ForumsWEPRThe Religion Debate Thread

704 250620
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

So yeah, our threads on religion have long since died out, so I figured it would be time to start afresh here!

Do you believe God exists (I know almost all of you don't)? Do you feel religion is important today? Is it a force for good? Discuss everything related to that here!

I'm going to start the ball rolling:

We all know about the rise of ISIS and the terrible acts it perpetuates. Does that show that Islam and religion in general is an awful concept? Is it the people who twist it? Or is it fundamentally an evil force?

Roping in the WERP frequenters
@MageGrayWolf @Kasic @Hahiha @FishPreferred @Doombreed @09philj

• 704 Replies
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

No, they don't. You can't deliberately defy something you know nothing about. It's like being condemned for doing something last week that supposedly violated an obscure sixteenth century taxation law from an Indonesian bill that was passed without anyone's knowledge and forgotten in a desk drawer until yesterday. Just having a rule exist under some circumstance does not obligate everyone in the universe to follow it.
You can definitely break a law you're unaware of. That doesn't make you any less guilty. And it's not just having a rule under circumstance. It is a rule by the highest authority in the universe.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

You can definitely break a law you're unaware of. That doesn't make you any less guilty.

Guilty in the eye of the one who made the law, perhaps, but that is irrelevant. You cannot be made responsible for breaking a law you knew nothing about.

Also, to tie this with the other argument, since you believe God to be omnipresent, yet religion to be dependent of place of birth / culture, this further muddies the picture as God apparently gave different laws to different cultures, yet, in your opinion, only acts upon those you were taught about?
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

Guilty in the eye of the one who made the law, perhaps, but that is irrelevant. You cannot be made responsible for breaking a law you knew nothing about.
That doesn't make sense anywhere. If you didn't know that you're not allowed to kill someone, you're still guilty. Perhaos a better example would be iff you didn't know about drinking laws in a different country, you're still held accountable.

Also, to tie this with the other argument, since you believe God to be omnipresent, yet religion to be dependent of place of birth / culture, this further muddies the picture as God apparently gave different laws to different cultures, yet, in your opinion, only acts upon those you were taught about?
I never said those religions were right. There is only one true God and only a few worship Him.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

That doesn't make sense anywhere. If you didn't know that you're not allowed to kill someone, you're still guilty. Perhaos a better example would be iff you didn't know about drinking laws in a different country, you're still held accountable.

I assume that every country has a law against murder... that's just common sense. Also, legal laws are a bad example, perhaps, for the simple reason that they are laws of real entities (countries) and when you visit that country, you can be expected to inform yourself and respect that other country's laws, as you know there can be real penalties.

In the case of religions however, my point is that you cannot be held morally responsible for not following a law you were not aware of. What is worse, there are so many different religions and denominations, it is strictly impossible to know about every single law, even less follow them all, just in case one of those religions might be right. From that point of view, the vast majority of humanity would be doomed to rot in hell either way, completely independently of whether they are good people or not. That's bonkers. And entirely arbitrary.

I never said those religions were right. There is only one true God and only a few worship Him.

I never said you said that. You did say that what religion you are is heavily influenced by where and when you were born. You also said you never read the Koran, so if there was a God and He was more like Muslims believe He is, you've probably broken God's laws innumerable times already, without knowing. But I realize you won't care as you think you're one of the chosen few anyway. I'll come back to that later.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

You can definitely break a law you're unaware of.
Is that not what my analogy just demonstrated?

And it's not just having a rule under circumstance. It is a rule by the highest authority in the universe.
No; it's having a rule that circumstances render utterly impossible to follow, and while we mortals must make do with a fallible and biased judicial system that inevitably fails to account for these circumstances, Almighty God is supposed to be better than that.

If you didn't know that you're not allowed to kill someone, you're still guilty.
Well, no. If you lack any awareness that this is a criminal act, you can't be guilty. That's what insanity pleas are for, after all.

Perhaos a better example would be iff you didn't know about drinking laws in a different country, you're still held accountable.
Right, so if such a country* suddenly declared that this law is universally enforceable and began convicting† various people outside its jurisdiction‡, holding those people accountable for violating this law would be unethical and utterly absurd. That is the problem.

*God
†****ing
‡of other faiths, unable to believe it, or having no knowledge of your religion
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

I assume that every country has a law against murder... that's just common sense. Also, legal laws are a bad example, perhaps, for the simple reason that they are laws of real entities (countries) and when you visit that country, you can be expected to inform yourself and respect that other country's laws, as you know there can be real penalties.
In the case of religions however, my point is that you cannot be held morally responsible for not following a law you were not aware of. What is worse, there are so many different religions and denominations, it is strictly impossible to know about every single law, even less follow them all, just in case one of those religions might be right. From that point of view, the vast majority of humanity would be doomed to rot in hell either way, completely independently of whether they are good people or not. That's bonkers. And entirely arbitrary.
I see that you're making the distinction between the laws of a country and the laws of religion. I don't understand why it would be necessary to follow the laws of every religion. There should only be one set of true laws if only one true God exists. I believe it's not possible to be Christian and practice any other religion. You're right in that we can't follow all the laws of God though. In fact, we can't follpw any of them without the grace of God.

