ForumsForum GamesIsland under a godly dome V2 [RP/RPG]

31 17144
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

APPLICATIONS CLOSED!

http://i.imgur.com/0uyG29B.png
Welcome to the island of Tulse. In terms of land mass it's approximately as big as Poland and has slightly less than 4 million inhabitants. The level of technology here is about the same as the one in the 15th century in our land. Mostly swords, bows and catapults are used for combat, however, muskets and cannons are slowly taking their place. All people here look just like humans, the only difference is in the eyes. The pupil is shaped like a vertical line and the iris is bright and has no texture (like a viper eye). This is how the island itself looks like on a map:

http://i.imgur.com/kAHivd9.jpg
Click this for better quality

Backstory:

This island is isolated from the rest of the world by an invisible shell. Except for clouds, nothing can enter the interior of the dome and nothing can exit. If you travel a few miles away in the sea, you can even touch it. The dome doesn't let anyone outside see anything inside it, however, everyone inside can see what's outside - nothing, but an open sea. The dome is indestructible, no matter how much magic, weapons or bizarre items have been used against it for the last few centuries, it doesn't have a single crack.

Nobody knows why it's there or how it got there and nobody really cares. Some say it was created by someone, some say that the dome is the creator of everything in the world and has been there since the beginning of time. Thanks to this theory, mostly everyone has a religion based on the dome. A concept of an outside world has been thought of several times, but has not been properly explored.

There are 37 ruling factions on this island. Some bigger, some smaller, some stronger, some weaker. 36 of these factions had a 13 year long war before making a ceasefire agreement 10 years ago due to war exhaustion and massive inflation from debt. This truce ends in 2 days. All factions are building fortresses on their borders and spending everything they have on their military. A large war is coming and tensions are large.

Rules:

There are 3 very important rules when playing this. These rules are the only reason this isn't a raw RP.

1. Your character is not allowed to be able to destroy, go through, change shape or influence the dome in any way.

2. You cannot choose the consequences of your actions.

3. Time travel (kinda) does not exist. You can slow time down, pause it or make it go faster, but you can't "teleport" to a certain period of time, nor can you travel back in time.

Application sheet:

Despite this being an RP/RPG, you'll only need to post this sheet once. Your "stats" may change as time goes on, but the changes are going to be either so important that you'll remember them automatically or so unimportant that there won't be a need to remember them at all.

Name, surname: [You can have multiple names as well if you wish, you can even use a dynasty instead of a surname if you want to be fancy.]

Location: [Open the map in paint, and highlight where you want to be located, if you can't manage that, we'll come up with some alternate methods]

Appearance: [I'll try to illustrate your character, so try to go in detail.]

Personality: [At least one line on this...that'd be lovely.]

Biography: [Life-changing events, important people, that kind of stuff. Anything that doesn't break the rules.]

Element: [Choose one: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Lightning, Poison, Ice, Dark, Light, Physical, Void. Even if you won't use magic, you still require one.]

Quick note if you don't plan on using magic: The physical element doubles your physical strength, all of the other ones are magic-related.

Magical skill(s): [Whatever you want this/these to be. Can be something very simple like breathing fire, or can be something complex like controlling one's mind for a minute if you raise your left arm with your eyes closed. You can even give these abilities names if you so desire, or you can not have any abilities at all. Anything is acceptable as long as it follows the rules.]

Magic:

You can skip this if you don't intend to use magic.

Since I don't want magic to be too overpowered, I'll nerf it down by making it as complicated as possibly I can. Let's start with the elements: Most are pretty basic except void. Let me explain - Void is an anti-magic element. A weak void particle can make a large hole in an entire ocean of magic generated water if used correctly, but there's an issue with void magic. It damages only magic. It can't do anything against physical things like animals, objects, plants, people e.t.c. And since mages are not a common thing on the island, void is proclaimed as the most useless element of all.

A very important thing is that a person's element is not actually all that important. This is because your element only affects the speed and efficiency of learning a magic skill. Just because you are water elemental, doesn't mean you can't learn fire magic. It will just take a longer time to learn.

Depending on the complexity, one magical skill usually requires a several weeks to learn, if it's from a different element, it takes about several times longer.

There is also a good reason why mages are a rare thing on the island. Let me explain: everyone has this thing called 'mana', I'm pretty sure you all know what it is. If a magic ability is used, it takes away a certain amount of mana. This amount depends on the power of the magical skill. The problem is that people have different amounts of mana. Some have more, some have less, some don't have any at all. And if you happen to use up more mana than you have, it will start draining your blood, disable body parts, destroy your lungs and so on. Since nobody knows how much mana they have, using a magical skill for the first time results in death or permanent damage on one's body about 6/10 times.

There's much more info about magic that I haven't explained, but this introduction is already long enough, so let's move on.

Factions:

This info is based on the things that the island's inhabitants say about them.

