ForumsWEPRThe Regressive Left

35 19801
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

*Note: the title is kinda misleading, but I view &quotrogressives" ironically regressive. Also, I don't usually use the Left-Right spectrum bs. I use the Authoritarian-Libertarian chart most of the time.

What do guys thing of so-called &quotrogressives" (AKA SJWs)? For me, I view them as a threat. I saw people losing their jobs and getting socially castrated due to just disagreeing with them. Also, the mainstream media champions them as heroes/heroines. Why treat them as such?! They are bullies for crying out loud! Anyway, what do you think about them?

• 35 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Too much generalisation in my opinion...There are policies and politicians that are laudable on both sides of the aisles, just the same way there are bad eggs on both sides.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Too much generalisation in my opinion...There are policies and politicians that are laudable on both sides of the aisles, just the same way there are bad eggs on both sides.

To clarify, the opinion I posted is just an example. I am asking what do you think of these &quotrogressives".

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Not very specific opening discussion, can't comment without knowing the details. What issues did it relate to? Who did it involve? Was there really bullying?

There is nothing inherently evil about the values and ideas that SJWs champion. If we take a SJW to stand for the stereotype of a person who loudly promotes a socially progressive idea aggressively just to get attention and promote his reputation, then probably not. But more importantly, the ideas behind them are generally agreeable when taken in moderation.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

They are the result of losing sight of what the goal of the ideals you stand for are. I'm proud to be a liberal. I want to live in a free and tolerant society. Some people who ostensibly stand for the same thing have gotten so obsessed with the details have ended up becoming the same intolerant irrational lunatics they sought to fight against. All ideologies have their extremists, and extremists get attention. Oh, and then there's the ones who purport to be progressive in order to say some really intolerant and hateful things. TERFs, for example.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

But more importantly, the ideas behind them are generally agreeable when taken in moderation.

Like demonizing people just because of their skin color? Got it!

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Like demonizing people just because of their skin color? Got it!

Er... that's an extremist right wing idea.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Like feminism, equality, anti-discrimination.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Like feminism, equality, anti-discrimination.

I haven't observed that from them AT ALL.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Well perhaps then an article on what kind of person you are talking about would be good. Because at the moment it seems to encompass a very narrow range.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-ruling-in-twitter-harassment-trial-could-have-enormous-fallout-for-free-speech

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Like I said, such people are bullies. But that takes nothing away from their ideas, whether they genuinely believed in them or not. Most people are transient, ideas are not. it would also be wrong to paint an entire group of people with the same brush.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

One thing I would like to note is being a "social justice warrior" isn't the same as being a progressive. Using wiki.

"Progressivism is a broad philosophy based on the Idea of Progress, which asserts that advancement in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to improve the human condition."

""Social Justice Warrior", commonly abbreviated as "SJW", is a pejorative term for a person expressing or promoting socially progressive views, particularly relating to social liberalism, political correctness or feminism. The accusation of being an SJW implies that a person is engaging in putatively disingenuous social justice arguments or activism to raise their personal reputation."

brickbeard
brickbeard
520 posts
Farmer

The things is that racism is got nothing to do with right wing and that feminism is nothing to do with equality but misandry.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Like I said, such people are bullies. But that takes nothing away from their ideas, whether they genuinely believed in them or not. Most people are transient, ideas are not. it would also be wrong to paint an entire group of people with the same brush.

Look at what they've done, not on their ideas! Do you want to lose your right to speak up? The new ones tend to police speech on social networking sites like Twitter. They're a mostly homogeneous group.

Note: So far, the only idea that I really criticize about them is Social Justice. It is essentially equivalent to coveting. I find most extremists laughable, but progressives... No!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm not saying SJWs are a nice bunch of people; I'm only stating that the ideas that they supposedly support, are good. It is important that SJWs aren't establishing themselves and intimidating everyone else, and that the court has sided against them. But there is nothing bad about the progressive ideas they support.(feminism in the example provided.) This should not be an excuse to discard progressive ideas.

As Mage pointed out, SJWs aren't how most of the left or progressives behave, and tainting them all with the same brush has no basis.

Showing 1-15 of 35