.

Either.

In that case I'll go with the unaltered original.

Swimming is what cephalopod fins are for. Supporting weight is what water does. Huge tentacles aren't needed for either (although I've got that covered regardless).

Gravity doesn't end at the water's surface you know. Just because things fall slower underwater due to the thicker atmosphere doesn't mean that they don't fall at all. The animals afore mentioned still need the proper body part to support themselves (and live). My argument stands.

This only makes it funnier.

Makes what funnier? The picture? Yeah ok, I guess that's a new way to look at it. A dark, disproportional, 2D MS Paint drawing of a set of poo poo brown squid tentacles (that really what a kraken is) is so darn funny. You should do stand ups at the Greek.
Ok, now we're equal with the sarcasm.

Looks like we couldn't avoid it...well, new experience for everyone. Arguing over an AG armatar...I bet art critics take it easier on each other when discussing Van Gogh

Exactly. I offer some constructive criticism actually trying to help and I end being mocked and treated like I'm trying to start Troll Wars: The Kraken Awakens. If you've read all of our posts, you should see that I've actually been rather nice, unemotional, and quite fair.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The tension isn't caused by criticism, it's the delivery and tone of the critic that causes some people to feel that it's an unsubtle jab, whether it was intended or not. On the other hand, it takes two hands to clap. Someone doesn't like a bit of amateur art, just ignore it if it doesn't bother you. Someone else doesn't accept your critic, same advice, move on. There comes a point where people need to realise that getting riled up over the internet is pointless. ;D

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Of course. That shadow must still follow the laws of physics though.
Interesting. I never knew that the laws of physics allowed shadows to carry high-power lamps and glowsticks.

In that case I'll go with the unaltered original.
Then my point stands.

Gravity doesn't end at the water's surface you know. Just because things fall slower underwater due to the thicker atmosphere doesn't mean that they don't fall at all. The animals afore mentioned still need the proper body part to support themselves (and live). My argument stands.
1 It's called buoyancy.
2 The &quotroper body part" is any gas-filled chamber and/or any low-density tissue that keeps them at neutral buoyancy; and yes, most cephalopods have that.
3 The largest whale species has proportionally tiny flippers.
4 The colossal squid has proportionally tiny arms.

Makes what funnier? The picture?
Your constructive criticism. It was believable at first, but you've made it far too absurd to be taken seriously.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Your constructive criticism. It was believable at first, but you've made it far too absurd to be taken seriously

This is because your sarcastic deviations from the real issues that I pointed out have dragged the discussion into la la land. It was YOU who threw these absurd rhetorical questions at me, and then YOU call my arguments absurd after I reply like I was the one who said them originally.

Interesting. I never knew that the laws of physics allowed shadows to carry high-power lamps and glowsticks.

The laws of physics don't allow anything like this and I never said anything like this, so whatever.

Then my point stands.

What point? Do you mean to tell me that you actually have one?

1 It's called buoyancy.
2 The "proper body part" is any gas-filled chamber and/or any low-density tissue that keeps them at neutral buoyancy; and yes, most cephalopods have that.
3 The largest whale species has proportionally tiny flippers.
4 The colossal squid has proportionally tiny arms

Well, I partially agree with this. 1 these facts usually hold true. 2 but your creature still didn't appear to have the proper proportions. I'm not saying that it's fatally flawed. Since the kraken is a non existent mythical creature, you're certainly allowed to your interpretations of what it should look like. I was just saying that a kraken would most likely be a cephalopod if it existed, hence the things I pointed out.

-------------------

Troll Wars: The Kraken Awakens

Pardon me for being a little narcissistic, but I think that this is pretty darn funny.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@FishPreferred @SportShark

You two right about done now?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Awesome

Now how about the badge and merit

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Now how about the badge and merit

For your wife's work

Well, make sure to thank her (again) when you get them XD

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Yeah haha. She was happy to know that her drawing made it.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Last entry in this thread before it is locked...

The Merits and Quests long overdue have finally been rewarded to the rightful owners!
Really sorry for the delay in this, but real life got in the way...

Congratulations to all winners and participants! YAY!

Thread is now officially locked...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Strike that... one more last entry... heheh

A callout to all participants; seeing as not all entries were made available and you want your entry to be available for you one last time, please comment on my profile and I will add it to the main list.

@kegaumongo
@Koshionos
@ivanxxxxxxx
@Ernie15
@spaceskeleton
@FishPreferred
@Doombreed
@Arm_Candy
@StormWalker
@huwbert2013
@Frank_Frooton
@Miraidematro