ForumsThe TavernPet Peeves

23 12219
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

This might turn into a thread for mild rants. What are your grouses? What gets on your nerves? Share your experiences!

For me, I detest people who misuse the word "literally". It just grates on my nerves, and it seems like they just don't understand when to use it properly!

• 23 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Oh, looks like we have a commonality there as well @KatPryde , I detest when people chomp too loudly! Interestingly though, some cultures consider it good to slurp loudly, as a sign that the food is tasty.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

People who:
Make stupid laughs after every time they speak
Chew to loudly
Apologize excessively
Burp all the time
Complain about their allergies and sensitivities at every possible opportunity
Don't ever laugh or smile
Stare at me to long
Make assumptions about who I am
Make assumptions about what I'm like
Make assumptions about what I like
Talk too much about/joke about bathroom/toilette subjects

Oh yeah, and wind. I really hate wind.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

One pet peeve of mine is when people burp loudly and act like it's really normal.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

People who:
Make stupid laughs after every time they speak
Chew to loudly
Apologize excessively
Burp all the time
Complain about their allergies and sensitivities at every possible opportunity

I... don't think you'll like me then.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Oh yeah, and wind. I really hate wind.

Now...is that farting or just the wind? XD Never met someone who dislikes the second one before.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Now...is that farting or just the wind? XD Never met someone who dislikes the second one before.

I meant wind as in meteorology, although I guess I dislike both pretty much.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It just makes me...makes me...sleepy....zzz...

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Seeing bad grammar and being completely unable to fix it.

Ok. This. Totally this.

Aisde from that, a list with things that get on my nerves:

Spam
Meeting people you know at a Supermarket (you can either say hi every time you see them while strolling around, say nothing after the first time, or creep around like a burglar to avoid stumbling on them a second time, all of which equally awkward.)
People who leave their bags onto adjacent seats in crowded buses, trains etc.

This is it for now...I'll probably think of more later xD

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Oh, another big one is when I try to buy something at a store and the cashier won't shut up and check me out because she's too busy trying to shove the store's club membership down my throat and get all of my personal info so they can spend the next 50 years sending me junk mail and giving all of my info to every store on earth that I will never shop at, like Pier 1 Imports.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

A big one for me as well, hearing my voice in a recording... I sometimes decide it's best to never speak again. Luckily, the problem is somewhat tolerable now, used to be a nightmare when I was younger though...

shafaet
shafaet
482 posts
Blacksmith

People who cough in front of my face without covering their mouth, most disgusting thing you could think of

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Hello @shafaet

*Cough* *COUGH* Some old man once coughed and hit me with his half chewed food. Eww.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

*Cough* *COUGH* Some old man once coughed and hit me with his half chewed food. Eww.

Nope nope nope nope nope. I'm off to sanitize every single bit of me thrice!

Also, another one I just remembered and this is the biggest one: people who are consistently late. I can't stand it. Really. No matter how busy you are, you can at the very least calculate the time you will take to get to the meeting point or whatever. I am ok with people being late up to 5 minutes. I am really starting to get annoyed after that if the other person doesn't call. If he does, it's alright. Anything can happen, I've done it too. But really I can't fathom people who are 10-20 minutes late every single time and pretend that it's a perfectly ok thing to do. Seriously? And what? Am I the one who is overreacting? No mate, I am the guy who waited 20 minutes outside in the cold for you. I have every right to react this way.

Vongoethe
Vongoethe
33 posts
Jester

Lies. I just can't stand lies. Even one lie is too many. If a person feels a "need" to lie then they aren't living their life correctly. The solution isn't to lie, it is to live a better life. It's a very childish, and to me, wicked thing to do. In my 50+ years I have had more damage done to me by lies than anything else I can think of. It's also belittling. To me it's like taking your soul out, tossing it on the ground, and monkey stomping it.

shafaet
shafaet
482 posts
Blacksmith

@nichodemus , you must have felt very revolted, I would stay 10 feet+ away from that old man for the rest of my life

Showing 1-15 of 23