ForumsForum GamesMedieval Arena Signup Thread

33 14006
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

Hello and welcome to medieval arena! Here you will create characters to fight against other people's characters in the tournament thread. If you want to join simple fill out the following character sheet.

Name: (First name required, last and middle name recommended)
Title: (Describe your character’s class if it was in an rpg with classes in one or two words.)
Physical Description: (Include height, build, hair color, skin color, eye color and gender. Anything else is optional but encouraged.)
Race: (This can be anything as long as it fits the theme. If you can’t think of anything check the recommended races section.)
—————
Equipment: (Include weapons, armor and any other tools. Feel free to give your weapons special effects as long as they’re fair. Make sure you have the correct proficiency for the weapons you have.)
Abilities: (You can make these up but you can have no more then 4. If you get stuck check the recommended abilities section.
Pets: (This can be anything as long as you have the correct ability.)
Skills: (Make these based off of your powers. You can have as many as you want.)
—————
Health: (I give this based off of your race and other things.)
Speed: (Same as health)
Armor: Low (Same as health and speed.)

Recommended Abilities:

Sword Proficiency, Polearm Proficiency, Heavy Melee Weapon Proficiency, Bow Proficiency, Crossbow Proficiency, Thrown Weapon Proficiency, Magical Weapon Proficiency,c Poison Proficiency, Fire Magic, Water Magic, Earth Magic, Air Magic, Lightning Magic, Ice Magic, Life Magic, Death Magic, Light Magic, Shadow Magic, Arcane Magic, Poison Magic, Offensive Runes, Supportive Runes, Defensive Runes, Mammalian Shapeshifting, Reptilian Shapeshifting, Avian Shapeshifting, Monstrous Shapeshifting, Mammalian Pets, Reptilian Pets, Avian Pets, Monstrous Pets, Berserking, Stealth, Mounting

Recommended Races:

Human, Forest Elf, High Elf, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Giant, Orc, Demon, Angel, Fairy, Goblin, Orc, Ogre, Troll, Zombie, Skeleton, Vampire

Additional Information:

You can give your skills one of the following status effects if you want.
Burnt high damage over time.
Frozen decreases dodge chance.
Shocked low damage over time ignoring armor and small decrease to dodge chance.
Poisoned medium damage over time ignoring armor.

During combat you can either use one of your skills, or use an action. I will have a list of recommended actions such as dodge which triples your chance to dodge, but you can use any action.

There are several different ranges you can be at they are:
Close range which is the range at which you can attack with swords and most melee weapons. Ranged abilities like firing arrows are useless here.
Medium range is the range at which you can attack with the largest melee weapons like great swords, war hammers, pollards and the like. Ranged abilities can be used at this range
Long range: Only ranged abilities can be used at this range.
Very long range is where not even ranged abilities can hit the enemy target.

Tagging @Loop_Stratos, @Nichodemus, @HahiHa and @Akshobhya as they expressed interest in the interest check thread.

• 33 Replies
etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

Alrighty then! can't wait for the 16th!

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Backstab cannot be done while flying, not the reverse.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

- Rune of Hel (turns caster into a Draugr for the rest of the duel. Making fire and holy attacks not be effected by armor, health depletes by 5 each turn, but damage is increased by 1% for each health less than maximum,

1% ? I mean, in this game, 80 health is considered relatively high. The 'moderate' damage one can inflict to an enemy with high armor can't be more than 8-10 right? So 1% of that is 0.08 - 0.1. and 5% is 0.4 - 0.5 It will basically take 2 turns for HahiHa's damage to increase by 1 point while his health will be depleting rapidly (that is, if I am getting this right. 1% increase for every 1 point of health less than the maximum is that correct?) The maximum incease he can attain is about 60%, so in his final turn before he dies, he will be able to deliver a grand total of (aproximately, assuming my calculations are correct) 14 - 16 damage. Don't you think it is not much of an increase? This is supposed to be overdrive mode the way I am getting it.

That all is, of course, under the assumption that my calculations are approximately correct. And of course, @HahiHa can speak for himself

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

This is supposed to be overdrive mode the way I am getting it.

