ForumsWEPRBrexit and the consequences...thoughts?

34 20301
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

As you are probably aware, the British Exit from the EU is a reality. With a scenario that is going to take place during the next 2 years, politicians, analysts and pretty much everyone else talks about a nightmare.

First of all, David Cameron is now resigning. Despite his earlier statement, in which he swore not to resign, regardless of the result of the referendum, his resignation is now more or less a fact.

The British pound is already at the lowest point since 1985 in comparison to the USD and the yen

The 'hole' left in the EU due to the British exit now has to be covered by the other member nations of the EU. I do not know about the direct repercussions in other countries but, Greece may have to offer an amount increased by 150 million Euros per year.

Additionally, Scotland and Northern Ireland are now re-examining the situation, considering leaving the UK. I do not know about the Welsh though.

Politicians in France and Italy also ask for this referendum to occur in their countries as well.

The leaders of the EU are meeting to assess the damage and put emergency plans in motion but all in all, the results of this are considered to be dire for all other member nations in the EU

What are your thoughts on this?

(P.S. Also, anyone who follows British politics more closely may officially consider themselves encouraged to drop by this thread and post his/her opinion I'd like to hear your thoughts on this more than anyone)

• 34 Replies
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

There is no certainty about staying in the EU. They said that they wouldn't just let Scotland in last time.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Well, Scotland would have to negotiate their own agreements, of course. Also, there are more than enough different groups related to the EU that Scotland can join, with or without the UK (the EFTA for example wouldn't mind England joining them again).

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

There are many more arguments. Anyway, Scotland voted to stay as part of the UK. The UK voted to leave the EU.

Unfortunately your argument here is flawed. Yes the UK voted to leave however the majority of Scotland voted to remain, in the previous referendum, of Scottish independence, leaving the EU wasn't a major point. Now that the UK has left the EU, Scottish people will be more likely to vote to leave the UK in favor of the EU. During the previous referendum for independence the EU wasn't a major point because the EU would have kept Scotland in the EU if it became independent, however now that the UK is leaving, the EU has extended the same olive branch to Scotland. Meaning that the people who want to leave the UK and the people that want to stay in the EU appeals to nationalists and to the majority of the youth meaning the vote will more likely swing for independence.

but they are still parts of a whole country.

A whole union, not country, Scotland is it's own country, as is Wales, and England. They are not a whole country.

Anyways, the referendum isn't legally binding so this may not happen at all.

article 50

On this matter, there is an interesting theory passing around the internet that David Cameron left office to make this neigh on impossible. I'll see if I can find it now.

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

Well, since this is the thread about Brexit... :P

A few days after the UK voted Leave, the English football team left the Euros. HAHA

Some reactions:

"Hannes Þór Brexitsson voted leave." (BTW, did you know that he actually directed Iceland's 2012 ESC song? Really.)

"England's manager makes 4.6 million a year. Iceland's manager is a part time dentist."

“England beaten by a country with more volcanoes than professional footballers.” (130 vs. ~90. 25 years ago, there were zero.)

"Frozen 2."

"I demand a replay, it's not the result I wanted. Is there an on-line petition I can support?"
Showing 31-34 of 34