ForumsWEPR[Are We Screwed Yet?] 2016 US Presidential Election

260 99692
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I figured let's create a master thread for the world event of the year. After all, who won't be watching people jockey viciously for the position of most powerful person in the world?

As of now the situation is as thus:

Republican - Trump running ahead of the pack surprisingly.
Democrat - Less clear, Clinton and Sanders are still duking it out, though Clinton has many more super-delegates to her name.

So this is a thread to post about anything related to the race. Have a favourite candidate to plump for? Feel the system is biased? Angry at the political establishment? Post it here. Hopefully we can get more discussion going when things get heated up!

Personally of all the candidates, I like Clinton the most, and failing that, Trump. Of course, like is a very subjective and relative word.

-Latest-

Republican
Trump: 329
Cruz:231
Rubio: 110
Kasich: 25
Carson: Dropped out

Democrat

Counting Super Delegates
Clinton: 1066
Sanders: 432

• 260 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Ah ffs, he wants to pull out of the TPP.

Enjoy isolationism whilst it lasts America! History has always taught us that that never works out well.

I honestly don't mind if politicians mingle with company bosses and get close to Wall Street, so long as they do a good job at the office.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Here's already one bad thing about el presidente Trumpissimo.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/11/trump-hires-two-net-neutrality-opponents-to-oversee-fcc-transition/

He's already buddy buddy with corporate weasels who want to make even more money off the Internet.

Huh, maybe Trump won't be quite as bad as I imagined. Still incredibly bad, just not as bad.

Net neutrality is a solution to a nonexistent problem. People love the idea of "No censorship! No unfair pandering! We can't trust private corporations!" But, do you really want the same government responsible for censoring Cable T.V. and radio to have their hands on the internet? They're already violating our rights by spying on us.

We didn't have any issues that called for net neutrality. Without net neutrality, internet providers will be free to offer slower but cheaper internet to people who don't require such high speeds. When you say "Hey, stop charging people more for faster internet!", do you honestly think internet providers are going to give everyone their fastest options for their cheapest rates?

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

But, do you really want the same government responsible for censoring Cable T.V. and radio to have their hands on the internet?
Do you actually believe they have yet to do so?

They're already violating our rights by spying on us.
Really? Name one.

When you say "Hey, stop charging people more for faster internet!", do you honestly think internet providers are going to give everyone their fastest options for their cheapest rates?
Do you actually believe that anyone here would have any reason at all to say such a ridiculous thing? Are you sure you even understand what net neutrality means?
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Well I thought it was going to be Hillary for sure. In fact, a guy at my work won $10,000 in a 1:10 odds bet or whatever when Trump won. (Not kidding)
I know Trump ain't no saint, but I'm glad that we're not going to have four years of a left wing crazy witch hating on America and messing up the works. I'd rather watch Trump make a fool out of himself instead. It'll be the Bush administration on steroids.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Just keeps going downhill with his Cabinet choices.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

In 2 weeks dictator Trumpsky and Vladimir Pukin will be running the US government.

Anyone scared yet?

mamibo
mamibo
686 posts
Scribe

I wanna clarify something.

Trump is meh.
He's a criminal, kinda.

But don't you people understand that Hilary would mean war with Russia? And by that I mean WW3? Would you rather have another heavy bloodshed for many years rather than attempting to make friends with your so loathed Russians?
I'm sick of hearing "Putin is a thug" "Russia is trying to dominate the world" etc.
No he isn't. No we arn't.

I voted for mr. Putin, okay?
Say what you want about the people YOU elect, but leave our President-Tsar to ourselves!

And this "are we screwed yet" in the thread name. No, you're not screwed.
Hilary would drag us into a war which we would win and then you would be screwed.

It's so easy for you to say "should've picked Clinton...". You're not soldiers. I am.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Hillary would have meant confrontation with Russia, certainly, but I don't think it would have meant actual war. I know many people say that, but to my non-expert ears it all sounds overly dramatic.

Now, Putin is a completely different cup of tea. I have no intention to discuss this in detail, and I respect you and your country at least as much as I do Americans and America. But Putin does not have a clean vest. Trump is a moron and a pathological egomaniac, and I would not be surprised to hear of any illicit activities on his part. But unlike Putin he has not assassinated political rivals or activists yet.

And to be perfectly honest, when Putin says that Hillary would have meant war, to me it sounds almost like a threat. She would have been very strict with Russia in the diplomatic sense, but in my opinion she would not have been the one to actually declare the war.

mamibo
mamibo
686 posts
Scribe

But unlike Putin he has not assassinated political rivals or activists yet.

