ForumsQuestsDeterministic Dungeon Quests

23 20228
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

6 RNG-fueled Quests for Deterministic Dungeon.

http://quests.armorgames.com/game/18019/media/icon/fc53e89618bf5157e03c78daf17ddcf6.png?v=1461955815&vv=1461955817
Field Journalist
Open the field journal.
Hardness: Easy

http://quests.armorgames.com/game/18019/media/icon/25349fffe9361a6dc5ea03445e884b86.png?v=1461955851&vv=1461955852
Nooks and Crannies
Find 3 special golden orb rooms.
Hardness: Easy

http://quests.armorgames.com/game/18019/media/icon/9147bce76ed9790e9dbb86bf10e7fddd.png?v=1461955886&vv=1461955887
You Shall Not Pass
Defeat Bob the Balrog.
Hardness: Medium

http://quests.armorgames.com/game/18019/media/icon/635cd082111b3a30ec1988bbcca37768.png?v=1461955934&vv=1461955935
Bartering Beast
Trade the witch three tier III items.
Hardness: Medium

http://quests.armorgames.com/game/18019/media/icon/ffc2545f6aa2e7b1d9a8e9dc3b49d5bf.png?v=1461955999&vv=1461956000
Totem Totalitarian
Find all 5 totems.
Hardness: Hard

http://quests.armorgames.com/game/18019/media/icon/f0a49cc6e244a8dd720359c8aee1a089.png?v=1461956030&vv=1461956031
Deterministic Demon
Slay the dragon (floor 8-3).
Hardness: Hard

• 23 Replies
BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

I only got the first one. Game is original but you easily get annoyed with randomness concept.

TiSe88
TiSe88
432 posts
King

@BalkanRenegades It's not as random as it seems at first. If you time your clicks right (not that easy), you can choose what you get. Later on it's also possible to slower time by collecting totems.
For those who wonder what the totems do:
http://i.imgur.com/PK5sMKB.png

llama132
llama132
78 posts
King

The combat system is a bit unusual - when you're faced with multiple enemies, only 1 enemy attacks per turn. Since bigger enemies do more damage, it makes sense to kill those off before the smaller ones.

Also, does anyone know if "defend" has any purpose?

randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

This game gets REAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY tedious, especially if you die and what not. Your run will end poorly(painfully and with few results) if you can't somehow get the Mayan Totem(assuming you don't have godlike reflexes). Once you get it, it's just a challenge of cheesing the scenarios and bat'lething your way through the levels without making a mistake.

My main irritation with the game is that there's too much that's constantly being asked of the player. I don't really care about loot after a certain point, yet I have to continually choose the # and the amount. My totems hit the 20s by the end of the game. And the shop is so painful to use(walking in and out, rolling a 0 monster) makes it just not worth my effort.

Good concept, lots of annoying things that made me happy to quit the game by the end.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Starting levels really make or break you; had to farm abit before moving on initially.

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

6/6. Very easy game once you get some Mayan (green, slowdown) and possibly Hindu (gold, bigger loot chance) totems. Also, the only special weapon really worth it is the Bat'leth (8x0, 1x20), but only with some Mayan totems and a bit of practice. I used it the whole time from 4th floor onwards.

bakkart
bakkart
636 posts
Prince

Can't think of another game in which my initial favorable impression changed into complete loathing. Sigh. Two long sets of badges in a row. Could we have a non-grinding game for badges next time?

Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

Yeah the idea was interesting for about 10 minutes. Then the whole thing just became stupidly tedious.

Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

Well on the plus side it was ridiculously easy once you get the hang of it. Got every quest in 1 run, and that was with not getting a totem until the 4th boss.

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

Here is a commented field journal for all those questers who have no idea which loot should they choose.

bakkart
bakkart
636 posts
Prince

In my first run, I was doing pretty well without a totem up until 3-3 or so, but then despite my being able to beat most enemies easily, the attrition rate on health was difficult to counter. On my second run, I spent a lot of time resetting on the gold chest on 1-3 until I had all five totems (2 green) and things are clipping along now.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

How do you reset the gold chest?

bakkart
bakkart
636 posts
Prince

Okay, finally made it through this game. Can wash my hands of this one, even though it had great potential.

When you get to 1-3 or any other gold chest, aim for getting totems as much as you can. I can't quite remember how many choices you have when you start out (o-1-2-3?) but regardless, click "quit" after you've made your choices, just before you exit or "apply" the "Equip Yourself!" screen. When you start again, you will have retained any totems that you accumulated. I spent a lot of time on 1-3 getting all five totems, and then a bunch of the green Mayan ones that slow things down. In the early game, this slowing down plus the gold Hindu (more loot) and the blue Alien (exp.) will help out a lot. I just wish I could have seen how much each actually contributed.

Once you have this in hand, it's pretty easy. You can easily choose how many chests to open, and what kind, and how many enemies to fight, and how hard each attack will be.

Notes:

1) Even though your total totems on the start screen will reflect how many you got through the restarting strategy, they won't show up in-game until you exit properly with at least one in that category. That is, if you got two Mayan totems and clicked the exit "x" for the equip screens, now you'll have a Mayan icon in the upper left with "x2" shown. Not sure how much this affects the effects. Once you get 10 or more, the second digit will be cut off -- e.g., 15 totems will show as "x1" and 24 totems will show as "x2"; just kind of annoying.

2) I believe you're capped at level 20, which I wish I would have known earlier. I would have played through much more quickly and not tried to level up early and so much. At any rate, I figured this out around 6-1, and from that point on, I just ran through the rooms clicking "0" enemies. Went really fast then, especially when I took the time to arrange the entrance and exit stairs next to each other.

3) The lightning scroll can wipe out lots of enemies at once, and they're easy to get. Great way to build up experience, but I had too much of a stockpile since I was planning on leveling up way past Level 20 ...

4) But the poison scroll might be best for the bosses; basically does double damage. That coupled with the late-game helps of the Viking and Dragon totems made even the final dragon boss fairly doable. A few healing scrolls wouldn't hurt, using them when the boss is frozen.

5) Wish there was more info on whether or not the Buff Weapon stacks, or what leveling up the Viking and Dragon totems does for attack levels or whatever.

Hope that helps!

pike88
pike88
1 posts
Peasant

What does the wand do?

llama132
llama132
78 posts
King

The game is repetitive and can get really grindy if you get only a few totems from your early rounds, since you lose everything besides totems when you die.

bakkart's strategy is definitely the best way to go about doing this game - just beat the first boss and get to the gold chest, then keep resetting the chest to get as many of the green mayan totems as possible.

The rest of the totems are nice to have too, but mayan are the #1 priority, because they make it easy to select the option you want (without requiring superhuman coordination and reflexes).

That lets you maximise the potential of the really hard-hitting weapons like the axe, the black mace thing and the bat'leth secret weapon, without getting hurt by zeroes every other round.

What does the wand do?

It sells for 3 stars in the magic room. Aside from that, it just seems like rubbish.
Showing 1-15 of 23