ForumsWEPR[Are We Screwed Yet?] 2016 US Presidential Election

260 99689
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I figured let's create a master thread for the world event of the year. After all, who won't be watching people jockey viciously for the position of most powerful person in the world?

As of now the situation is as thus:

Republican - Trump running ahead of the pack surprisingly.
Democrat - Less clear, Clinton and Sanders are still duking it out, though Clinton has many more super-delegates to her name.

So this is a thread to post about anything related to the race. Have a favourite candidate to plump for? Feel the system is biased? Angry at the political establishment? Post it here. Hopefully we can get more discussion going when things get heated up!

Personally of all the candidates, I like Clinton the most, and failing that, Trump. Of course, like is a very subjective and relative word.

-Latest-

Republican
Trump: 329
Cruz:231
Rubio: 110
Kasich: 25
Carson: Dropped out

Democrat

Counting Super Delegates
Clinton: 1066
Sanders: 432

• 260 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

And perhaps, NATO won't attack us.

And if so, I won't have to die fighting other inocent people from other countries. That is a good thing when you don't have to die, right? And more so, kill.

That wasn't even on the table. No one other than Trump would be ignorant and overconfident enough to even bring it to the table.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

It seems suspicious to me that he started gaining momentum in practically all the swing states.
There must have been some cheating and this maggot James Comey and that Assange SOB didn't help either.

When the CIA get their hand on him, I volunteer for the job of interrogating, waterboarding and whatever else they need to do to him, I'll do it for free.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

No, it's just the Shy Tory effect. Many people wouldn't have wanted to admit they'll vote for Trump when they were polled. Alot of the swing states that were predicted in her firewall weren't actually "safe", they were within the margin of polling error. Mnay of the swing states were won by tiny margins as well.

The odd thing was how Comey just came out of nowhere, announced a new probe, then packed up a week later. Damaged her for sure.

Probably have to accept the results so long as no voter fraud was found. Democracy after all. Too bad for those who could vote but didn't, and are now upset.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

At least my conscience is clear, I didn't vote for this racist demagogic human waste.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Haha, you moved to Canada didn't you?

I might want to go on exchange there some day.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Haha, you moved to Canada didn't you?

Not yet but I'm hoping to do so eventually before the US becomes a full dictatorship.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Good luck!

Though I do think some of the fears are overplayed and overexaggerated. We feared for a dictatorship when Bush was re-elected, when Reagan was around, etc etc, but so far it has been okay.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Assange SOB

Τhis is the second time you speak less than fondly about Assange and, like Snowden, he is a controversial matter. I do not hold much knowledge about him, I only know he is the (co-?)founder of Wikileaks and has been honored with some journalism prizes, as well as the fact that he was blocked in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London by the police for months. Lastly, I know he revealed some sensitive material to the public that certainly damaged Clinton's reputation but I have no idea about the credibility of his sources. What is it that really makes you so upset about him?

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

I hate Trump, but I guess the American people shouldn't be soooooo afraid of the elections, I don't think the U.S.A. is going to bankrupt and I guess we are exaggerating a little

I don't know if I should say this, but here in Brazil, we survived voting for a bad president SEVEN times in a row (1989, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014), most if not all of those presidents were corrupted, and almost all of them caused a crisis here, so, I guess the U.S.A. is going to survive Trump for 4 years (sorry if I sounded rude)

And also, to tell you the truth, I guess having only 2 parties is better than having too many parties, I live in a country with 35 parties

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Assange released hacked Clinton emails which, whilst embarrassing, didn't show her doing anything wrong.

He released little on Trump, claiming he had nothing on them. Democrats are saying that his so-called emphasis on freedom of information is little more than a thinly veiled attempt at influencing the election, especially since he quite publicly says he doesn't like Clinton.

The Clinton campaign is saying that the emails were hacked from inside Russia, and that the Russian government hacked her emails in order to influence the elections.