That was my intention, yes.
Admittedly, when I wrote this I had in mind that the damage increase would be calculated based on the health decrease since casting the rune, which of course means it would need to be a far larger increase to be worth it. I realize now it may not be the most fair solution, as casting it early would mean a huge damage increase late in the duel. nivlac's approach is possibly better, as I can cast it at the last moment and instantly get bonus damage, which maybe fits the 'overdrive' aspect a bit more. I agree the percentage could be tweaked a little bit. However, keep in mind it also increases my speed, which, if I am getting it right, means a better hit chance. Considering my low starting speed, you could interpret this as a further damage increase, statistically speaking :P

I thought the Einherjar had 2 battle axes though xD

Also a fan of AoM, huh?
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Considering my low starting speed, you could interpret this as a further damage increase, statistically speaking :P

This interpretation would only work if bulky characters like yours and mine have stronger attacks by default (if their 'moderate' damage is more than faster characters' 'moderate' damage). Because otherwise, it really isn't worth it. You see, your speed increases slowly, only once for every 20 points of damage you have suffered. So you will only attain maximum speed for your last 4 turns (when your health reaches 25/65). And of course, that is 4 turns, assuming no one actually hits you in the meantime...a single powerful attack will make this 2 turns or even 1, while even the weakest attack can bring about your demise one turn early). Nowhere near the time needed to take advantage of it, especially with that low of a percentage of damage increase And don't forget that fire and holy attacks directed against you start ignoring your armor. Me, Loop and etg we all use fire attacks. All of us. What if a single fireball can chip away 15 of your health due to that?

In conclusion, it all seems too underwhelming. While the speed increase is pretty reasonable (the boost starts making itself useful as early as at 45/65 health, when your speed already goes from low to average), it can only work with a decent damage increase, otherwise it's a waste really (certainly seems like it). Of course, that is a matter for our glorious game moderator so I am @ summoning him. @nivlac724

Also a fan of AoM, huh?

Always I love it. Though I should have considered the (not so) slight inaccuracies in the game and just googled the thing first probably xD

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

@Loop_Stratos

Okay, it said "The user flies around his opponent and stabs" so I thought it might be the other way around.

@HahiHa and @Doombreed

Fist let's clarify some things.

Very low damage deals 2-4 damage before armor.

low damage deals 6-8 damage before armor.

Average damage deals 10-12 damage before armor.

High damage deals 12-14 damage before armor.

Very high damage deals 16-18 damage before armor.

Very low speed has a 0% chance to dodge and it takes 2 turns to move 1 range. (You can only get this speed through stat changes, it can't be a base speed.)

low speed has a 5% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 1 range.

Average speed has a 15% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 1 range.

High speed has a 25% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 1 range.

Very high speed has a 35% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 2 ranges. (You can only get this speed through stat changes, it can't be a base speed.)

Very low Armor resists 0% of damage. (You can only get this armor through stat changes, it can't be a base armor.)

low Armor resists 5% of damage.

Average Armor resists 10% of damage.

High Armor resists 15% of damage.

Very high Armor resists 20% of damage. (You can only get this armor through stat changes, it can't be a base armor.)

So, against an enemy with high armor an average damage attack will deal 8-10 damage, exactly what HahiHa predicted. which means HahiHa could still deal a maximum 14-16 damage, which I agree is a little underpowered. If I change it to 2% per health then at 5 health remaining, it would be a 120% bonus. Dealing 18-22 damage which I feel is more balanced. I'm also changing fire and holy attacks to ignore 2 levels of armor, instead of all of it. So HahiHa your new character sheet is:

Name: Norðri Jötunn-Blood
Title: Warrior
Physical Description: 2m tall / brawny / golden hair / full beard / pale skin / black eyes / male
Race: Einherjar
—————
Equipment: Frost Battleaxe / mail worn over a gambeson / war horn
Abilities: Heavy Weapon Proficiency / Frost Magic / Supportive Runes / Berserking
Pets: -
Skills:
- Basic attack (melee attack with Battleaxe. Average damage, Melee attack, 30% chance to freeze.)
- Boar Cleaver (High damage, Melee attack, 60% chance to freeze, 10% chance for a critical hit, which deals double damage, 1 turn cool down)
- War Horn (Ranged attack, Lowers all stats for all enemies by 1 for 4 turns, Cannot be dodged, Does not stack)
- Berserk (Increases damage by 25%, Increases speed by 1 level, Gives all abilities a +10% crit chance and increases effect of 'War Horn' to 6 turns for 2 turns, 6 turn cool down)
- Frost Bolt (Medium damage, Ranged attack, 30% chance to stun)
- Ice Skin (protective ice armor, increases armor by 1 level, decreases speed by 1 level)
- Healing Rune (Average healing, Self, 4 turn cool down)
- Rune of Hel (turns caster into a Draugr for the rest of the duel. Making fire and holy attacks resist 2 levels of armor, health depletes by 5 each turn, but damage is increased by 2% for each health less than maximum, Speed and armor is increased by 1 level per 20 health less than maximum)
—————
Health: 65/65
Speed: Low
Armor: High

@HahiHa

By the way, I forgot to tell you that I changed your abilities a bit. Battle-axes fall under heavy melee weapon proficiency so I changed axe proficiency to that. Also runes go under three categories supportive, defensive and offensive. Both of your runes fit under supportive so I changed rune casting to supportive runes.