Crusaders:

http://i.imgur.com/Tes9LTU.jpg

This faction thinks that the dome has a creator, and that creator is supposed to be the one everyone should obey. They fight to enforce this new religion and enslave/kill/imprison anyone who thinks otherwise. Those who agree with them need to pay taxes for them, so that they can donate that money to their so-proclaimed god. Most people believe these are lies, and those who say these speculations out loud are immediately considered infidels and are treated as such. Nobody is allowed to leave the Crusader lands. Their army has a total of 5600 soldiers, 32 transport ships and 22 battleships. They have the worst military technology on the island and don't have a lot of mages to compensate, but their soldiers are very brave and have a never-ending morale. They have a rather solid economy despite most of their land being on the desert. This is because they're the only faction with gold mines in them.

Vermile's Empire:

http://i.imgur.com/N7Np4sy.jpg

The most powerful faction of all. They have 9300 soldiers, 74 transport ships and 52 battleships, as well as the largest land mass. Magic is often used in their wars. They simply fight to control the island. Nobody really knows what will happen if they successfully do it and this mystery terrifies everyone. Most of their lands are very undeveloped, but what really helps their economy is their alliance with Clarity.

Guardians:

http://i.imgur.com/VzB3trO.jpg

The most supported faction of all. They want eternal peace on the island and want to achieve it by invading the Crusaders and Vermile's Empire. Unlike any other faction they have a council of seven people. Every four years two people are voted to leave the council by the faction's citizens and two are voted to replace them. This confirms that people's interests are important to this faction. Despite being the most populated, they're actually the poorest of all. They never have enough money to supply their armies and people, resulting in terrible fortifications, broken equipment and lots of diseases within their inhabitants. They have 6300 soldiers, 40 transport ships and 14 battleships. Mages are very common due to the population.

Holy Indra's Alliance:

http://i.imgur.com/tf6KvwO.jpg

A union of 31 small factions in the south west to defend themselves from Vermile's expansion. None of these factions are allowed to fight each other, and if anyone outside the alliance attacks one of the factions, the rest will be called in the war. Not only that, but the Guardians have a direct alliance with them as well. Each one has different amounts of soldiers, varying from 100 to 1500. All of them together have a total of 6100 soldiers, 20 transport ships and 37 battleships. They only have about 20 mages in their army.

Clarity:

http://i.imgur.com/xPLWoUM.jpg

Best economy on the island, in terms of technology they're about 40 years ahead of everyone. They're the only faction that uses muskets and cannons as main weapons for combat. They have several layers of thick fortresses all over their land, their army has 2000 soldiers, 50 of which are mages, 10 transport ships and 56 battleships. The army is constantly fully funded and is ready for war if anyone ever dares to attack them. They're the only ones that have never participated in a war, because they have great relations with literally every other faction on the island and nobody really wants to mess with them because of the reasons mentioned above. They have no ideology, resulting in them being the most stable on the island.

Cess and Leija are the factions with the diplomatically worst situation. Their defeat once the truce ends is obvious. It's only a matter of who takes them first. Cess is in a slightly better situation, though, because Crusaders have threatened Vermile's Empire with war if invade Cess. Leija's army consists of 1200 soldiers and 10 battleships, whereas Cess has only 300 soldiers and 2 transport ships.

This is how all the factions look like on the map:

http://i.imgur.com/vZAX9Xw.jpg
Click this for better quality

The little blobs on the map are capitals of the factions. The ones in Holy Indra's Alliance have the capitals named after the factions. And yes, there are capitals that are located directly on borders.

And that's as brief as I can get with the story. If you have anything to ask, put it in [these brackets, so I know it's meant for me].

• 31 Replies
Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

I give Errol a greeting. Seems like the general is winning. I think and continue observing.

(Why not use quotation marks though? Confuses me a little bit.

wookie1196
wookie1196
856 posts
Jester

[when I said 'beat up' I didn't mean that bad.]

After doing my morning stretches, I look under my bed for the money I've been saving up for a healer.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

I apologize for not posting for so long. I've been having issues with my keyboard and when I bought a new one, my internet started going nuts as well. Though, I've dealt with all these problems now so I'm able to continue. (Way to start off the game :P)

@Dujas (Dujas Dragonrider)

After this response your brother smiles at you as if he would want to say he doesn't see a problem with opening the chest. A few seconds later, though, he stops smiling and looks at it. He then looks back at you and asks

-Do you think this is a deathtrap?

As he asks the question, you see someone far in the distance. It seems like a man with a pale skin and red robe. He is walking toward the direction of the shelter.

@Sept1cL0cket (John Steele)

You head to the bush from where the blood splashed out of. While doing so you look around to see if there's any strange movement or color that doesn't fit with the rest, ultimately finding nothing. You reach the shrub and inside it you see a bleeding human leg that's sunk slightly inside the earth. This must be the reason why the thing was bleeding so heavily on it's way deeper into the forest.

@Loop_Stratos (Stratos Axorez)

[It feels very strange placing quotation marks in a sentence that's not a part of another sentence. And since I'm not a writing expert, always putting the character's texts in another sentence looks very weird when I try to do it. So I thought I could do it like this instead. So how about instead of quotation marks I make the character's texts in italic?]