I never said you said that. You did say that what religion you are is heavily influenced by where and when you were born. You also said you never read the Koran, so if there was a God and He was more like Muslims believe He is, you've probably broken God's laws innumerable times already, without knowing. But I realize you won't care as you think you're one of the chosen few anyway. I'll come back to that later.
Yeah I researched a little bit about Islam and it's not very appealing. From that research, I realized how hard it is to argue against a faith based religion, so I respect you guys.

Is that not what my analogy just demonstrated?
You're right. I didn't get what you were trying to say at first. My claim still stands that you are definitely accountable to the laws of God.

No; it's having a rule that circumstances render utterly impossible to follow, and while we mortals must make do with a fallible and biased judicial system that inevitably fails to account for these circumstances, Almighty God is supposed to be better than that.
Why should God have laws that make it okay for people to disobey Him just because they can't obey Him?

Well, no. If you lack any awareness that this is a criminal act, you can't be guilty. That's what insanity pleas are for, after all.
True to some degree. I believe that you can't be held accountable for sins if you are mentally incapable of understand sin (for example babies).

Right, so if such a country* suddenly declared that this law is universally enforceable and began convicting† various people outside its jurisdiction‡, holding those people accountable for violating this law would be unethical and utterly absurd. That is the problem.
The difference is that people of every religion are under God's jurisdiction because they were made by God. Also, God doesn't just suddenly change what's right and wrong.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I don't understand why it would be necessary to follow the laws of every religion. There should only be one set of true laws if only one true God exists.
It's the argument from inconsistent revelations. You cannot know which rules of which denomination of which religion are the correct ones.

Why should God have laws that make it okay for people to disobey Him just because they can't obey Him?
https://i.imgflip.com/1d7bh7.jpg
If people can't obey Him, He has no right to punish them for not being able to obey Him.

The difference is that people of every religion are under God's jurisdiction because they were made by God.
No, it isn't. To someone who doesn't even know about Him, there is no way to even suspect that He has that authority over them. It makes just as much sense as a country you've never heard of deciding that its unconventional laws apply to you.
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

I

t's the argument from inconsistent revelations. You cannot know which rules of which denomination of which religion are the correct ones.
Denominations exist because there are secondary issues. The main thing is that people are saved when they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I still don't understand this argument if you include other religions. Just because you believe something that contradicts the truth doesn't mean anything.

If people can't obey Him, He has no right to punish them for not being able to obey Him.
What is the logic to that?

No, it isn't. To someone who doesn't even know about Him, there is no way to even suspect that He has that authority over them. It makes just as much sense as a country you've never heard of deciding that its unconventional laws apply to you.
I don't think it's like that at all.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I don't understand why it would be necessary to follow the laws of every religion. There should only be one set of true laws if only one true God exists.

Precisely the point. Assuming one of the many many religions is true, there should be only one set of laws that applies. This leads to the two arguments I've been failing to make ( ):

- How can one know which one is true? You might be convinced you are right, but for someone like me, all religions are equally unlikely. If I had to choose from the myriads of religious denominations, I'd have no clue, since all religions each claim to be the true one. How could I be punished for not following a rule when there are too many potential ones to follow, and it isn't even clear whether any is relevant at all?

- If there is only one God, how come there are so many different religions to begin with? You'd think an omnipresent supposedly all-loving being as possessive as the Christian God would make clear which is true and which isn't. And no, that would not impair our free will. You have to know the options to make a real choice, and knowing of the options available does not warp your choice, quite the contrary in fact.

EDIT: I just realized my argument goes in the same direction as Fish's, concerning the argument from inconsistent revelations. Well, maybe it'll help you understand the issue better? Methinks I'll let Fish handle that point, though. Not necessary to have two people repeat the same points
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

Watch all of it.Edit: oops i din't see that you posted

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

How can one know which one is true? You might be convinced you are right, but for someone like me, all religions are equally unlikely. If I had to choose from the myriads of religious denominations, I'd have no clue, since all religions each claim to be the true one. How could I be punished for not following a rule when there are too many potential ones to follow, and it isn't even clear whether any is relevant at all?
That's on you, my friend. If God says you need to follow the law, you best be following the law. Too bad no one can. You see, Christianity is not like any other religion. I think that's why there's some confusion. With Christianity, you are not required to follow any laws to be saved because Jesus did it for you. It is ONLY by the grace of God that you are saved.

If there is only one God, how come there are so many different religions to begin with? You'd think an omnipresent supposedly all-loving being as possessive as the Christian God would make clear which is true and which isn't. And no, that would not impair our free will. You have to know the options to make a real choice, and knowing of the options available does not warp your choice, quite the contrary in fact.
Now this is where I would point you to the link I sent. You might want to start at lesson 3.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Just thought I'd help out this aspect, as it may be an important one.

The reasoning behind this comes from Immanuel Kant, who developed the following claim: 'ought implies can'. Basically, if I ought to do something (i.e. I have a moral--or even legal--obligation to do something) it follows that I can do it.

