ForumsArt, Music, and WritingJeffy's drawings

4 6014
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

I've decided to post some of my recent (and older) drawings here for...criticism.

I'd like you to point out everything you think is wrong with the drawings. Everything...except the textures, because their faults are obvious. A rating would be nice as well...

1st drawing. Sort of inspired by one of the drawings from the Hands of War 2 prologue. Just less people, because I'm lazy:

http://i.imgur.com/R1mGkaL.jpg

Click here for better quality

2nd drawing(s). 2 Variations of lighting around a tree:

http://i.imgur.com/MGhtwAj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YEim3HE.jpg

• 4 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

This makes me wish I can gain artistic drawing abilites from stabbing myself with art supplies. That has proven to be impossible as I have tried many times.

If you couldn't tell, I'm complimenting your art.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

A late reply, but thanks for the compliment. I actually prefer to stab myself with cornerless sheets of paper. Tends to work 50% of the time.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I'm here to criticize a month after this thread was started because I think I talked to you once and you seemed decent.

Okay so the first one is pretty good, but it can definitely be improved. The lighting is nice, but the sun would shine differently on those three buildings in the back, not be all part of one illumination shape. Also, perspective is a thing that exists, so those houses on the left and right should have bottom lines that converge at an invisible point. The windows bother me the most tbh because I've never seen windows like that outside of minecraft. Unless something with three distinct diagonal stripes of light are reflecting off them, they're likely never going to look like that. Here, it'd probably be best to leave them dark with a little gray to show they're reflecting the surroundings. Also, there should be some shadows on the ground. Not necessarily super dark shadows, but diffuse sunlight will make some places brighter than others. The gradients are a decent idea if you're not good at shading, but not all light is like that. Also, since it looks like all the houses have overhanging roofs, the house in the back should have a shadow where that highlight is, since light isn't coming from the roof's overhanging piece. The guy in the blue cloak sticks out the most. To get the shape of how a cloak like that would go, you should probably look up a reference or something. Searching "hooded cloak ref" worked pretty well for me. Also there should be wrinkles on his clothes and probably different lighting, otherwise he just looks like a cardboard cutout. I really crave pizza right now.

The lighting on the trees are great. My only complaint is that even though the common stereotype of trees are basically sticks with a ball of leaves on top, the majority of trees don't actually look like that. Also those scribbles on the green are probably supposed to be leaves, but it doesn't look like much. Can I give you advice on this too? Well, no, because I'm terrible at lighting and drawing trees.

anyway here's a random block of advice from another person who sometimes draws things have a nice day

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Good submissions...

Showing 1-4 of 4