ForumsProgramming ForumI need help with this.

9 4672
TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

This topic isn't a straight up programming thread but it has to do with it, please help.

So I got this font which has special characters that I need to use but it doesn't work on Windows instead I get a [] kind of box. There's nothing wrong with the font because it works on Macs (I've tried) so why won't it work on Windows(8)?

Please help me I've been looking for an answer for about a week now and don't know where else to go, I would really appreciate it.

• 9 Replies
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

Did you move the file into your fonts folder? You can also try right clicking on it and click install.

Checking if the font is compatible

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

@weirdlike
The font actually only contains special characters that 'can' be used as a unicode but they key's don't work and characters don't show up. They are in the proper folder and everything, I'm really not sure why it isn't working.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

You can check if the font is actually installed on the system by opening up a typing program like Word and finding it on the font list. If it is not there it might not have been installed correctly or is incompatible.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

I apologize for a late response.

It is indeed part of the font list and the computer acknowledges that it is a font but it the characters do not show up as the characters, they show up as blank boxes.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

What is the file extension?
and
Have you tried double clicking on the file and open up the preview?

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

I again apologize for my late posting. My computer does in fact see it as a font and it does in fact show up on my Unicode list with all the special characters from the font shown but it does not seem to register for some reason when I actually use or try to read it.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

hmm, well I don't think I can offer much more than than

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts\Font settings

check out what is there and try it out... I am out of ideas :/

huwbert2013
huwbert2013
239 posts
Bard

Hey @TheAngelOfWar Have you tried re downloading the font from another site, specifically for windows. The version you have may only work correctly on apple os.
There is a site I use called California Fonts that has 100s of fonts free to use
that I have used a few times.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

Yeah this is a really weird situation for me and I again apologize for my late response.

@weirdlike
I have checked "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts\Font settings" it's actually how I know that my computer does recognize the font. Doesn't work for some reason really have no idea as to why.

@huwbert2013
That is a good point, the font I'm using is a special font as in it's really common by any means to be used so far I've only found one site that has it and that was after looking for a day or two.

Showing 1-9 of 9