ForumsForum GamesMedieval Arena Signup Thread

33 14008
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

Hello and welcome to medieval arena! Here you will create characters to fight against other people's characters in the tournament thread. If you want to join simple fill out the following character sheet.

Name: (First name required, last and middle name recommended)
Title: (Describe your character’s class if it was in an rpg with classes in one or two words.)
Physical Description: (Include height, build, hair color, skin color, eye color and gender. Anything else is optional but encouraged.)
Race: (This can be anything as long as it fits the theme. If you can’t think of anything check the recommended races section.)
—————
Equipment: (Include weapons, armor and any other tools. Feel free to give your weapons special effects as long as they’re fair. Make sure you have the correct proficiency for the weapons you have.)
Abilities: (You can make these up but you can have no more then 4. If you get stuck check the recommended abilities section.
Pets: (This can be anything as long as you have the correct ability.)
Skills: (Make these based off of your powers. You can have as many as you want.)
—————
Health: (I give this based off of your race and other things.)
Speed: (Same as health)
Armor: Low (Same as health and speed.)

Recommended Abilities:

Sword Proficiency, Polearm Proficiency, Heavy Melee Weapon Proficiency, Bow Proficiency, Crossbow Proficiency, Thrown Weapon Proficiency, Magical Weapon Proficiency,c Poison Proficiency, Fire Magic, Water Magic, Earth Magic, Air Magic, Lightning Magic, Ice Magic, Life Magic, Death Magic, Light Magic, Shadow Magic, Arcane Magic, Poison Magic, Offensive Runes, Supportive Runes, Defensive Runes, Mammalian Shapeshifting, Reptilian Shapeshifting, Avian Shapeshifting, Monstrous Shapeshifting, Mammalian Pets, Reptilian Pets, Avian Pets, Monstrous Pets, Berserking, Stealth, Mounting

Recommended Races:

Human, Forest Elf, High Elf, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Giant, Orc, Demon, Angel, Fairy, Goblin, Orc, Ogre, Troll, Zombie, Skeleton, Vampire

Additional Information:

You can give your skills one of the following status effects if you want.
Burnt high damage over time.
Frozen decreases dodge chance.
Shocked low damage over time ignoring armor and small decrease to dodge chance.
Poisoned medium damage over time ignoring armor.

During combat you can either use one of your skills, or use an action. I will have a list of recommended actions such as dodge which triples your chance to dodge, but you can use any action.

There are several different ranges you can be at they are:
Close range which is the range at which you can attack with swords and most melee weapons. Ranged abilities like firing arrows are useless here.
Medium range is the range at which you can attack with the largest melee weapons like great swords, war hammers, pollards and the like. Ranged abilities can be used at this range
Long range: Only ranged abilities can be used at this range.
Very long range is where not even ranged abilities can hit the enemy target.

Tagging @Loop_Stratos, @Nichodemus, @HahiHa and @Akshobhya as they expressed interest in the interest check thread.

• 33 Replies
Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Name: Claunch
Title: Ghosts' Archer
Physical Description: 1.6m tall, Medium Build, Brown hair, White Skin, Light Blue Eyes, Male.
Race: Ghost
—————
Equipment: The Unseen's Crossbow, Light Armor, Cape of Shadows.
Abilities: Crossbow Proficiency, Shadow Magic, Stealth, Evader
Pets: -
Skills: (Max?)
-Shadow Arrow(Fires an arrow shrouded in shadow)
-Hide(Disappears to thin air, unseen)
-Dodged!(Quickly hovers left or right)
—————
Dodge Chance: (Same as health)
Armor: Low (Same as health and dodge chance.)

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I'll sign up

Name: Doombreed
Title: Daemon Prince
Physical Description: 3.5m tall, Large Build, No Hair, Dark Red Skin, Yellow Eyes, Horns, Wings, Male.
Race: Demon
Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Fire Magic, Warp aura (The ground around the Demon slowly becomes tainted, making it more difficult to traverse. Can travel through Warp portals or summon minions through them), Furious Charge ( additional damage when charging or bull rushing opponents)
Skills:

- Swipe (basic sword attack. Deals moderate damage to enemies in close range with no extra effect)
- Fist of Fury (Punches the target. Stunning but low damage)
- Fireball (Shoots one Fireball which can set enemies on fire. Ranged attack with high DOT)
- Blink (Teleport.Can be used to teleport close to, or away from an opponent. Can also be used to dodge by blinking past the attack, but a rather costly move that cannot be used continuously.)
- Flurry (Multiple Sword Swipes. High Damage against enemies in close range)
- Bull Rush (Rushes the target, smashing through obstacles and trampling opponents. Medium Damage)
- Air Raid (A fast aerial rush that attempts to hit the target from a medium range instantly, and remaining mid air. Medium damage. Returns back to medium range.)
- Blazing Meteor (While Flying, lands onto an enemy with full force. Takes 2 turns, but causes a shockwave while landing with the potential for area damage and fire damage. Does High Damage and stuns on hit. Does NOT set enemies on fire, despite the fire damage.)
- Flamethrower (Breathes fire. Continuous multi-turn flame attack against enemies at close range that does high damage and sets enemies on fire)
- Daemonic Roar (demoralizing attack designed to push back enemies. Very Low damage, but pushes targets away)
- Warp Portal (opens a portal anywhere. Can travel between portals only after a second portal has been opened)
- Summon daemon (Summons a daemonic minion through a portal. Daemons can only live for 4 turns and can only attack up close with their sword. They also have low armor and health but a somewhat high dodge chance in close range)

I assume my armor is going to be heavy and my dodge chance low, along with high health. If my skills look a bit OP, then you can make them somewhat costly to use, like adding a cooldown, or making some of them easier to dodge. I tried to be as descriptive as possible and with a wide range of attacks. My 2 multi-turn skills mean I cannot stop in-between, I have to complete using them. Specifically, the flamethrower lasts a minimum of 2 turns.

I suggest, since I may be capable of flying, that landing and taking off, each cost an action. The air raid skill is a rush but it is not affected by my Furious Charge ability, since it is completed in one turn.

I used relative ranges because I don't know how exactly that will work. I suggest that, to make it easier to understand and separate between ranged and melee characters, that you use relative ranges between fighters.

Close range is the range at which you can attack with swords longswords and most melee weapons. Ranged abilities like firing arrows are useless here.
Medium range is the range at which you can attack with the largest melee weapons like greatswords, warhammers and the like. Ranged abilities can be used at this range
Long range: Only ranged abilities can be used at this range.
Very long range is where not even ranged abilities can hit the enemy target. Mostly used as a placeholder, since most action will take place in shorter ranges.

If you agree, fast characters can close distances easily and even with abilities, like shadow blending or gliding, while heavily armored and bulky chracters are slower to move around

Of course, that's just my suggestion after reading the interest check thread. @ Notify me if there must be a change in my character. Thanks xD

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

If i can put that many skills, i'm going to modify my character >.>

tell me max skills pls niv.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

There is probably not a fixed max number of skills @Loop_Stratos . Since nothing is mentioned, I took the liberty of adding as many skills as I could think. Remember this is an arena fighting thread, so we'll have to be descriptive and find ways to counter every situation.

So go ahead and add more skills. Look to my character if you want ideas (since I've been planning this character for quite some time xD)

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Sign me in. I will post a character sheet soon, just give me some time to think this over.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Good, this is growing ^^

Another thing, which I feel I may have to clarify. Some of my attacks are difficult to dodge while others are not. For example, the Flamethrower and the Daemonic Roar affect a whole area, so they mostly cannot be dodged (obviously). That is offset by other tactical disadvantages, like low damage in one case or the need to use for more than 1 turn on the other. The Blazing Meteor also affects an area, so it is harder to dodge, but not as hard as the aforementioned skills.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

overhaul in way

Title: Burning Spirit
Physical Description: 1.6m tall, Medium Build, Brown hair, White Skin, Light Blue Eyes, Male.
—————
Equipment: Flame Sword, Fire Shield, Burning Armor
Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Shadow Magic, Fire Magic, Hovering
Skills:
-Fireball(Ranged, Med dmg, burn chance)
-Sphere of Spirits(Ranged, High dmg, Recoil)
-Fiery Slash of the Volcanoes(Melee, High dmg, burn chance)
-Fire Spin(Self, deals damage if taken melee dmg, lasts for 2 turns)
-Homing Flame(Ranged, Low dmg, never miss)
-Leech Life(Short ranged, Med dmg, heals 30% dmg dealt)
-Shield of the thousand shadows(Blocks one attack, 5 turn cooldown)
-Fire Bombardement(Hits all enemies, low dmg, ranged)
-Low-altitude flight(Flies for 6 turns. During flight, bypasses walls etc and increases dodge chance)
-Backstab(Flies to behind enemy and stabs. Cannot be done during flight. Melee, but can be executed from short ranged range. Med dmg)
—————

I can't do too much with crossbows.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

- Fist of Fury (Punches the target. Stunning but low damage)

no specified cooldown/ stun %?

