ForumsGamesNo Man's Sky

15 3241
ProfessionallyPro
ProfessionallyPro
12 posts
Nomad

Alright, so I'm fairly new to the forums and... guess I wanted to talk about something that I've been hyped about ever since it was brought up at E3.

No Man's Sky

If you haven't heard of this game, I urge you to look it up now and watch the trailers, and then the sparse gameplay that has been uploaded onto youtube. This game, is my dream game, without a doubt. I've always wanted a universal sandbox game that lets me play the game how I want to. Not like minecraft, no. Minecraft was a sandbox game, sure, but it had many limitations.
No Man's Sky? You want to be a highly profitable merchant that travels from station to station? Go for it. Want to be a pirate? Sure why not. Want to be a pacifist? Hey, you can try. Want to be a strict explorer, finding your way across hundreds of thousands of planets documenting alien life forms and fauna? Nothing is stopping you.
Not sure if it's all of this sci-fi hype lately, but I'm overcome by hype for this game. Let me hear your thoughts, please.

• 15 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

To me, it looks a lot like an RPG version of the space stage in Spore. Trading, space ships, exploring, pirates, weird random animals, getting to the center of the galaxy...

But I am definitely hyped for this game too. Ever since I saw for the first time a space ship flying into a planet's atmosphere and later back into space. I am going to have lots of fun flying my space ship around

I have not yet decided what I am going to focus on. I think it will involve a certain amount of exploring for sure, but I also want to get into space dog-fights.

ProfessionallyPro
ProfessionallyPro
12 posts
Nomad

it looks a lot like an RPG version of the space stage in Spore.

Completely agree. Spore is actually the first thing I thought of when Sean Murray said "We all want to get to the center of the galaxy." But I dumped hours into the spore space stage. I don't think this is going to be any different in that case

But I am definitely hyped for this game too. Ever since I saw for the first time a space ship flying into a planet's atmosphere and later back into space.

What did it for me was when Sean drew back his camera, showing the nearly endless amounts of stars and planets that I can explore. Right then I thought "I can explore all of those planets?

I think I'm going to focus on exploration of the planets and slowly making my way towards the center of the universe. My curiosity is peaked about what is there.

thebeast782
thebeast782
63 posts
Nomad

The first thing that i am going to do is try to find &quotlanet E3" Named by one of the developers. I will try and find it.

ProfessionallyPro
ProfessionallyPro
12 posts
Nomad

The first thing that i am going to do is try to find &quotlanet E3" Named by one of the developers. I will try and find it.

Cant forget the E3 fish. @thebeast782

Harcokilly
Harcokilly
26 posts
Nomad

The game itself is ALL I wanted about space video game, Can't wait to finally play it.
I've been woundering when there will be something spacy for me, cause Elide Dangerous is just flight simulation in space and Im not actually about driving simulations.

Gosh, Im so hyped about this game!

ProfessionallyPro
ProfessionallyPro
12 posts
Nomad

The game itself is ALL I wanted about space video game, Can't wait to finally play it

Exactly my thoughts there.

I've been woundering when there will be something spacy for me, cause Elide Dangerous is just flight simulation in space and Im not actually about driving simulations.

Elite Dangerous was a good play, but, got pretty boring once you got farther into it. It had so much potential, too.

Gosh, Im so hyped about this game!

We are the few of many.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

Yo, this game. Pretty dank.

Demonakinale
Demonakinale
38 posts
Templar

The game is certainly ambitious and has the potential to be one of the greatest sci-fi games of all time if excellently executed. But the ambition seems too great.

It advertises itself as having billions of planets and though most likely true, there are only so many assets created by the studio that the randomisation process can take from.

But Hello Games needs to be applauded for their effort on No Man's Sky as it is shaping into a great experience since its announcement at Spike's VGX in 2013.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

The game is certainly ambitious

Hello Games' ambition is almost out of this roof, and not to mention, the perfect timing with multiple sci-fi major motion pictures releasing before it does (i.e: Star Wars, The Martion)

there are only so many assets created by the studio that the randomisation process can take from.

I believe in one of their videos, they showed how they could have a virtually endless amount of random assets. The artists, moreover, the modellers, are working day in and day out with new models and parts. The software that they run their work through cuts things up, changes values, adds different functions or lengths of structure. I feel that we could possibly have a nearly unlimited amount of procedurally generated models in the game, and that's got me pretty excited.

But Hello Games needs to be applauded for their effort on No Man's Sky as it is shaping into a great experience since its announcement at Spike's VGX in 2013.

I agree with you completely. Sean Murray admitted himself that they were not ready for the reaction they got at VGX 2013. And the hype was almost too much for them apparently. And then, of course, they had to go through their office being flooded in the middle of game development. Imagine how stressful that would have been for the workers.

Demonakinale
Demonakinale
38 posts
Templar

they could have a virtually endless amount of random assets

I'm stuck in the stone age, I cannot imagine that in my mind; It seems impossible to me. However if Hello Games succeeds, it will be a technical masterpiece.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I believe in one of their videos, they showed how they could have a virtually endless amount of random assets.

I suppose this is the video you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBCC1PCf84
rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

I suppose this is the video you mean:

Yep, exactly the one. Thanks @HahiHa !

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

@pyrhus

if there is no ultimate goal

There is an ultimate goal. The ultimate goal (as explained by Sean Murray the game's leading developer) is to get to the center of the universe, and find what is there.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

You will also have to build your hyper-drive first, and upgrade it, to move reasonably fast. Another similarity to Spore.

Exploring planets can be done for the sake of exploration, but it is also a means to gain funds by discovering new species.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

I will either be a biologist kinda guy that just explores everything and documents everything or I will be a merchant.Always loved to be the diplomatic guy that just doesn't get into trouble but is the richest person in the solar system.

Star Wars has piqued my thirst for space blood... I will be a pirate. Muahaha. Watch out for me Mr. Diplomatic. :P

@Janmega03

Showing 1-15 of 15