@etg2002

You're half human and half elf, but what kind of elf? It seems from your physical description to be high-elf, but I would like clarification

To all: I will also have a balancing round to see if anything is overpowered before the actual tournament will start.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Nice! Thanks for posting the actual numbers, it will help calculations. I am not entirely sure these numbers will work but we shall see about that in the testing round

Very high damage deals 16-18 damage before armor.

So very high damage is a bit more than 2*low? But according to the pattern, high damage should be 14 - 16 before armor and very high 18 - 20 (every next level takes it 4 points higher in every other case). It's understandable but you may need an extra level, extremely high damage which can deal 18 - 20 damage before armor. If not for anything else, because we may deal that kind of damage through stat changes. And to speak for my character, I have this ability:

Blazing Meteor (While Flying, lands onto an enemy with full force, Very high damage, Can be used at any range except for very long, Takes 2 turns, 100% chance to stun, Can only be used once per battle.)

While I admit that the chance to stun somewhat makes up for this, very high damage is still 2*low damage. So basically, I use my 2 turn overdrive attack, during the first turn of which I am not only obviously vulnerable, but also don't deal any damage to the opponent, to deal 2*low damage in the end...wouldn't it be just better if I fired of 2 fists of Fury? In fact any of my attacks would have a better effect than my most powerful attack, the attack that I can use only once per battle.

In my opinion, High damage should be 2*low damage and very high damage should 2* average damage or at least, Very high damage = average + low damage. It makes more sense, since we have all these different damaging abilities

I know I've been pointing out a lot of things here, I try not to complain, but I really like this iddea and want to see it work. Sorry if you think I am a bit overwhelming

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

Nivlac, yes, it is haf human, half high elf. forgot to clarify. also, what is the speed and armor percentages? is there a certain percentage to dodge a attack with average speed, or is it every so often? does armor take off a fixed amount or random?

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

@Doombreed

How's this?

Very low damage deals 2-4 damage before armor.

low damage deals 6-8 damage before armor.

Average damage deals 10-12 damage before armor.

High damage deals 12-16 damage before armor.

Very high damage deals 20-24 damage before armor.

@etg2002

Very low speed has a 0% chance to dodge and it takes 2 turns to move 1 range. (You can only get this speed through stat changes, it can't be a base speed.)

low speed has a 5% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 1 range.

Average speed has a 15% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 1 range.

High speed has a 25% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 1 range.

Very high speed has a 35% chance to dodge and it takes 1 turn to move 2 ranges. (You can only get this speed through stat changes, it can't be a base speed.)

Very low Armor resists 0% of damage. (You can only get this armor through stat changes, it can't be a base armor.)

low Armor resists 5% of damage.

Average Armor resists 10% of damage.

High Armor resists 15% of damage.

Very high Armor resists 20% of damage. (You can only get this armor through stat changes, it can't be a base armor.)

After finalizing damage I'm going to change the cool downs a bit.

