ForumsPopular MediaAll Time Favorite Bands by Category

5 5822
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

(Please Note: a similar thread may have existed at a certain point in time, but is likley necro and forgotten. This thread follows a list-by-category format, so it is not another random let's just post names thread. Please leave it open, MODs!)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

If being an audiophile was a crime, I'd be serving three consecutive life sentences! Think you're an audiophile? Let know some of your favorite bands from across the decades!

Rules:
No random posting like "Me favaryte band be P!NK!!!!!"
You must structure your list like I did. Listing by something like genre or decade is the idea. If you can't handle this mentally, go away.
Note: You don't need to post a huge comprehensive list; you can just post something like your favorite band in certain genre for starters.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Here we are, the bands I love:
----------------------------------------
Classic Rock:
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Elvis Presley
Fleetwood Mac
The Eagles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Eric Clapton/Cream
The Allman Brothers
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

90's Rock & Grunge
Stone Temple Pilots
Nirvana
Candlebox
Gin Blossoms
Weezer
Garbage
Bush
Radiohead

Metal, Post Grunge, & Foreign
Five Finger Death Punch
System of a Down
Breaking Benjamin
Avenged Sevenfold
Disturbed
Staind
Korn
Three Days Grace
Böhse Onkelz
Rammstein

---------------------------------------
Pop
---------------------------------------
Coldplay
No Doubt
Imagine Dragons
AWOLNATION
Silversun Pickups

• 5 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I think @Minotaur55 would agree with me that your options/genres are a bit...overarching. Too much of an umbrella for each. He'd be better at talking about it SO HOPEFULLY HE DOES>.<

Metal, Post Grunge, & Foreign

Also a few things..
1) these three things are COMPLETELY different from each other
2) about half your list doesn't even fit with these descriptions anyhow

No Doubt

Not pop - 3rd wave Ska/rock

Silversun Pickups

Also not pop, but alternative/shoegaze

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Not classic rock - Alternative rock/psychedelic rock

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I agree with pang... some of these artists are not associated with their specifications according to your list. To break down:

Classic Rock

The Red Hot Chili Peppers is an alternative rock band. Ever since their conception they have fused elements rooting from punk, and alt rock is a fusion between traditional rock (and it's variations) and punk. They also haven't had much association to Creedence, Fleetwood Mac, The Beetles, etc. Red Hot Chili Peppers should be under 90's rock.

No Doubt

Ska-punk. Their latest album was more pop oriented but that is mostly Stefani's influence and transition. Their classics are mainly ska-punk.

Silversun Pickups

Another alt rock band with a dream pop transition.

Böhse Onkelz

90's rock... foreign, but still. Also Breaking Benjamin is a rock group, not post grunge or metal. The punk and metal scenes did not come close to a fusion until the early 90's in U.K.

Also... Avenged Sevenfold is more of a rock/punk band than an actual metal band. The modern metal scene mainly deals with alt/nu metal... they've also been more of an influence to hard rock bands.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

^ Yeah same tbh

K-pop-
SNSD
Big Bang
Winner
iKON
BoA
Secret
f(x)
2NE1
SHINee

and last but not least
The Jackson Five

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I totally understand what you guys are saying, but many of these bands are unique in their own specific way, and I am often mislead as to which genre a band entirely belongs to: for example, Led Zeppelin's music contains everything from the sounds of classic rock and heavy metal to infusions of southern blues rock sounds. And to complicate things, when I research bands, sources often have conflicting information. Can't a band with a wide range of music and sounds belong to more than one genre? Artists have been known to start off playing a certain kind of music, and then end playing music of an entirley different kind later on.

Even before you guys could respond, I began to make changes to my list (the one I have on paper) I didn't get to this one in time. My mistake was trying to make this comprehensive list in 10 minutes, let's work past the mistakes and continue with this thread. All good?

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

A few updates:

I'm adding Rush to Classic Rock and Chevelle, Godsmack, and White Zombie to Hard Rock on my list.

Showing 1-5 of 5