That's the narrative, and that's the reason why alot of Democrats are angry at Assange.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The US has more than 2 parties. It has quite a number actually, just that only two major ones practically have control of the government on all levels. Three smaller parties if you want to count the Greens, Libertarians and Constitution party supporters.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Hmm, I did research it a bit (a bit meaning reading into the relative wikipedia article) and indeed it appears that WikiLeaks took a radical approach in the disclosure of sensitive info. They dumped tons of personal information about donors and opinionated emails without any attempt to cover up the sensitive and private part from what I read. It indeed appears that informing the public is very different than what WikiLeaks did.

As for the claim that 'Russia' is behind it, some analysts, experts and even Russian investigative journalists do point out that Russia could be involved but as usual there is no proof. And Assange did indeed admit to not liking Clinton but has said that he does not like Trump either in some occasions. His revelation of tons of private emails is a bit troubling and does bring his true motives into question but I do not think he would have anything to gain from associating himself with Russia. Maybe he did it just to undermine Clinton indeed, maybe his motives are quite low.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Lastly, I know he revealed some sensitive material to the public that certainly damaged Clinton's reputation but I have no idea about the credibility of his sources. What is it that really makes you so upset about him?

He greatly contributed in undermining Clinton.
Now as a result, the spineless Republican in Congress will be too afraid to stand up to the NRA, the pharmaceutical mafia and the insurance cartel.

Anyone who has pre-existing condition won't be protected against the abuse that will ensue once Obamacare is destroyed.
Obama's entire legacy will be erased by these racists.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Now as a result, the spineless Republican in Congress will be too afraid to stand up to the NRA, the pharmaceutical mafia and the insurance cartel.

Anyone who has pre-existing condition won't be protected against the abuse that will ensue once Obamacare is destroyed.
Obama's entire legacy will be erased by these racists

Τhat may be one of the few negative outcomes predicted that will probably happen I think. As nicho pointed out, Trump has toned down his rhetoric, backtracked and retracted a lot of his statements and altered some others but in the end I believe 'the end of the world' and calling Trump 'Hitler' is a bit of an overexaggeration.

However we cannot deny that Trump will probably discard the policies enacted by his predecessor, even the popular ones. Heck he is openly against Gay Marriage, what if it becomes illegal again? even if it is just in some states, it is a loss for personal freedom. That is the problem with power changing hands between 2 parties...each one will take down the policies of the other one -_- In the long run this leads to nothing productive.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Check the gas prices shoot up went they're in power.

The recent drop in prices was not due to Obama, but to OPEC forcing overproduction to flood the market and put alternative fuel methods, such as fracking, out of business early because they're too expensive by comparison.

How much he really can do, considering the Paris climate treaty is already signed, I do not know, but I'm still worried.

He said he's going to be unpredictable, so that might be just a piece of paper.

And perhaps, NATO won't attack us.

NATO won't do anything to Russia ever. Remember Obama's zero tolerance stance on chemical weapons in Syria? Nothing happened.

And voter turnout as usual, isn't very high.

Hillary's campaign and liberal media have been pushing that their polls show her consistently up by 3-8 points over Trump since May. This likely deterred a lot of potential voters because "she's guaranteed to win anyway" instead of panicking because "she might lose".

No, it's just the Shy Tory effect. Many people wouldn't have wanted to admit they'll vote for Trump when they were polled.

If you had a Trump sign in your yard, you could expect death threats. I've never seen anyone with a Hillary sign, so I can't speak for that side.

The odd thing was how Comey just came out of nowhere, announced a new probe, then packed up a week later. Damaged her for sure.

Most people made their minds up months ago. This changed nothing. The mudslinging on both sides became stale early. Trump's side talked about her emails, while Hillary's side talked about awful stuff Trump said. After a year of both sides sticking with similar talking points, people toned it out because nothing was really surprising. Trump's horrible, Hillary's corrupt, blah blah blah. They never really showed themselves as something likable, just "at least I'm not the other one".

Assange released hacked Clinton emails which, whilst embarrassing, didn't show her doing anything wrong.

"Wrong" is relative. It didn't show anything truly incriminating, but it did show some level of collusion between Hillary's campaign, the DNC, and media outlets, particularly during the primary against Bernie.

He released little on Trump, claiming he had nothing on them.

Considering all of the stuff Trump says willingly, it's not surprising. He's literally been in the spotlight for 30+ years. All of his faults are public.
Showing 46-60 of 260