ForumsWEPR[Are We Screwed Yet?] 2016 US Presidential Election

260 99686
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I figured let's create a master thread for the world event of the year. After all, who won't be watching people jockey viciously for the position of most powerful person in the world?

As of now the situation is as thus:

Republican - Trump running ahead of the pack surprisingly.
Democrat - Less clear, Clinton and Sanders are still duking it out, though Clinton has many more super-delegates to her name.

So this is a thread to post about anything related to the race. Have a favourite candidate to plump for? Feel the system is biased? Angry at the political establishment? Post it here. Hopefully we can get more discussion going when things get heated up!

Personally of all the candidates, I like Clinton the most, and failing that, Trump. Of course, like is a very subjective and relative word.

-Latest-

Republican
Trump: 329
Cruz:231
Rubio: 110
Kasich: 25
Carson: Dropped out

Democrat

Counting Super Delegates
Clinton: 1066
Sanders: 432

• 260 Replies
helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

What I don't really get about the US voting system is why it isn't direct. Is there any reason for that except that the Democrats and the Republicans are afraid of a third-party President? After all, the President is supposed to be the leader of all the US citizens. Direct elections would make more sense, I think. Or could someone explain the advantages of this system to me?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Has anyone watched the news lately?

People think the elections were rigged and are rejecting this criminal for president.
What do you think?
Is it just the beginning of the Trump chaos?
Is he going to prove the World that he is a dictator and have the cops bring violence to the protesters?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Is it just the beginning of the Trump chaos?

No. As a matter of a fact I doubt there'll be any sort of chaos following his election.

Is he going to prove the World that he is a dictator and have the cops bring violence to the protesters?

Nope

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Nah, the whole "rigged" storyline comes out after every election.

As I recall, when Obama was reelected, people were calling for secession of states that did not go his way.

Considering all of the stuff Trump says willingly, it's not surprising. He's literally been in the spotlight for 30+ years. All of his faults are public.

Yes, but for all we know, there was dirt in his campaign dealings that no one knew about. Clinton's campaign on the other hand, was open for most to see due to the hack.

Most people made their minds up months ago. This changed nothing. The mudslinging on both sides became stale early. Trump's side talked about her emails, while Hillary's side talked about awful stuff Trump said.

Whilst many people made up their minds early, there were still lots of independant voters left as usual. And for all we know, the email scandal, or the very fact that she was portrayed negatively in any way just a few days before the election, could very well have impacted her final standing amongst independants. I think it's quite natural to vote against her if all you hear in the last few days is nasty stuff about her, if you were flip flopping.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Funny, Obama recognized that the pipeline protests are increasing, and his plan is to "wait it out" while his militarized police beat on people. Does that make him any better?

Yes, but for all we know, there was dirt in his campaign dealings that no one knew about.

He poured a ton of his own money into it. Any other hefty donors are already public information. I'm sure a lot of things the RNC said in private were shocked reactions that he was doing well, and things other candidates said about him publicly, nothing new. They weren't shy about their initial dislike of him, but clearly that didn't hold him back. There wasn't the feeling of "we need [this specific candidate] to win" like there was on the DNC side. The RNC was accepting of whoever got the most votes and attention because they knew they needed the momentum to challenge Hillary.

And for all we know, the email scandal, or the very fact that she was portrayed negatively in any way just a few days before the election, could very well have impacted her final standing amongst independants.

As if "GRAB THEM BY THE *****" didn't hurt Trump's final standing. If anyone cared what the recently reviewed emails said, they cared about the first batch much more (the ones that actually contained sensitive classified information and put national security at risk) and made up their minds back then. If they didn't care about the first batch, why would they care about the ones that were innocuous? If national security wasn't their concern, all they hear is "more emails blah blah blah". That doesn't sway votes.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Since this joke of a man will be the next president, the Democrats in Senate will have to be vigilant because you can be sure that the Nazis from Bright Bart will try to manipulated him into passing racist bills.

Trump probably has half the I.Q. of George W. Bush, so he'll be easy to manipulate by the racists, xenophobes, and his homophobic and anti women's right VP Pence.

For those who didn't vote for this regime will have a hard time seeing a noble and respectful man such as President Obama be replaced by a grotesque foul mouthed low life pathetic clown.

Maybe in two years from now people will realize their mistake and wipe out this party of losers who seems to always side with the bullies instead of standing up to them in order to protect the American people and respect the Constitution.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here's what will happen when the Trump regime gets in office.

Inside trading will still go on.

Background checks for people buying guns will never happen so that
sexually frustrated twenty-something yo freaks can still go on killing sprees and terrorists will
still be able to gather guns for their next attack on innocent people.

Citizen United (criminal organization) will still buy elections.

More measures will be implemented to make voting for minority groups even harder.

Traitors who moved their factories to China will still get tax breaks.