Firs of all, nonsense. Info war. Propaganda. No proof.

Second of all, so what if he did? XD It's politics, man!
Let me tell you something so you would understand Russia better: we might pretend to be a modern democratic society, but most of us are tsarists to the bone. Even if you somehow managed to proove the false (or not so false) facts of Putin assassinating his rivals (who do you mean by that, btw?), the people would just be like, "so what? Those people were against our president, our motherland, etc. Good they were disposed of".
I'm not saying killing people is good, but neither is politics. Becaause politics means killing people.
Because if we don't kill (dispose of) traitors and spies, we're gonna have more nineties. I was born in the nineties, slightly after the fall of USSR. It was hell. I still carry a knife around.

And let us be quite earnest. Philosophically, democrasy is not our cup of tea. Capitalism is neither. We just have to play by the rules of the outer world so that we don't get killed.

She would have been very strict with Russia in the diplomatic sense, but in my opinion she would not have been the one to actually declare the war.

Why be strict with Russia in the first place? Because we took over Crimea so that Nato wouldn't build their warbases there and take over the black sea? Don't you think Nato has enough warbases already?
We just don't want you to take over the world.
You're not chatting in russian with me, huh? Why do you think it is the other way around?
And why do we have more dollars than gold in our country's stash?
West is behind the fall of the great USSR, that's why, and the crisis in Ukraine too.
Before you disagree, listen to their losungs, "Ukraine is Europe" style.

But we should certainly stop this quarrel before it starts.

Our great countries are at war by idea, and always will be, like dream and reality, reason and intuition, earth and sky.

And although earth and sky are so different, they coexist, interact, and look beautiful together.
Maybe Russia and America can as well?

But what I wanted to say was. No matter who declares the war. What matters is when the war starts, I get an AK47 and am sent to kill your friends and neighbours. You dig it? Me not.

I'd rather get a bottle of wine and have a party to celebrate a common victory of ours. Like, against terrorism. Or illnesses. Or something generally more worthy of defeating than innocent people...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Info war. Propaganda. No proof.

Oh, there's lots of that on Russia's side, too. Don't be a fool and think that only everyone else is doing that
As for proof, you just gave the best reason why arguing about the evidence is in vain - many wouldn't care even if it was officially proven. Officiously, we know he did it. Then again, he's an ex-KGB agent, so why wouldn't he.

But we should certainly stop this quarrel before it starts.

Right. I was not trying to defend war or conflicts. I don't like that either. All I'm saying is, I don't like Putin and I'm afraid of what his course of action might bring about. I also don't like Trump, and have never been the biggest fan of Hillary, either. I might even think twice before defending the actions of the NATO, and I'm European. And I'd certainly prefer to have a bottle of wine with you than fight you But that doesn't prevent me of having my own opinion on politicians and disagreeing with you on Putin.
mamibo
mamibo
686 posts
Scribe

Everyone is doing propaganda, sure.
Also, everyone is killing political enemies.
Putin is the Tsar. Nobody likes him, except his people, it means he's a good one.
BTW, I forgot you were from Switzerland, sorry. The whole western world just seems pretty united to us.

And I'd certainly prefer to have a bottle of wine with you
Sooner or later we will!
Cheers, bro!
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Trump is meh.
He's a criminal, kinda.

I agree with you on many points.

First of all, the Republicans are the ones who put us all in this mess.

Republicans are greedy insecure people. They are obsessed with policing the World because they are scared of anything foreign.

The reason why Trump has won is because he understood that if you bully a Republican, he will coward eventually and run.
If you dangle some money in front of his nose, he'll be easy to corrupt.

Why do you think most rich people are backing this party of cowards?

The Republican party has never done anything good for the American people.

Wants some proofs?

Citizen united was created by rich unpatriotic parasites in order to buy the elections and make sure the Republican party would win.

The crooked drug companies pushed a bill that allowed them to charge as much money as they want for medications that people need in order to live (they have to pay through their nose or die). Making 200, 300% profit is not enough for the criminals who own these businesses, but making 1000, 2000% is better.

Then the crooked Insurance companies realized they will lose profit by insuring people with pre-existing conditions and by paying for the ridiculously high cost of medications so they raise the prices constantly, putting American people in jeopardy.

Then there's this terrorist organization (The NRA) supported by the gun factory owners (greedy criminals as well) whose purpose is to bully the spineless Republicans in Congress in order to prevent the Democrats from putting in place gun control rules that would stop insane people from killing innocent people all the time. Regulations means less money for the greedy unpatriotic gun factory owners.