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

Name: Alcolm Malorno
Title: Flaming Swordmaster
Physical Description: 5' 10", somewhat thin, slightly pale skin, dark grey hair, white eyes, male.
Race: Elfling (Half Elf, Half Human)
—————
Equipment: Flaming Rapier (burning), light body armor (Bracers, lightweight Chestplate, and shin guards), as well as a guantlet that looks like it contain the essence of flame.
Abilities: Sword proficiency, Fire magic, Stealth, Acrobatics (speedy and able to jump far)
Pets: None
Skills:
Battle calm: calms myself in the midst of battle, sharpening my senses and making myself far more efficient. happens when below 50% health, increases speed and damage dealt by 25%
Essence of Flame: fire a beam of pure heat from my gauntlet. Burns.
Swordmasters attack: a flurry of swipes that decimate anyone in my way.
Flaming Stab: 50% chance to hit, BUT effects target with burned and ignores armor.
Frenzy: increases damage dealt and also ignores 15% of armor until Frenzy is over, but decreases dodge chance by 20% and armor by 20%. Lasts 3 turns.
Final stand: whenever i am below 20% health, i decide i am about to die, and decide to take as many as i can with me. increases damage by 50%, decreases armor by 50%, decreases dodge by 25%, and all abilities now have Burning.
Fit: if out of combat and have 75% health or higher, i regain all health lost and lose all status effects.
—————

i am gonna go for a bit of a glass cannon with some health based abilities.

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

Sorry, for not clarifying, there is no max number of skills. I also should be much more active starting Monday the 2nd.

@Doombreed

Physical Description: 3.5m tall, Large Build, No Hair, Dark Red Skin, Yellow Eyes, Horns, Wings, Male.
Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Fire Magic, Warp aura (The ground around the Demon slowly becomes tainted, making it more difficult to traverse. Allows traveling through Warp portals or summoning minions through them), Furious Charge ( additional damage when charging or bull rushing opponents)
Skills:
- Swipe (basic sword attack. Deals moderate damage to enemies in close range with no extra effect)
- Fist of Fury (Punches the target. 50% chance to stun but low damage)
- Fireball (Shoots one Fireball which has a 30% chance to set enemies on fire, Ranged attack)
- Blink (Teleport. Can be used to teleport close to, or away from an opponent. Can also be used to dodge by blinking past the attack, but a rather costly move that cannot be used continuously. 2 turn cool down.)
- Flurry (Multiple Sword Swipes. High Damage against enemies in close range)
- Bull Rush (Rushes the target, smashing through obstacles and trampling opponents. Medium Damage. 1 turn cool down)
- Air Raid (A fast aerial rush that attempts to hit the target from a medium range instantly, and remaining mid air. Medium damage. Returns back to medium range. 1 turn cool down)
- Blazing Meteor (While Flying, lands onto an enemy with full force. Takes 2 turns, 100% chance to stun, very high damage, can only be used once per battle.)
- Flamethrower (Breathes fire. Continuous multi-turn flame attack against enemies at close range that does high damage and has a 60% chance to set enemies on fire. 2 turn cool down)
- Daemonic Roar (demoralizing attack designed to push back enemies. Very Low damage, but pushes targets away)
- Warp Portal (opens a portal anywhere. Can travel between portals only after a second portal has been opened)
- Summon daemon (Summons a daemonic minion through a portal. Daemons can only live for 4 turns and can only attack up close with their sword. They also have low armor and health but a somewhat high dodge chance in close range)

I added cool downs for some of the stronger skills and gave a percentage chance for your skills to stun or burn. You seem ready to go but we still have to wait for some more players. I'm also taking your suggestion for the ranges.

@Loop_Stratos

—————
Equipment: Flame Longsword, Fire Shield, Burning Armor
Skills:
-Fireball(Ranged, Med dmg, 20% Chance to burn)
-Sphere of Spirits(Ranged, High dmg, 25% Recoil)
-Fiery Slash of the Volcanoes (Melee, High dmg, 20% Chance to burn, 1 turn cool down)
-Fire Spin(Self, deals low damage if taken melee dmg, lasts for 2 turns)
-Homing Flame(Ranged, Low dmg, never miss)
-Leech Life(Short ranged, Med dmg, heals 30% dmg dealt)
-Fire Bombardement(Hits all enemies, low dmg, ranged)
-Low-altitude flight(Flies for 6 turns. During flight, bypasses walls etc and increases dodge chance)
-Backstab(Flies to behind enemy and stabs. Cannot be done during flight. Melee, but can be executed from short ranged range. Med dmg)
—————
Health: 60/60
Dodge Chance: High
Armor: Average