In other words, if it is the case that I ought to do something, it follows that I can, in fact, do it.

The converse (which the quoted text mentions) is that if I cannot do X, then it's not the case that I have a moral obligation to do it. This gets a bit complicated, but it comes down to whether or not a moral obligation can be discharged--that is, whether I can do some action to fulfill the obligation.

So if I cannot obey God, then I am under no obligation to do so.

But the question here comes down to whether someone who is unfamiliar with the notion of God can obey him. In a trivial sense, they can't because it's not obeying God (after all, they're not aware of any laws/commandments that they are obeying). That's not quite what's at issue here, though. I can follow a law, even if I'm not familiar that such a law exists.

What's going on in a case like this, however, is that I'm following a law, but not obeying it. Put another way, I just so happen to be doing what the law says. In a sense, we're now in the realm of moral luck, where I am no longer praiseworthy (or credit worthy, or creditable--depending on your specific views here) for doing the morally correct thing.

I've now lost my train of thought (I've been working nonstop for 10 hours and I've very tired), but I think there's something there you guys can go off of if you want. Sorry for rambling.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

That's on you, my friend. If God says you need to follow the law, you best be following the law.

He never showed up to tell me what to do or not to do. So I can't; so it's not on me, no.

With Christianity, you are not required to follow any laws to be saved because Jesus did it for you. It is ONLY by the grace of God that you are saved.

- Only some Christians believe that.
- Why, then, is the Bible full of things to do and not to do? Worse, the Bible explicitly shows God punishing people for their actions.
- I feel like we already had that argument, but I find that a horrible thing to believe in, as it means nothing we do or are is relevant at all, even more so since apparently his son took responsibility for anything that might ever be done. All we are supposed to be are living proof of God's glory; isn't that what you said last time we talked about that?

Now this is where I would point you to the link I sent. You might want to start at lesson 3.

Does it explain the multitude of religions and denominations?
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

@Moegreche I see. You know, you write very well when you're tired. However, maybe the problem in this particular argument lies in the word "can". There is a lot to cover so I suggest watching the lecture on free will, but basically since the fall of man, we have lost the desire to choose righteousness. It's not that we can't choose to obey God, but we would rather not based on our deepest inclinations.

He never showed up to tell me what to do or not to do. So I can't; so it's not on me, no.
As a creature of God, it is your responsibility to obey Him, so you should try to find out what He requires at least.

Only some Christians believe that.
I still don't get this argument. If they don't believe that then they're not saved.

Why, then, is the Bible full of things to do and not to do? Worse, the Bible explicitly shows God punishing people for their actions.
Well, Jesus didn't show up until the New Testament so things were different back then. The way you would become righteous in the eyes of God was the sacrifice of a perfect animal.

I feel like we already had that argument, but I find that a horrible thing to believe in, as it means nothing we do or are is relevant at all, even more so since apparently his son took responsibility for anything that might ever be done. All we are supposed to be are living proof of God's glory; isn't that what you said last time we talked about that?
I mean we still have to take the step of faith to accept what Jesus had done. And I'm not sure if that's exactly what I meant the last time we talked though.

Does it explain the multitude of religions and denominations?
I don't think it has to. It certainly mentions the fault in Arminianism so it does deal with people having the wrong denomination I guess. The difference between Calvinism and Arminianism is only a secondary issue so Arminianists are still saved.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zxvg1paPmTM/hqdefault.jpg

Watch all of it.
16:30
What he's stating here is that God reserves the right to pick and choose who is punished based solely on His own whim. What he fails to address is that "mercy" and "justice" cannot rationally apply to people who have done nothing wrong. Esau does not receive "justice" in this narrative, but reprisal, and not for being disobedient, but for being conceived "fallen" just like everyone else.

16:30
Here he describes the idea of "double predestination" in which God actively interferes with some lives in order to save them and actively interferes with other lives in order to doom them, basically creating faith and righteousness in certain people and seeding disbelief and evil in the rest. He fails to address the fact that God would have no need to interfere with what He Himself knowingly set in motion; you don't need any hidden aces when you've already stacked the deck. No one begins life believing in God, simply because there is no biological design for belief in Him. Evil can't even exist in the universe if not by His own will.

That's on you, my friend. If God says you need to follow the law, you best be following the law. Too bad no one can.
Please refer back to the analogy I made on page 21:
Judge: Defendant, you are hereby accused of failing to complete all of the 12 Herculean tasks.
Defendant: But, your honour, I am not Hercules. There's no way I could possibly do them!
Judge: Let the records show that the defendant pleads guilty of not doing the impossible. I hereby sentence you to torture unto death for this most heinous crime.

[...] but basically since the fall of man, we have lost the desire to choose righteousness. It's not that we can't choose to obey God, but we would rather not based on our deepest inclinations.
Which can only be His own fault.

As a creature of God, it is your responsibility to obey Him, so you should try to find out what He requires at least.
That's assuming that you already know you're a creature of God, rather than of Odin or Azathoth, and know how to find out if He demands anything at all, AND know which of the wilderness of "divine commands" out there are actually His.
Showing 346-360 of 704