Errol doesn't respond to your greeting, though he does respond to your "compliment" to the general with a grin. The general is intensively looking at the board. It seems he'll be doing the next turn. The Crusader looks at the entrance of the training fields. Two men walk in and one of them is carrying a pile of rolled-up papers on one of his shoulders. Those are most probably maps. Both of these men have uniforms nobody here has seen before. The uniforms are white and have a blue cross on their chest that's shaped just like the one of the Crusaders. The general reading the book gets up, closes the book, goes inside a tent and comes out with a folded piece of paper heading toward the two men.

During this time, the general places his knight on the white square to the top left of the left rook.

@wookie1196 (Zexed Dakumeiji)

[Yeah, I guess I went a little bit too far with the damages. Let's just say that you have one blind eye and the fingers mentioned above are disabled. Does that sound appropriate?]

Below your bed is a small chest. The key to it is in your pocket. This chest was given to you by Codeth. He said that this small case was given to him by his parents that he last saw several years ago. He didn't really have a use for it so he said that you can have it, but you need to give it back when you intend to go away. Inside it there's a rather fair amount of money. Chances are that you'll reach the amount you want right when the truce between all factions ends.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

(The old system works better than italics imo. When i reply in an RPG/RPs, i usually do italics to note monologuing)

"compliment"

I thought i didn't say that out loud. Oh well.

I continue watching.

wookie1196
wookie1196
856 posts
Jester

I decide that since healer prices are probably going to go up a lot when the truce ends, I'm going to have to take a big job to hurry this up. I then shut and lock the chest, get dressed and head downstairs to see what Codeth is doing.

Dujas
Dujas
59 posts
Bard

"Brother, look out there.Find weapons,supplies,and run away okay?I'll see what he wants.Pass me that dagger,forget the box."I say to my brother.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

@Sept1cL0cket (John Steele)

You take the leg in your hand. You hold it upside down so that the blood doesn't start spilling on your hands. The first thing that you feel when grabbing it is that the skin is extremely thin and the bones are easy to feel as well. As if it's literally nothing but blood and bones without muscle. This might be a good explanation why it is so easy to damage.

After a little bit of thinking you come to the conclusion that the thing must have been using it's hands while running as well, since it was moving so fast that it was simply impossible to notice any details. Whether it will come back is a debatable question.

@Loop_Stratos (Stratos Axorez)

[So you'd recommend me to use the quotation marks?]

While Errol is thinking what his next move is going to be, the general who was reading the book shakes hands with the two men who just entered this place. He gives one of them the folded piece of paper while one of them gives the general the scrolls. They do a small exchange of words and the two men leave with the folded piece of paper. The general walks back into the tent with the scrolls and immediately comes out of it with the book he was reading earlier in his hands.

Errol moves his rook on the right three squares lower (at the bottom, basically).

@wookie1196 (Zexed Dakumeiji)

Before exiting the room you notice another small chest on the upper-floor bed. The lock on it is different from your chest. As you head downstairs, Codeth starts hammering and it gets louder and louder the further down you go. Once you reach the lower floor you see your friend hammering the tip of a sword. He has put a piece of paper on the table next to him. On the paper you see a sketch that looks like this. You've seen paintings of swords like this before. Codeth once said that weapons shaped like this were very commonly used by the Cess faction that used to own the entirety of the northern part of the island about 50 years ago. Once the truce started, though, they started using normal swords.

Codeth doesn't notice that you've entered the room and keeps hammering the sword.

@Dujas (Dujas Dragonrider)

Your brother quickly reacts, throwing the chest in the hole that's in the floor. He takes your dagger and before tossing it to you, he looks in the distance. The unknown person stops for a second and then starts aggressively running toward the direction of the house. Your sibling looks at you and says:

-I don't think you'd like to see what he wants.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

(I would)
(Wait what? Which rook?)

I continue watching. I ask if I can take a seat.

wookie1196
wookie1196
856 posts
Jester

I use the wind to slightly augment my voice so he can hear me, "Who's the relic for?"

Dujas
Dujas
59 posts
Bard

We decided to run to the north and then when the man is out of sight,we run towards the nearest town.

wookie1196
wookie1196
856 posts
Jester

Is this thread already dead?

eliakith
eliakith
2,419 posts
Blacksmith

@jeff1999 i tried to contact you on your profile. Am I or am I not in the game?

wookie1196
wookie1196
856 posts
Jester

Dang. I was sure this one would last longer.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

Yeah...I was kind of hoping for the same thing. I just never run out of flaws to notice here. Third time's not going to be a charm...probably. There's no way I am abandoning this concept, though, as it is always in the back of my head every single day. I have no clue where I'll be going with it when it's complete, but I am 100% sure that right now it isn't.

wookie1196
wookie1196
856 posts
Jester

Either way, I still enjoy playing your games and will continue to. Heck, if you just want help with some in-game concepts you think of, just message me privately and I will do my best to help you.

Showing 16-30 of 31