I added cool downs for some of the stronger skills and gave a percentage chance for your skills to burn. You seem ready to go but we still have to wait for some more players

Edit: Etg2002 you ninja'd me, but I don't have time for you so you might have to wait a couple hours, sorry.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Name: Norðri Jötunn-Blood
Title: Warrior
Physical Description: 2m tall / brawny / golden hair / full beard / pale skin / black eyes / male
Race: Einherjar
—————
Equipment: Frost Battleaxe / mail worn over a gambeson / war horn
Abilities: Axe Proficiency / Frost Magic / Rune Casting / Berserk
Skills:
- Basic attack (melee attack with Battleaxe: high damage, slow, frost damage)
- Boar Cleaver (same as 'Basic Attack', but stronger, slower, with chance of crit. hit)
- War Horn (fear; weakens every adversary's stats)
- Berserk (greatly increases damage, speed, crit. rate and effect of 'War Horn' for a short time)
- Frost Bolt (ranged frost attack, chance to stun)
- Ice Skin (protective ice armor: higher armor, lower speed)
- Healing Rune (heals caster)
- Rune of Hel (turns caster into a Draugr for the rest of the duel: greatly increases weakness to fire/holy attacks; depletes health at each turn, but damage/speed/resistance to physical attacks correlate negatively with health (increase each turn))
—————

Explanations and comments:
- I put the 'Basic Attack' as a skill, but I suppose it would actually be an action (standard attack)?
- In case you don't know, an Einherjar is a dead Nordic warrior that trains in Valhalla for the battle of Ragnarök. Hence my character focuses on health and melee damage, but is not particularly agile. A Draugr is just a kind of strong undead.
- The armor does not offer a very high protection but allows for greater freedom of movement (in case armor has any effect on stats).
- I hope the skills are OK / fair as I put them, but feel free to modify the effects to fit your system

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@HahiHa Nice idea I thought the Einherjar had 2 battle axes though xD

@nivlac724 If Stat changes are possible in your system, I'd like to change one if my moves

- Daemonic Roar: Lowers every enemy Stat for a while (3 turns recommended). Does not stack.

I should also specify the range if some of my moves. The bull rush in particular is usable from any range except short but it hits immediately only in medium range. It takes 2 turns to hit if used in long range and obviously reduces the range to short in every case.

Also, the flurry move is not compatible with a charge. So it cannot possibly benefit from the furious charge ability.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Can I change Fire Spin into:

-Fire Spin(Self, counters 20-40% damage taken from melee attacks, lasts for 2 turns)

The 20-40%, you decide the most balanced.

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

just making sure this is still a thing, cause i honestly cannot tell.

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

To all: get ready! The battle starts in 2 weeks (Monday, May 16th, 2016).

@etg2002 This is still a thing, like I said before I was very busy over the weekend but I should be much more active.

@Doombreed

I am redoing your skills since I have finalized the format.

Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Fire Magic, Warp aura (The ground around the Demon slowly becomes tainted, making it more difficult to traverse. Allows traveling through Warp portals or summoning minions through them), Furious Charge ( additional damage when charging or bull rushing opponents)
Skills:
- Swipe (Basic sword attack, Average damage, Melee attack)
- Fist of Fury (Punches the target, low damage, Melee attack, 50% chance to stun)
- Fireball (Shoots one Fireball, Average Damage, Ranged Attack, 30% chance to burn)
- Blink (No damage, Self, Teleports user to any range, 2 turn cool down)
- Flurry (Multiple Sword Swipes, High Damage, Melee attack, 1 turn cool down)
- Bull Rush (Rushes the target, smashing through obstacles and trampling opponents, Medium Damage, Can be used at any range except short, Moves user to close range, Takes 1 turn at medium range, 2 at long range and 3 at very long range, 1 turn cool down)
- Air Raid (A fast aerial rush that attempts to hit the target from a medium range instantly, and remaining mid air, Medium damage, Melee Attack, If user is at medium range they can swoop in, attack and come back to medium range, 1 turn cool down)
- Blazing Meteor (While Flying, lands onto an enemy with full force, Very high damage, Can be used at any range except for very long, Takes 2 turns, 100% chance to stun, Can only be used once per battle.)
- Flamethrower (Breathes fire, Continuous multi-turn flame attack, High damage, Close range ranged attack, 60% chance to burn, Has to be used at least twice in succession, Cannot be dodged, 2 turn cool down after last time being used in succession)
- Daemonic Roar (demoralizing attack designed to lower enemy stats, Very Low damage, Ranged attack, Lowers all stats for all enemies by 1 for 3 turns, Cannot be dodged, Does not stack)

@Loop_Stratos

I am redoing your skill since I have finalized the format.