Doombreed

Name: Doombreed
Title: Daemon Prince
Physical Description: 3.5m tall, Large Build, No Hair, Dark Red Skin, Yellow Eyes, Horns, Wings, Male.
Race: Demon
Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Fire Magic, Warp aura (The ground around the Demon slowly becomes tainted, making it more difficult to traverse. Allows traveling through Warp portals or summoning minions through them), Furious Charge ( additional damage when charging or bull rushing opponents)
Skills:
- Swipe (Basic sword attack, Average damage, Melee attack)
- Fist of Fury (Punches the target, low damage, Melee attack, 50% chance to stun)
- Fireball (Shoots one Fireball, Average Damage, Ranged Attack, 30% chance to burn)
- Blink (No damage, Self, Teleports user to any range, 2 turn cool down)
- Flurry (Multiple Sword Swipes, High Damage, Melee attack, 2 turn cool down)
- Bull Rush (Rushes the target, smashing through obstacles and trampling opponents, Average Damage, Can be used at any range except short, Moves user to close range, Takes 1 turn at medium range, 2 at long range and 3 at very long range, 1 turn cool down)
- Air Raid (A fast aerial rush that attempts to hit the target from a medium range instantly, and remaining mid air, Medium damage, Melee Attack, If user is at medium range they can swoop in, attack and come back to medium range, 1 turn cool down)
- Blazing Meteor (While Flying, lands onto an enemy with full force, Very high damage, Can be used at any range except for very long, Takes 2 turns, 100% chance to stun, Can only be used once per battle.)
- Flamethrower (Breathes fire, Continuous multi-turn flame attack, High damage, Close range ranged attack, 60% chance to burn, Has to be used at least twice in succession, Cannot be dodged, 3 turn cool down after last time being used in succession)
- Daemonic Roar (demoralizing attack designed to lower enemy stats, Very Low damage, Ranged attack, Lowers all stats for all enemies by 1 for 3 turns, Cannot be dodged, Does not stack)
- Warp Portal (opens a portal anywhere. Can travel between portals only after a second portal has been opened)
- Summon daemon (Summons a daemonic minion through a portal. Daemons can only live for 4 turns and can only attack up close with their sword. They also have low armor and health but a somewhat high dodge chance in close range, Only one daemon can be summoned at a time)

@Loop_Stratos

Name: Claunch
Title: Burning Spirit
Physical Description: 1.6m tall, Medium Build, Brown hair, White Skin, Light Blue Eyes, Male.
Race: Ghost
—————
Equipment: Flame Longsword, Fire Shield, Burning Armor
Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Shadow Magic, Fire Magic, Hovering
Skills:
-Fireball(Med damage, Ranged attack, 20% chance to burn)
-Sphere of Spirits(High damage, Ranged attack 20% recoil, 2 turn cool down)
-Fiery Slash of the Volcanoes (High dmg, Melee attack, 40% Chance to burn, 4 turn cool down)
-Fire Spin (Self, Increases armor by 1 level, lasts for 2 turns)
-Homing Flame(Low damage, Ranged attack, Never misses)
-Leech Life (Medium damage, Medium range ranged attack, heals 30% of damage dealt, 1 turn cool down)
-Shield of the thousand shadows(Blocks one attack, 5 turn cooldown)
-Fire Bombardement(Low damage, Ranged attack, Effects all enemies)
-Low-altitude flight(Flies for 6 turns. During flight, bypasses walls etc and increases speed by 1 level)
-Backstab (Flies to behind enemy and stabs. Medium damage, Melee attack, If user is at medium range they can fly in and attacks, Cannot be done during flight.)
—————
Health: 45/45
Speed: High
Armor: Average

etg2002

Name: Alcolm Malorno
Title: Flaming Swordmaster
Physical Description: 5' 10", somewhat thin, slightly pale skin, dark grey hair, white eyes, male.
Race: Elfling (Half High Elf, Half Human)
—————
Equipment: Flaming Rapier (burning), light body armor (Bracers, lightweight Chestplate, and shin guards), as well as a guantlet that looks like it contain the essence of flame.
Abilities: Sword proficiency, Fire magic, Stealth, Acrobatics (speedy and able to jump far)
Pets: None
Skills:
Battle Calm (Calms user in the midst of battle, sharpening the users senses and making the user far more efficient. Happens when below 50% health, increases speed by 1 level and damage dealt by 25%
Essence of Flame: (fire a beam of pure heat from users gauntlet. High Damage, Medium range ranged attack, 30% chance to burn, 4 turn cool down)
Sword masters Attack (A flurry of swipes that decimate anyone in the users way, High damage, Melee attack, 2 turn cool down)
Flaming Stab: (Average damage, Melee attack, 50% chance to hit, 100% chance to burn, Ignores armor, 1 turn cool down)
Frenzy: (increases damage dealt by 25% and also ignores 15% of armor until Frenzy is over, but decreases dodge chance by 20% and armor by 20%, Lasts 3 turns)
Final stand (Whenever the user is below 20% health, the user decides they are about to die, and they decide to take as many as they can with them. increasing damage by 50%, decreasing armor by 50%, decreasing dodge by 25%, and all abilities get an extra 30% chance to burn.)
Fit (If the user hasn't been attacked in 2 turns, hasn't attacked an enemy in 2 turns and they have 75% health or higher, The user regains all health lost and loses all status effects.)
—————
Health: 60/60
Speed: Average

