ForumsPopular MediaMy thoughts on Civil War

2 4655
Adder1234
Adder1234
14 posts
Farmer

I actually quite liked Captain America Civil War but I found the so called plot twists very predictable.
One thing I found hilarious though was that Nick Fury never showed up, so all I could think of was him watching the fights on the news while face palming and calling them all dumb *****.

• 2 Replies
Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

I liked the movie, although there were a couple very questionable things that required several of the heroes to act in the absolute dumbest manner possible for the conflict to happen.

On the positive side, Zemo was everything that Lex Luthor should have been in Batman v Superman. There is no maniacal over the top craziness. There is no grand speech of how noble his goals are. No preening and posturing for attention. No, he's just a driven man quietly going about the business of getting his revenge. And he SUCCEEDS.

For the questionable parts, the whole 'we demand oversight over the Avengers', there were several arguments that I wanted to just slap people because they weren't making them. The whole thing when the dude is throwing up the videos of New York/Sokovia etc, and demanding oversight, should have INSTANTLY been shot down with the simple statement, "The Avengers did not exist before Loki had already claimed the Tessaract. Our existence caused nothing to do with New York. In fact, your OVERSIGHT wanted to nuke the city. The Avengers were what saved everybody."

Then the Triskelion when Captain America destroyed the ships. There was ALREADY oversight over SHIELD. That's what Secretary Pierce WAS. Rogers destroyed 3 ships that were explicitly already targeting tens of millions of people.

Then the other place they were fighting Crossbones. The incredibly simple question that NOBODY ASKED was whether they preferred a terrorist get away with a biological weapon. Because that's what had already happened, the Avengers were only fighting him AFTER he stole it. If the Avengers did nothing, a terrorist now has a biological weapon. That's somehow preferable to a few people unfortunately dying in a suicide explosion by said terrorist?

Sokovia is literally the only incident that could be laid at the door of the Avengers (or Iron Man, specifically), since he created Ultron. So certainly some blame to be assigned there.

But I simply could not comprehend why none of the Avengers even tried to argue every other thing they were trying to lump in with that.

Adder1234
Adder1234
14 posts
Farmer

I think that we can all agree that the whole "blaming every death on the Avengers" argument was just plain stupid.
Also, it seams to me that the only characters that actually wanted to fight over the matter were Ironman, Cap and Black Panther, so why was everyone else even involved. Some of them I could understand because they were just helping out their friends, but in particular Antman and Spiderman had literally no business in that fight, they weren't even part of the Avengers.

Showing 1-2 of 2