—————
Equipment: Flame Longsword, Fire Shield, Burning Armor
Skills:
-Fireball(Med damage, Ranged attack, 20% chance to burn)
-Sphere of Spirits(High damage, Ranged attack 20% recoil)
-Fiery Slash of the Volcanoes (High dmg, Melee attack, 20% Chance to burn, 2 turn cool down)
-Fire Spin (Self, Increases armor by 1 level, lasts for 2 turns)
-Homing Flame(Low damage, Ranged attack, Never misses)
-Leech Life (Medium damage, Medium range ranged attack, heals 30% of damage dealt, 1 turn cool down)
-Fire Bombardement(Low damage, Ranged attack, Effects all enemies)
-Backstab (Flies to behind enemy and stabs. Medium damage, Melee attack, If user is at medium range they can fly in and attacks, Cannot be done during flight.)
—————
Health: 45/45
Speed: High

Loop_Stratos is backstab supposed to be only useable when flying?

@etg2002

Name: Alcolm Malorno
Title: Flaming Swordmaster
Physical Description: 5' 10", somewhat thin, slightly pale skin, dark grey hair, white eyes, male.
Race: Elfling (Half Elf, Half Human)
—————
Equipment: Flaming Rapier (burning), light body armor (Bracers, lightweight Chestplate, and shin guards), as well as a guantlet that looks like it contain the essence of flame.
Abilities: Sword proficiency, Fire magic, Stealth, Acrobatics (speedy and able to jump far)
Pets: None
Skills:
Battle Calm (Calms user in the midst of battle, sharpening the users senses and making the user far more efficient. Happens when below 50% health, increases speed by 1 level and damage dealt by 25%
Essence of Flame: (fire a beam of pure heat from users gauntlet. High Damage, Medium range ranged attack, 30% chance to burn, 2 turn cool down)
Sword masters Attack (A flurry of swipes that decimate anyone in the users way, High damage, Melee attack, 1 turn cool down)
Flaming Stab: (Average damage, Melee attack, 50% chance to hit, 100% chance to burn, Ignores armor, 2 turn cool down)
Frenzy: (increases damage dealt by 25% and also ignores 15% of armor until Frenzy is over, but decreases dodge chance by 20% and armor by 20%, Lasts 3 turns)
Final stand (Whenever the user is below 20% health, the user decides they are about to die, and they decide to take as many as they can with them. increasing damage by 50%, decreasing armor by 50%, decreasing dodge by 25%, and all abilities get an extra 30% chance to burn.)
Fit (If the user hasn't been attacked in 2 turns, hasn't attacked an enemy in 2 turns and they have 75% health or higher, The user regains all health lost and loses all status effects.)
—————
Health: 60/60
Speed: Average

@Hahiha

Name: Norðri Jötunn-Blood
Title: Warrior
Physical Description: 2m tall / brawny / golden hair / full beard / pale skin / black eyes / male
Race: Einherjar
—————
Equipment: Frost Battleaxe / mail worn over a gambeson / war horn
Abilities: Heavy Weapon Proficiency / Frost Magic / Supportive Runes / Berserking
Skills:
- Basic attack (melee attack with Battleaxe. Average damage, Melee attack, 30% chance to freeze.)
- Boar Cleaver (High damage, Melee attack, 60% chance to freeze, 10% chance for a critical hit, which deals double damage, 1 turn cool down)
- War Horn (Ranged attack, Lowers all stats for all enemies by 1 for 4 turns, Cannot be dodged, Does not stack)
- Berserk (Increases damage by 25%, Increases speed by 1 level, Gives all abilities a +10% crit chance and increases effect of 'War Horn' to 6 turns for 2 turns, 6 turn cool down)
- Frost Bolt (Medium damage, Ranged attack, 30% chance to stun)
- Ice Skin (protective ice armor, increases armor by 1 level, decreases speed by 1 level)
- Healing Rune (Average healing, Self, 4 turn cool down)
- Rune of Hel (turns caster into a Draugr for the rest of the duel. Making fire and holy attacks not be effected by armor, health depletes by 5 each turn, but damage is increased by 1% for each health less than maximum, Speed and armor is increased by 1 level per 20 health less than maximum)
—————
Health: 65/65
Speed: Low
Armor: High

Showing 1-15 of 33