@HahiHa

Name: Norðri Jötunn-Blood
Title: Warrior
Physical Description: 2m tall / brawny / golden hair / full beard / pale skin / black eyes / male
Race: Einherjar
—————
Equipment: Frost Battleaxe / mail worn over a gambeson / war horn
Abilities: Heavy Weapon Proficiency / Frost Magic / Supportive Runes / Berserking
Skills:
- Basic attack (melee attack with Battleaxe. Average damage, Melee attack, 30% chance to freeze.)
- Boar Cleaver (High damage, Melee attack, 60% chance to freeze, 10% chance for a critical hit, which deals double damage, 2 turn cool down)
- War Horn (Ranged attack, Lowers all stats for all enemies by 1 for 4 turns, Cannot be dodged, Does not stack)
- Berserk (Increases damage by 25%, Increases speed by 1 level, Gives all abilities a +10% crit chance and increases effect of 'War Horn' to 6 turns for 2 turns, 4 turn cool down)
- Frost Bolt (Medium damage, Ranged attack, 30% chance to stun)
- Ice Skin (protective ice armor, increases armor by 1 level, decreases speed by 1 level)
- Healing Rune (Average healing, Self, 4 turn cool down)
- Rune of Hel (turns caster into a Draugr for the rest of the duel. Making fire and holy attacks not be effected by armor, health depletes by 5 each turn, but damage is increased by 1% for each health less than maximum, Speed and armor is increased by 1 level per 20 health less than maximum)
—————
Health: 65/65
Speed: Low
Armor: High

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Damage seems definitely more balanced I like it. Now we wait for the testing round to see if it's actually going to work

Also, some questions I've been meaning to ask:

- Are we going to roll the dice for our chances to hit and effects? So if we use an attack that has a 30% chance to stun, do we roll 2 d10s, one for accuracy and one for effect and successfully apply the effect on a roll of 8+ for example? Or are you going to do that while moderating the battle?

- Are we going to have critical hits? if so, is their rate affected by speed? Do we have to roll dice for them?

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

@Doombreed

-No dice rolling needed I will use random.org to determine things like that.

-I wasn't planing on critical hits. Although, HahiHa's boar cleaver has a special effect where in can be critical hit, and his berserking skill makes all of his skills have a chance for a critical hits.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Seeing my only melee is a 4-turn cd, can i add some more?

-Shadow Cut(Med dmg, melee)
-Fire and Spirits, Fused Slash(Extremely High Damage, 5 turn CD, 60% Recoil, 30% Burn Chance)

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

@Loop_Stratos

Defineately! Here is your new sheet.

Name: Claunch
Title: Burning Spirit
Physical Description: 1.6m tall, Medium Build, Brown hair, White Skin, Light Blue Eyes, Male.
Race: Ghost
—————
Equipment: Flame Longsword, Fire Shield, Burning Armor
Abilities: Sword Proficiency, Shadow Magic, Fire Magic, Hovering
Skills:
-Shadow Cut (Medium damage, Melee Attack)
-Fire and Spirits, Fused Slash (Very High Damage, 5 turn cool down, 60% recoil, 30% burn chance)
-Fireball(Med damage, Ranged attack, 20% chance to burn)
-Sphere of Spirits(High damage, Ranged attack 20% recoil, 2 turn cool down)
-Fiery Slash of the Volcanoes (High dmg, Melee attack, 40% Chance to burn, 4 turn cool down)
-Fire Spin (Self, Increases armor by 1 level, lasts for 2 turns)
-Homing Flame(Low damage, Ranged attack, Never misses)
-Leech Life (Medium damage, Medium range ranged attack, heals 30% of damage dealt, 1 turn cool down)
-Shield of the thousand shadows(Blocks one attack, 5 turn cooldown)
-Fire Bombardement(Low damage, Ranged attack, Effects all enemies)
-Low-altitude flight(Flies for 6 turns. During flight, bypasses walls etc and increases speed by 1 level)
-Backstab (Flies to behind enemy and stabs. Medium damage, Melee attack, If user is at medium range they can fly in and attacks, Cannot be done during flight.)
—————
Health: 45/45
Speed: High

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@nivlac724 The promised date is upon us Should we get started? I can't wait to utterly destroy HahiHa in mortal combat! xD

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

welp. i cannot respond for another 12 hours, give or take an hour or 2. GG! (takes effect quite soon)

Showing 16-30 of 33