ForumsNews and Feedback[Ideas] Armor Points?

129 52523
dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

the following discussion took place in count to 100 just after i made this post:

camy999: 11. I kinda wish that I'd participated more [when the AP system was around]. I only ever got to Gold Serf rank. Also I just realized that my profiles sixth birthday passed by without my notice

armorplayergc: ne::two12) another thing, besides joining AG earlier, I wish I had also bought Minecraft earlier, I only started in 2012, I wish I had started like 3 years earlier, then I could be better on it too

Chryosten: 13. My laziness when it came to gaming is why I only managed to reach Gold Knight. There was the contributing factor of constantly posting in FG.

SirLegendary: 14. Wish I could be here more often, I'm trying.

as far as i understand from this, it was more fun to be active on ag when there were armor points. would this be a reason for bringing them back?

• 129 Replies
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Let certain users, such as mods or even knights, modify a post's point value depending on whether it's useful or not. This would differentiate good long posts from bad long posts as long as a user with appropriate status sees the post. Of course, there should be an upper limit to how much a post's value can be modified, as quests should be a significant part of the point system.

Yeah, I agree. Should a new points system be introduced, AG could use all the help that they can get. Though, I'm not sure that even knights should have the powers you are suggesting, because we'll be carrying AG's standards, meaning we'll be representing them whenever deciding how many points a post/comment deserves. The difficulty lies in reliability and validity of the amount of points a user is rewarded for a post, because it differ from knight to knight or mod to mod. To simply put, would Knight A agree that User X should be awarded X amount of points, and would Knight B also award the same amount of points? That is reliability. Now, would Knight A or even Knight B give User X the deserved amount of points without being insufficient or going overboard? That is validity.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

Make short words worth fewer points without becoming pure points-for-characters. For example, 1-3 letter words could be worth half as much as anything longer. The measure could be extended to reward long words especially when combined with the other measures given below. Count only real words, using a spell checker to determine if a word is real or not. This would have the added effect of rewarding proper spelling, but if this measure is implemented, it should be easy to find out that only real and properly spelled words count. Let certain users, such as mods or even knights, modify a post's point value depending on whether it's useful or not. This would differentiate good long posts from bad long posts as long as a user with appropriate status sees the post. Of course, there should be an upper limit to how much a post's value can be modified, as quests should be a significant part of the point system.

alright, so let's divide the forum posts "valid" and "invalid", the Valid ones are those that cointain 4 words or more, the Invalid are the ones with 0 - 3 words, the Valid posts in the formula are now represented by &quot", and the Invalid ones are represented by "x", every Invalid post is worth half of a Valid one:

ceiling(3*(log10((10*(g+1)+2*(c+1)+(p+x/2)+188)/20)*(9*((e*2+q*4+h*7+I*12)/25+1)+80*(m/2+1))*sqrt(s+1)-89))

again, the letters have the same meaning as here, if you want to, use this link to visualize it, this would decrease even further the AP from spam and short posts, the "Posts" stat in the profile would be unchanged (Valid + Invalid posts), what do you think of it?

also, I'm not very sure about being admins/mods/knights being able to change the value of a post...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Anyone has potential ideas of what ranks should be?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Perhaps same ranks as before, except different amount of points to achieve for the new ranks? I'll try to make one up.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

That's a very complex forumula @armorplayergc haha!

Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

As an older member, I would love to see Armor Points come back.

I'm sure they were taken away for a number of reasons.

Spam.
People would be caught posting on ghost profiles and even spamming the forums.

Ratings.
People wouldn't even play a game before rating just for points.

I'm sure it was too crazy, complicated to code when the new site came around.

I guess the idea was to make AG more about gaming than points.

All of these points are obviously my own opinions.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Here are a few things that I thought about to increase activity keeping in mind what all new users complain about and what we wish to see as changes here. These are just observations. Anyone is free to add to them...

• New users always complain about Armatars. These days, even the competition(Armatar Contests) have thinned down and new graphic Armatars by AG are not available.
  • CSRF security checks irritate forum posters sometimes and can possibly deter new users from coming back here more often.
  • New game releases have lessened. We need to see good games with good ratings more often in the site in order to have a good traffic.
  • Quests are not released very often. As a result, many newcomers just earn a few new quests and leave maybe thinking that is all.
  • Spambots deter new people from being on the forums as it gives an impression that these forums are just ad threads.
  • The Community is not at all promoted anywhere in the site. Every promotion is that of google. Promoting the forums just before a game starts or in the home page will surely increase Forum traffic.
  • AFG+ is promoted just as a single strip of info at all places. I think it should be promoted just before an ad in a game starts.
  • Items in the AG store is completely not advertised. No promotions are done. As a result, many do not even visit the store to check whats up for sale. Selling merchandise will help to see more people here in the site maybe.
  • Contests are not held very often here. Contests like the Armatar Contests have slowed down a lot and I don't know if the Contests for getting the Builder Quest and the Debate Quest is still up and running. I also don't feel the Guide quest is given out that often. Giving out such quests to the deserving ones will encourage them to contribute more to the site.
  • If an AP like system is brought back, i feel there should be a good algorithm to check for spam or one that should be done manually to check spammers and spam posts from being given points. A good formula is also to be worked out.
  • Conducting and publicizing contests should be done at intervals. This will gather traffic here. I also feel that there is a need to promote the Forums in the home page rather that just give a link to it in a small bar and that, maybe, the AG About can be highlighted.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Contests are not held very often here. Contests like the Armatar Contests have slowed down a lot and I don't know if the Contests for getting the Builder Quest and the Debate Quest is still up and running. I also don't feel the Guide quest is given out that often. Giving out such quests to the deserving ones will encourage them to contribute more to the site.

Because of low activity in the forums, but I guess your suggestions for promoting the community and the forums will help with that.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

A new "star" stat has been added that may be a point system. I created a thread about it here.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Asking @Ferret and @boppins how they feel about my suggestions...

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@akshobhya While I agree with many of the things you bring up, the truth is we're a very small team. We're doing what we can, with what we have. The moderators are working hard as well, especially with the spam and sometimes contests.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

I'd like to hear ideas you guys have for ranks. Somewhere between 20-30 ranks. Ideally not the wood/silver/gold stuff again, but unique ranks.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Clearly the highest rank should be GOLDEN FERRET.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

How about...

Peasant - starter rank
Farmer - unlocked at 50 stars
Hunter - unlocked at 100 stars
Guard - unlocked at 250 stars
Trader - unlocked at 500 stars
Blacksmith - unlocked at 1,000 stars
Soldier - unlocked at 2,000 stars
Bourgeois - unlocked at 4,000 stars
Sorcerer - unlocked at 7,500 stars
Cleric - unlocked at 10,000 stars
General - unlocked at 12,500 stars
Warlord - unlocked at 15,000 stars
Royal Guard - unlocked at 18,000 stars
Noble - unlocked at 20,000 stars
Legend - unlocked at 24,000 stars

what do you think?
(another one if you want to:
Royal Ferret - unlocked at 30,000 stars)

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Royal ferret is an ideal ferret. Excellent.

Showing 31-45 of 129