ForumsNews and Feedback[Ideas] Armor Points?

129 52368
dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

the following discussion took place in count to 100 just after i made this post:

camy999: 11. I kinda wish that I'd participated more [when the AP system was around]. I only ever got to Gold Serf rank. Also I just realized that my profiles sixth birthday passed by without my notice

armorplayergc: ne::two12) another thing, besides joining AG earlier, I wish I had also bought Minecraft earlier, I only started in 2012, I wish I had started like 3 years earlier, then I could be better on it too

Chryosten: 13. My laziness when it came to gaming is why I only managed to reach Gold Knight. There was the contributing factor of constantly posting in FG.

SirLegendary: 14. Wish I could be here more often, I'm trying.

as far as i understand from this, it was more fun to be active on ag when there were armor points. would this be a reason for bringing them back?

• 129 Replies
armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

Oh! sorry for that, I thought with % you mean like, the players with the top 1% number of stars would have the ranking, so, I'll fix my ranking board:

here, it's about the % of the sum of all non-legendary quests

Peasant - 0% (starting rank)
Farmer - 15%
Hunter - 25%
Guard - 30%
Blacksmith - 35%
Trader - 40%
Sorcerer - 45%
Cleric - 50%
General - 55%
Warlord - 60%
Royal Guard - 65%
Noble - 70%
Lord - 75%
Legend - 85%

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

The 100% of all points will only include Quests that are currently earn-able by players.

I'm not sure I've got it correctly. Does this mean that if, for example, I've got 8-or-so quests for The Weapon Masters (which are not available anymore), they do count into my Star Points value, but not into the max ("100%&quot SP value? Or don't they count at all, not even into my SPs?

Anyway, this %'d model looks fine. Or very good, actually.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@helpo1 Those should be classified as "Legacy" Quests, and thus they will be "Extra Credit". They will count on your overall score, but not be factored into the total needed amount for ranks. Thus, you'll get value for having gotten the Quests, but no other person would ever need to get them for ranking up.

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

That indeed looks like the best solution and it's just what I hoped for, since it even allows people to let some quests slip away - like, in my case, the MMOs. Legendary quests and merits should be enough to balance these out - at least to a certain degree.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Agreed @Helpo1, that's certainly the idea. We are also still discussing a way to value activity on the website, and how it may provide you merits somehow - thus more points.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

The difficult thing will be to find a way to do that without allowing users farm merits by exploiting the system.

If Merits are to be given, then I would suggest passing each user 1 merit for each 1000 posts that are not in the Forum Games but due to the post count working like it is now, I think that's not possible unfortunately Also, that idea would encourage more spam than ever...

I suppose now is also the time to start rewarding game reviews, possibly making a category about it (since it's something we've been lacking and from what I've seen, we need people doing that if they can do it sufficiently ) will help in that sector. Because game reviews generally require a decent amount of work.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Current theory right now is "Activity" is measured in our system, and if you were active during a period... say a month. You would receive a merit. Lots of factors could contribute to what Activity is, not just posting on the forum.

We won't be incentivizing people to spam, that's not productive.

Seeing game reviews would be nice, maybe bigger than our scope right now though.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Current theory right now is "Activity" is measured in our system, and if you were active during a period... say a month. You would receive a merit. Lots of factors could contribute to what Activity is, not just posting on the forum.

@Ferret I especially love the idea that a monthly merit for activity would be great. Though I'm sure those merits for activity can't all be handed out by mods right? Looks like they're going to have to make it into an automatic thing.

We won't be incentivizing people to spam, that's not productive.

So does that mean you guys won't push for posts adding to points/stars? What about users who are heavy on the forums. I guess it's not the focus of the website, so I'd understand if you guys didn't have posts count for something.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Let me suggest this - How about a Merit for passing each rank/Getting into the next rank in the new system, if it is implemented?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

This sounds like a really good idea, but I doubt there is a way to know in what kind of activity the user is engaging right? So, is this also going to affect people who play Forum Games? Because, call me a conservative, but I don't think it is a kind of forum activity that needs to be rewarded

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Honestly, Forum activity is so low, it doesn't really make much of a difference to count FG in or not. Some RPGs also take alot of effort to set up and run.

It's just great overall that the point system has been revamped.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Let me suggest this - How about a Merit for passing each rank/Getting into the next rank in the new system, if it is implemented?

That doesn't have anything to do with forum activity, though. Also, I don't think a merit for each rank would be justified, since rank titles would in themselves be an achievement. Maybe one each fifth rank or so, as an incentive?

Honestly, Forum activity is so low, it doesn't really make much of a difference to count FG in or not. Some RPGs also take alot of effort to set up and run.

I'm with Doombreed here, FG posts should not be counted per se. Some FGs require very minimal efforts, and it is easy to fill pages of threads last posted in.
However, I like the idea of rewarding people who run RPGs and the like. If this could be factored in to activity somehow, that would definitely be a good idea.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

However, I like the idea of rewarding people who run RPGs and the like. If this could be factored in to activity somehow, that would definitely be a good idea.

Ι agree, RPGs require effort and hould be factored into activity if that's possible. Though nicho does raise a point. The number of consistent users is almost the same as that of the active mods...

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

I honestly don't think that's going to be good. In the past, merits actually made people feel like they achieved something - wrote a good guide, participated in the armatar/AS contests, debates, counting etc. They're devaluated enough already. If there was a system that would just award merits for just activity, being present and posting a lot, and furthermore it was an automated one... Well, I'm pessimistic about this. Really, really pessimistic.

Quests, great. They're all the same for everybody. No exceptions.
Merits, okay. They're handed out by people who know what they're doing (well, at least I hope :P).
Posts, comments, game rates, no. Way too easily exploitable. I wasn't here back then, but AFAIK that's what led to downfall of the AP system.

TL;DR - If there is ever any kind of rewarding "oh, you know, just activity", it is going to be exploited. And if merits get handed out even more frequently, they'll be worth just as much as Hungarian Pengő.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Ratings and comments were exploited, but I don't think posting became as big an issue. It was far harder to hide spam for one.

Showing 61-75 of 129