Obamacare will be killed off so that poor people who finally had a bit of relief will end up with
no insurance again.

Fat pigs in Congress will give each other raises even though some of them sleep on the job or don't even bother to show up for work.

More right wing bigots will be elected to the Supreme Court, making the concept of checks and balances useless.

More money will be unnecessarily spent on the military.

Education funds will be slashed even more because less educated people are easier to manipulate.

To sum it up, nothing will change.

Oh, except maybe that Trump will wage vendetta on those who hurt his feelings (poor little sensitive man).

Feel free to add more if you think I forgot something.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

As if "GRAB THEM BY THE *****" didn't hurt Trump's final standing. If anyone cared what the recently reviewed emails said, they cared about the first batch much more (the ones that actually contained sensitive classified information and put national security at risk) and made up their minds back then. If they didn't care about the first batch, why would they care about the ones that were innocuous? If national security wasn't their concern, all they hear is "more emails blah blah blah". That doesn't sway votes.

Well, my point was that any negative attention of any kind to a candidate in the closing days of the election would leave a lingering negative image in any last minute flip floppers. It's not as if everyone already made up their minds - The polls did show a dip noticeably in her support after the last probe, even taking into account polling error.

There wasn't the feeling of "we need [this specific candidate] to win" like there was on the DNC side. The RNC was accepting of whoever got the most votes and attention because they knew they needed the momentum to challenge Hillary.

Of course. But there was a very noticeable lack of Trump related information released by Assange, as compared to Clinton. Hence the accusations that it was a Russian hack, that Assange was not neutral, and the bitter aftertaste in the mouth of Clinton supporters.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Of course. But there was a very noticeable lack of Trump related information released by Assange, as compared to Clinton. Hence the accusations that it was a Russian hack, that Assange was not neutral, and the bitter aftertaste in the mouth of Clinton supporters.

There are more protesters out in the streets, they are genuinely scared of this man, the FBI, and the thought that foreign countries can interfere in US elections is a scary prospect.

It'll take a while for people to accept what happened and digest it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

My friend is afraid for his girlfriend living in America cause she's Asian. Not sure if that fear is legitimate or not.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Hmm nicho, it may be quite legitimate. Has anybody been to the social media yet? It sounds bad. Here is a collection of tweets from Day 1 since Trump's election. Just day 1. Not even taken office, nothing

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

He poured a ton of his own money into it.
No. He poured a ton of other people's money into it and pretended it came from somewhere else, much like he does with his business expenses.

Feel free to add more if you think I forgot something.
The first amendment would almost certainly be one of his first targets for subversion, as would the fourteenth and fifteenth, although they are generally more secure against tampering. The wealthy elite will probably gain more tax exemptions through bombast and misinformation. The national debt will be trivialized, potentially souring all trade relations and destroying the U.S. credit rating. Any part of government established via executive order, such as the EPA, might cease to exist entirely. Also, we might find a crumbling hideous feeble excuse for a wall across parts of the southern border.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Hmm nicho, it may be quite legitimate. Has anybody been to the social media yet? It sounds bad. Here is a collection of tweets from Day 1 since Trump's election. Just day 1. Not even taken office, nothing

Well, there's your answer.
Trump was elected by Russia, Wikileaks, the FBI traitors, Citizen United, the racists and naive people who believed his BS.

This talking pile of crap is not my president!

I'll call him dictator or tyrant Trump because it's more appropriate.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

... this is horrible. Sexist and racist people think their attitude is now socially acceptable due to the hate-filled pre-election debates, with Trump's election serving as a sort of legitimization. I fear the American society has some troubled times ahead.

Trump was elected by Russia, Wikileaks, the FBI traitors, Citizen United, the racists and naive people who believed his BS.

This talking pile of crap is not my president!

No he wasn't, and yes he is; sadly. He was democratically elected by the American people, and is by all rights the coming American president. Trump, aside from all his flaws (and there are many) managed to realize what many Americans were looking for. He managed to present himself as a self-made man from outside the classical political elite, and many people fell for it. Clinton on the other hand made mistakes, like when she publicly ranted about Trump supporters. This arrogance cost her dearly, even though she was certainly right about some of them.

That is not to say that Putin didn't try to influence the elections. He definitely did when he officially said that electing Clinton would lead to war, and I would not be surprised at all if there was evidence that Russia tried to manipulate the results. But I believe Trump would have been elected nonetheless.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

No he wasn't

No in the WikiLeaks, Russia and FBI part, but a definite 'yes' in the racists and naive people part from me I bet there were some who preferred him over Hillary though, who has many flaws. First of all, Hillary 'looks' and 'feels' fake. She stepped on her name partly to build her reputation. She did not have many reasonable positions that would satisfy the American people, while Trump, with all his flaws, appeared to be (careful. he wasn't. Just appeared to be) far more honest than her.

Showing 61-75 of 260