So every time the Democrats are in power, they try to repair the damage caused by the Republicans around the World.

Barrack Obama actually tried to help the American people by creating Obamacare which prevented the crooked Insurance companies from refusing to insure some people and control the cost of being insured. Of course, the greedy criminals who own these businesses didn't like the fact that they couldn't rob and abuse their customers so they started a propaganda to discredit it.

Now that the party of traitor is back in power, they feel confident that they can destroy all the good thing that the Democrats have done to help the American people.

So that's a simplified explanation of how things work in America.
Believe me, it's more complicated than that.

BTW, the only reason why Trump likes Putin is because he has some business interests in doing so.
Trump is a selfish, greedy sociopath who's only goal is to be richer and feel important.

Once Putin disagree with Trump, things will get bad quickly.

mamibo
mamibo
686 posts
Scribe

That's a pretty indepth analysis of the situation you got here, @SSTG.

I never said Trump was our ally, either.
My only point was the
Hilary - war - me with rifle
chain of events.
It didn't happen, and that's good. Call my analysis shallow (I'm young and foolish, after all, two and a half times younger than you), but what horrors can Trump bring that would be worse than descendants of the "Red Army" killing people you love? Hilary would mean war, you cannot deny that.
Be she a democrat, republican or communist, for that matter.

When I say I am a soldier, it is no joke. Although I have no training (yet, I am planning on becoming a sergeant, or, if I'm lucky, a junior leutenant) I already have a "military ticket" that I can use whenever I want, and which becomes obligatory at times of war, or if you are receiving no education. I have a picture of it on "faces of AG".
Using the ticket gives you a year of millitary life, free food and housing in barracks, and simple training needed to be a soldier.
Every young man (18-29) in Russia, with rare exceptions, is a soldier and either has this ticket, or has an upgraded version for completing the one year.
Some universities, like mine, provide "elite" training, making you an officer or sergeant WHILE you're studying what you're studying (linguistics in my case)

And we've had this system since the October revolution! Almost a hundred years of this practise.

Why so millitary minded, you ask?
You know the answer yourself.

(EDIT:I mean USA in here)
Your country has never been in a real war. I know it sounds offensive, but you have to understand. You never had Nazis in YOUR villages, locking people up in a freakin' church and burning them alive. You never had your cities blockaded and starving FOR YEARS. You know what they ate in there? You don't want to. And I was born in the great Leningrad. My grandmother was one of its protectors during the blockade.
We know the fear of the dreded foe standing by the Kremlin walls. And we know the primal joy of shooting their retreating backs.
You did fight Nazis, yes.
BUT WHERE THE ~ WERE YOU IN 1941?
You joined the war when we had won it already.

Whenever you fight a war, you're out there somewhere. And questionably legit is your presense in those places.

Where were we? Oh, yes, so, knowing the experience of history, I don't want another war.

This is why Trump is meh, but not horrible.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Your country has never been in a real war. I know it sounds offensive, but you have to understand. You never had Nazis in YOUR villages, locking people up in a freakin' church and burning them alive. You never had your cities blockaded and starving FOR YEARS. You know what they ate in there? You don't want to. And I was born in the great Leningrad. My grandmother was one of its protectors during the blockade.

People from Leningrad were VERY brave and they played a big part in the downfall of the Nazis.

BTW,I'm from Canada but I became a US citizen a couple years ago.

I don't like Putin because of his indirect role in the US elections result but I understand why he did it.

I don't dislike Russians, I think they suffered a lot of hardship but they managed to somehow survive it and that makes them amazing.

My biggest concern is the erosion of our democracy because of the abuses by the Republican party.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

[...] but what horrors can Trump bring that would be worse than descendants of the "Red Army" killing people you love?
Well ...

http://imgur.com/kJlTcWh.png

I exaggurate only slightly.

Hilary would mean war, you cannot deny that.
Really, now? I'd like to point out that the very notion of such a war is absolute drivel. Hilary is no genious; she entered politics, after all. She is absolutely not, however, a raving lunatic with no understanding of cause and effect. Trump has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he either completely disregards or fails to comprehend basic diplomacy. In what sense, pray tell, is he actually safer than a former secretary of state?

Your country has never been in a real war. I know it sounds offensive, but you have to understand. You never had Nazis in YOUR villages, locking people up in a freakin' church and burning them alive. You never had your cities blockaded and starving FOR YEARS.
So? You seem to be labouring under the misapprehention that an informed opinion must be based on personal experience.
Showing 91-105 of 260